Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Derby 1-0 Bolton

+8
karlypants
Sluffy
Norpig
okocha
finlaymcdanger
BoltonTillIDie
terenceanne
Hipster_Nebula
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

101bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 17:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

NURSE!

102bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 18:10

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The point being is that it is a PAINTING of a pipe and NOT an actual one.

Either the text ‘this is not a pipe’ is deliberately misleading or it makes us aware of the difference between representation and actuality (Credit: Succession Magritte c/o SABAM)

In the same way you are looking at the game of football in a way that ISN'T about the GAME of football but rather what that specific football match REPRESENTS to YOU.

They are two entirely separate things in just the same way the PAINTING of the pipe is NOT a pipe but is a representation of the actual pipe - it has been changed from what it is to something that you are seeing and applying your personal emotions to.

103bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 18:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No.
As Magritte himself acknowledged it is a painting of a pipe.But not to a blind man to whom it would be a frame with canvas in it. To a caveman it would be firewood.
To anyone from a culture that doesn’t use pipes or speak French it would be……

In essence you’re arguing that football is only a game  t to you I.e.in your opinion./ ftrom your perspective.

But you didn’t say that.

104bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 19:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:No.
As Magritte himself acknowledged it is a painting of a pipe.

???

Yes I've already given the answer...

Sluffy wrote:The point being is that it is a PAINTING of a pipe and NOT an actual one.

:rofl:

105bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 19:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was gifted an old pipe by a well known actor I met in a tea shop in Whitstable.
Holds happy memories for me.

106bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 21:01

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:No.
As Magritte himself acknowledged it is a painting of a pipe.But not to a blind man to whom it would be a frame with canvas in it. To a caveman it would be firewood.
To anyone from a culture that doesn’t use pipes or speak French it would be……

In essence you’re arguing that football is only a game  t to you I.e.in your opinion./ ftrom your perspective.

But you didn’t say that.

What the fuck are you wittering on about?

I'm making a statement of fact - football is a GAME, it can be played anywhere by anyone. at anytime - even blind people.

A particular EVENT can represent something to you that has no meaning to anyone else - I gave for example the true story of how a song about Christmas reminds a women I knew of her dads sudden death - the record represents something emotional and meaningful to her that is NO PART WHATSOEVER of, or from, the song itself.

A GAME of football is exactly that A GAME and remains so without morphing away from what it ACTUALLY IS  - it is YOU by applying YOUR emotions to it that CHANGES it into something that REPRESENTS something to you as being different to what it actually is.

A pipe is a pipe.

A painting of a pipe is a PAINTING and not a pipe.

The Pipe still remains a Pipe

Similarly...

A football game is a GAME of football.

A football game where the ball hits your mum full in the face becomes more to you than a GAME, it becomes a memory for life.

The game still remains just a game though.

It is YOU adding something (YOUR emotions) that ISN'T and never had been part of that GAME in itself.

YOU'VE manifested in your head a change and attached it to the GAME you watched - the GAME remained constant and unchanged in any way.

Look at the United, Liverpool game for instance - the United fans will have different emotions attached to the game than the Liverpool fans - but the GAME itself hasn't changed - it remained the same to both sides.

Games don't change - it's people that do by adding to it their emotions because they are invested in that particular event.

The day before the United, Liverpool game Kilmarnock beat St Mirren 5-2.

So what you may say.

Because it is a meaningless to you me and everybody else outside of those clubs and supporters - we see it simply as a GAME of football played between two teams - we have zero personal investment in.

It's not the GAME that changes - it's what people invest of themselves into it any particular event that changes it for THEM.

107bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 21:22

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I must get a little hand put on this watch.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

108bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 21:40

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:I must get a little hand put on this watch.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Edward Malin. A masterclass in non verbal acting.

109bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 21:56

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:

Edward Malin. A masterclass in non verbal acting.
I just thought it was time to change the subject

110bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 22:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
I just thought it was time to change the subject
I'm paying no heed to it. I'm just relaxing with my painting of a pipe. Pass me that tin of St. Bruno. Ready rubbed.
Of course.

111bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 22:54

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This must be the longest non match thread we have ever had! Laughing

112bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 23:07

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:This must be the longest non match thread we have ever had! Laughing
Sluffy started it.
How were we to know that he'd start banging on about Hegelian Metaphysics. Again.
If he pushes me any further, I might just snap.
I've got a drawing of a gun, and I know how to use it!

113bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 23:20

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:It's about shared memories for me. Of my dad, who took me to my first match, and paid for my very first season ticket. (Ten Bob).
Memories of Burnden, and the mates who were part of our group, home and away, many of whom are no longer with us. My mum, going to her one and only match, and getting hit in the mush by the ball.
So many memories, happy and sad. During the lowest points in my life, the Wanderers were the one constant. The beacon I clung to. The club has served me well.
It's not just a game to me, no matter what others think. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Ten bob doesn't ring a bell with me, Boncey. I bought my first ST in 1958 and I think it was more like twenty six bob. It was one and three pence for lads to get in the Lever End or Embankment and the ST price was based on the number of first team matches times the price per match. I don't think there was a much of a discount on that but Reserve team matches were included.

Matches were always competitive affairs but I don't remember much diving, cheating or conning of referees in those days. There were a few exceptions but there was altogether a different ethos in those days.

114bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Tue Mar 19 2024, 23:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Ten bob doesn't ring a bell with me, Boncey. I bought my first ST in 1958 and I think it was more like twenty six bob. It was one and three pence for lads to get in the Lever End or Embankment and the ST price was based on the number of first team matches times the price per match. I don't think there was a much of a discount on that but Reserve team matches were included.

Matches were always competitive affairs but I don't remember much diving, cheating or conning of referees in those days. There were a few exceptions but there was altogether a different ethos in those days.
My season ticket was like a big cloakroom ticket book. Tore one off every game, leaving the stub. Can't remember what year it was, but it was in the Manny Road seats. I had to wait before being allowed into the Lever End to mix with the ruffians that congregated there.
It's the smell I remember most. Strong pipe tobacco and spirits. Lovely.

115bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Wed Mar 20 2024, 08:32

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
My season ticket was like a big cloakroom ticket book. Tore one off every game, leaving the stub. Can't remember what year it was, but it was in the Manny Road seats. I had to wait before being allowed into the Lever End to mix with the ruffians that congregated there.
It's the smell I remember most. Strong pipe tobacco and spirits. Lovely.
Manny Road seats, Boncey? You were posh. Quite the Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Ah but the aromas! Pipe tobacco, horse liniment when the teams came out and, if you were anywhere near Burnden Billy, summat that smelled like cow muck.

116bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Wed Mar 20 2024, 09:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Manny Road seats, Boncey? You were posh. Quite the Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Ah but the aromas! Pipe tobacco, horse liniment when the teams came out and, if you were anywhere near Burnden Billy, summat that smelled like cow muck.
Don't know if you remember Eric Redrobe, but I'm pretty sure dad said it was him who hit mum in the face with the ball.

117bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Wed Mar 20 2024, 09:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The predominant smell in the Manny Rd side of the Lever End was piss as there was a toilet halfway up that regularly blocked, overflowed and streamed on to the terraces and down towards the corner flag.

118bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Wed Mar 20 2024, 09:25

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:The predominant smell in the Manny Rd side of the Lever End was piss as there was a toilet halfway up that regularly blocked, overflowed and streamed on to the terraces and down towards the corner flag.
The beautiful game. Razz

119bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Wed Mar 20 2024, 09:28

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Don't know if you remember Eric Redrobe, but I'm pretty sure dad said it was him who hit mum in the face with the ball.
I do remember Eric Redrobe but the guilty party might have been someone else, Boncey. Redrobe only played four times for the first team and none of those were at Burnden.

120bolton - Derby 1-0 Bolton - Page 6 Empty Re: Derby 1-0 Bolton Wed Mar 20 2024, 09:33

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
The beautiful game. Razz
It brought a whole new angle to the concept of "safe standing"., although I tended to move towards the middle of the stand rather than wear wellies.

Will you be going for safe standing next season Bonce, or is it too risky?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum