Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Global Warming

+4
wanderlust
Sluffy
Whitesince63
Norpig
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

61Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:09 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
 Enjoy all your holidays mate, we aren't all bitter about it on here  Very Happy
I'm very bitter.

Global Warming - Page 4 Capsize-fall

62Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:18 am

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very Happy

63Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:24 am

Whitesince63


Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sorry to hear about your problems lusty, there are crooks everywhere these days just waiting for the opportunity and it sadly doesn’t look like getting any better, probably worse I’m afraid. Never mind into every life a little rain falls even in sunny (normally) Portugal?? 🥴

As it was the Global Warming thread though (wish it would hurry up its fleeing here) I wondered if anyone had any views on the much more serious note that Port Talbot are to close their two remaining Blast furnaces with both the loss of another 3,000 jobs many highly experienced and the capability to produce new high grade steel in the U.K., both yet again in the name of net zero? To make matters even better our government is contributing half a billion towards it. You couldn’t make it up. 🤨

64Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:31 am

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

All this gives me the feeling that the government people to be reliant on the welfare system! Shocked

65Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:18 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Labour ditches £28bn green investment pledge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68232133


This comes as no surprise to me - and what I've been trying to explain to W63 for months and months, and even more months as well!

In simple terms, the quicker  we get on top of keeping global warming from increasing by 1.5C by reducing the usage of the burning fossil fuels the better.

However that would take a massive shift away fossil fuel to green energy and at stupendous financial cost that will have to be borne by the taxpayer either through taxation or rising energy costs.

That will be very, very unpopular to the electorate and therefore no political party who pledges to spend £28 billion per year isn't going to get elected - look for example the effect of the London Emissions Charge had on the by-election for Boris seat which the Conservatives unexpectedly held!

So the move to go green WILL happen but gradually over a number of years - and will almost certainly mean keeping below the target of 1.5C will not be achieved although it may be clawed back by the target date of the year 2100.

So no wind turbines, solar panels and heat pumps on every street corner - as per the propaganda W63 has swallowed and rants about - but decidedly a worse world to inhabit for our children and their children thereafter.

So do as much as we can, no matter how little it might be in the scheme of things - because something is better than nothing for those who will be living with the effects of the planet which we have fucked up for them.

66Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:38 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Labour ditches £28bn green investment pledge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68232133


This comes as no surprise to me - and what I've been trying to explain to W63 for months and months, and even more months as well!

In simple terms, the quicker  we get on top of keeping global warming from increasing by 1.5C by reducing the usage of the burning fossil fuels the better.

However that would take a massive shift away fossil fuel to green energy and at stupendous financial cost that will have to be borne by the taxpayer either through taxation or rising energy costs.

That will be very, very unpopular to the electorate and therefore no political party who pledges to spend £28 billion per year isn't going to get elected - look for example the effect of the London Emissions Charge had on the by-election for Boris seat which the Conservatives unexpectedly held!

So the move to go green WILL happen but gradually over a number of years - and will almost certainly mean keeping below the target of 1.5C will not be achieved although it may be clawed back by the target date of the year 2100.

So no wind turbines, solar panels and heat pumps on every street corner - as per the propaganda W63 has swallowed and rants about - but decidedly a worse world to inhabit for our children and their children thereafter.

So do as much as we can, no matter how little it might be in the scheme of things - because something is better than nothing for those who will be living with the effects of the planet which we have fucked up for them.



https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68110310

67Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:51 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Almost as though I knew what I was talking about...

68Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:05 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Almost as though I knew what I was talking about...

I've given up arguing with the nay sayers. It's like arguing with Trumpers.

69Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:01 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Almost as though I knew what I was talking about...

I've given up arguing with the nay sayers. It's like arguing with Trumpers.

Sadly, as in this case, all the facts and information are provided for us to see and examine for ourselves but people can't be bothered and want to believe what they read on social media from biased and partisan sites or influencers. (Confirmation Bias - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias )

Time and time again on here I can point to instances where the vast majority rather believed social media than the facts - Anderson did not rape and pillage the club, PPE contracts were awarded legally and without political pressure, current  global warming is entirely down to the man made burning of fossil fuels but people rather believe what their friends are saying on social media instead.

That's the way the world is today.

And it isn't going to change.

We are the oddball's now Bonce for simply pointing out the truth.

Fiction (fake news) rules these days.

70Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:35 pm

Whitesince63


Andy Walker
Andy Walker

China, India, USA, Brazil, etc. What we do is totally irrelevant and we’ve already done more than almost anybody else. All we’ve done is self harm our economy by exporting our carbon emissions to others like we’re doing with the steel production. UK production 6m tonnes, China 1 billion plus tonnes and you think we can affect global warming. You’re deluded.

71Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:18 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:China, India, USA, Brazil, etc. What we do is totally irrelevant and we’ve already done more than almost anybody else. All we’ve done is self harm our economy by exporting our carbon emissions to others like we’re doing with the steel production. UK production 6m tonnes, China 1 billion plus tonnes and you think we can affect global warming. You’re deluded.

Deluded am I?

Certainly isn't what the science already shows if you had bothered yourself to actually read the article that Bonce posted the link to...

But researchers are keen to emphasise that humans can still make a difference to the world's warming trajectory.

The world has made some progress, with green technologies like renewables and electric vehicles booming in many parts of the world.

This has meant some of the very worst case scenarios of 4C warming or more this century - thought possible a decade ago - are now considered much less likely, based on current policies and pledges.

Here is a picture with an ostrich with it's head in the sand to represent your views on global warming...

Global Warming - Page 4 Alamy_A14A69-c-29b8790

...as I couldn't find one with its head up its arse!

72Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:18 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:



Global Warming - Page 4 Alamy_A14A69-c-29b8790

...as I couldn't find one with its head up its arse!

You're welcome. Very Happy

Global Warming - Page 4 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm6kK_34LtilAZEMPI8PzPgg05FJke2r6nWRbS7YxodQ&s

73Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:41 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Thank you, I guess!

Fwiw I never looked to see if there was one.

Trust you to do though!!!

Very Happy

74Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:38 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Thank you, I guess!

Fwiw I never looked to see if there was one.

Trust you to do though!!!

Very Happy
My google search history can't get any worse, so what the hell! Laughing

75Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:01 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
My google search history can't get any worse, so what the hell! Laughing

Very Happy

Actually the picture I posted above was of a real ostrich - it wasn't photoshopped or manipulated in any way as I thought it had been - this is what the explanation was...

Do ostriches really bury their head in the sand?

As flightless birds, ostriches are unable to build nests in trees, so they lay their eggs in holes dug in the ground. To make sure that the eggs are evenly heated, they occasionally stick their heads into the nest to rotate the eggs, which makes it look like they’re trying to hide – hence the myth.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/do-ostriches-really-bury-their-head-in-the-sand


It's more fun I think, looking things up and finding things out, I guess that's what you do too with your searches - much better than believing any old shite written by some random nutjob on social media is true and believable like most seem to do.

I wonder how many weeks Baxter will be out with his sore finger...?


(Only joking W63, only joking).


76Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:13 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Very Happy

Actually the picture I posted above was of a real ostrich - it wasn't photoshopped or manipulated in any way as I thought it had been - this is what the explanation was...

Do ostriches really bury their head in the sand?

As flightless birds, ostriches are unable to build nests in trees, so they lay their eggs in holes dug in the ground. To make sure that the eggs are evenly heated, they occasionally stick their heads into the nest to rotate the eggs, which makes it look like they’re trying to hide – hence the myth.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/do-ostriches-really-bury-their-head-in-the-sand


It's more fun I think, looking things up and finding things out, I guess that's what you do too with your searches - much better than believing any old shite written by some random nutjob on social media is true and believable like most seem to do.

I wonder how many weeks Baxter will be out with his sore finger...?


(Only joking W63, only joking).


It's the beauty of the internet, Sluffy. One thing leads to another, and another, and another.
The tragedy is, many people take everything they read as gospel, without cross checking their sources. It's why I never trust Wikipedia.
Great as it is, it's not a source I'd stake my life on.

77Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:51 am

Ten Bobsworth


Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

Very Happy

Actually the picture I posted above was of a real ostrich - it wasn't photoshopped or manipulated in any way as I thought it had been - this is what the explanation was...

Do ostriches really bury their head in the sand?

As flightless birds, ostriches are unable to build nests in trees, so they lay their eggs in holes dug in the ground. To make sure that the eggs are evenly heated, they occasionally stick their heads into the nest to rotate the eggs, which makes it look like they’re trying to hide – hence the myth.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/do-ostriches-really-bury-their-head-in-the-sand


It's more fun I think, looking things up and finding things out, I guess that's what you do too with your searches - much better than believing any old shite written by some random nutjob on social media is true and believable like most seem to do.

I wonder how many weeks Baxter will be out with his sore finger...?


(Only joking W63, only joking).


Coleman might be keen as mustard but I reckon we'd be in the soup without Baxter.
I'll get mi coat.

78Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:08 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
It's the beauty of the internet, Sluffy. One thing leads to another, and another, and another.
The tragedy is, many people take everything they read as gospel, without cross checking their sources. It's why I never trust Wikipedia.
Great as it is, it's not a source I'd stake my life on.

I use Wikipedia quite a lot, although I wouldn't stake my life on it either.

I find it a good starting point, and if you use it for non contentious stuff (for instance I linked to the wiki page for 'Confirmation bias' the other day) it is more than adequate to provide you with a pretty decent explanation of scientific and historical stuff, often number referencing their sources they've used.

From wiki, looking at their source references, I will often start to research deeper into more reputable studies (number referenced) to satisfy myself that what I'm reading is pukka and factual.

I'm certainly not too academically snobbish to shun Wiki but I do bear in mind that more 'celebrity' and 'current affairs' type stuff may indeed be unreliable and biased.

The main thing though is do your research and cross checking by whatever means work for you and never take for gospel anything you read on social media as nearly all of it is opinionated bollocks.

Fact check things always.

Very few do though!

79Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:10 am

Whitesince63


Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:

Deluded am I?

Certainly isn't what the science already shows if you had bothered yourself to actually read the article that Bonce posted the link to...

But researchers are keen to emphasise that humans can still make a difference to the world's warming trajectory.

The world has made some progress, with green technologies like renewables and electric vehicles booming in many parts of the world.

This has meant some of the very worst case scenarios of 4C warming or more this century - thought possible a decade ago - are now considered much less likely, based on current policies and pledges.

Here is a picture with an ostrich with it's head in the sand to represent your views on global warming...

Global Warming - Page 4 Alamy_A14A69-c-29b8790

...as I couldn't find one with its head up its arse!
Electric vehicles booming? Have you seen the latest figures? The only place they’re booming is in China where buyers have little or no choice. Both companies and vehicle hirers all over Europe are shunning them, manufacturers are reducing production numbers yet you still listen to the guff presented by the likes of the BBC and you call me deluded?

Why can’t you just see sense in that whilst everybody accepts the need to move to renewables, EV’s, heat pumps, windmills and solar are not the answer and even if they are tell that to the biggest emitters of CO2 who clearly aren’t listening as they burn more goal and use more gas every year. Get it into your thick skull that whatever we do here will make not one jot of meaningful difference to carbon levels, just decimate our economy in favour of the new grouping of of China, India and Russia who are only too keen for us to harm ourselves.

80Global Warming - Page 4 Empty Re: Global Warming Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:11 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Coleman might be keen as mustard but I reckon we'd be in the soup without Baxter.
I'll get mi coat.

:bow:

Sponsored content



Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum