Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Johnston relishing the pressure ahead of Fleetwood test

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Johnston relishing the pressure ahead of Fleetwood test 16650544

It is hard to believe just 12 months ago George Johnston was winning Wanderers’ Young Player of the Year award.

The centre-back is still only 24 years of age but has come a long way since the start of the season, becoming a leader in the backline.

Johnston spent several months on the sidelines with an ankle injury but has picked up where he left off since returning to action in the Papa Johns Trophy final against Plymouth.

The former Liverpool and Feyenoord youngster is pleased with the progress he has made at Bolton but believes there is still more to come.

“I think I have had a good season,” he told The Bolton News. “Obviously, the injury kind of hampered it a little bit but I am happy to get back playing after the final and carry on where I left off.

“I feel like I have progressed massively this year and I am much more confident in my own abilities.

“There are still areas to improve, of course. I think there are for everyone, no-one is the complete package.

“But as long as I keep improving year-on-year, it is going to stand me in good stead for a good career.”

The Whites have one of the best defensive records in League One this season and Johnston has played a big role in that trend.

Ian Evatt’s men have conceded 34 times in the league, a total only second-place Ipswich can better with two games to go.

“We pride ourselves on (clean sheets). Before the last game, we had the joint-best defensive record in the division,” Johnston added.

“It is a great bedrock for us to push on from. It helps the strikers knowing they only need one goal to win us the game. It definitely gives them a leg up!”

There is plenty on the line ahead of Wanderers’ final two matches against Fleetwood and Bristol Rovers.

The Whites currently sit fifth in the table but are only a couple of points above seventh-place Peterborough as they battle to secure a play-off spot.

Johnston knows the stakes are high but insists there are no nerves as soon as they step over the white line.

“On the pitch we have no nerves or tension because we have a clear plan and idea of how the game will go,” he explained.

“We know if we keep chipping away, a goal will come. Unfortunately, it didn’t the other night (against Accrington) but we have to stick to our plan and back ourselves.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum