Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking Back: Bank Street view shows Playmate Club all ready for business

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looking Back: Bank Street view shows Playmate Club all ready for business  17865430

This photo was taken from the multi-storey car park looking down on Bank Street in Bolton in 1976.

A garden area had been created on the site of the former Bank Street School.

But equally interesting is the building which dominates the photo - the Playmate Club which described itself as ‘Bolton’s top entertainment centre’. It would later become Maxwell’s Plum having originally been the Beachcomber in the early Sixties.

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bank St is awful these days, needs knocking down now.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Bank St is awful these days, needs knocking down now.

I have always known it to be a shithole. Used to walk down on the odd occasion to the taxi rank at the bottom to get home after a night out in the late 90's early 2000's. I believe someone got stabbed there.

The council has Bank street penciled in for redevelopment whenever that will be.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

There used to be a pub at the bottom, The Dog and P (Dog and Partridge).

Was a thwaites pub iirc?

Only went in a few times.

I preferred the Millstone, which apparently is still going!

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:There used to be a pub at the bottom, The Dog and P (Dog and Partridge).  

Was a thwaites pub iirc?

Only went in a few times.

I preferred the Millstone, which apparently is still going!

The Millstone has been closed for absolute years but still there although I have never been in.

I’m not sure if it closed down after a bloke got stabbed to death in there. It has never been up for sale either and looks like it is just a closed bar/pub with gleaming windows etc which I find very odd.

The dog and partridge has since been demolished after a hair dresser drove his car into the side of the pub and ruined the building a few years back.

The brewery decided to let the pub go at the time no doubt got a great insurance payout as the pubs structure wasn’t safe and it wasn’t doing good anyway due to the location of it.

The hairdresser was severely depressed and killed himself successfully not long after I believe.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Poor bloke!

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Poor bloke!

Just to confirm, are we talking about the same pub?…

IMG-1627

Seems to have changed its name recently!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Nope.

This one -

Looking Back: Bank Street view shows Playmate Club all ready for business  Dog+and+Partridge+2010

Although you are correct about someone driving into it and the driver Craig Durham later committing suicide.

RIP

The manner of a pub closing is always sad, but with the exception of the Top Storey Club none has been as tragic as the end of the Dog and Partridge. It was a tragedy for Neil Piper. It was a tragedy for Angus Crompton and Terry Fletcher, both of whom stepped in to stop the pub closing in the past. It was a tragedy for the family and friends of Craig Durham, the driver of the car on that fateful evening in October 2014, who hung himself a few weeks later. It was a tragedy for the pub’s customers. The Dog and Partridge was a special pub to very many people, an unspoilt gem that had managed to reinvent itself and keep going against all the odds. To lose it was bad enough. To lose it in the manner that it went was heart-breaking on so many levels.

https://lostpubsofbolton.blogspot.com/2015/11/dog-and-partridge-22-24-manor-street.html

...and this one -

Looking Back: Bank Street view shows Playmate Club all ready for business  AF1QipMrDoPWlL1mmDjPFxgXT4K-v7s3yJWlRgTDXlnF=s1360-w1360-h1020

Address: 12 Crown St, Bolton BL1 2RU

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How bizarre!

I’ve always thought the Millstone was a bar on Bank Street and it shut down after the stabbing. It turns out after doing a bit of research that it’s the back of the pub and the entrance is on Crown Street! Laughing

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:How bizarre!

I’ve always thought the Millstone was a bar on Bank Street and it shut down after the stabbing. It turns out after doing a bit of research that it’s the back of the pub and the entrance is on Crown Street! Laughing

Bank Street Tavern is after my time in Bolton but looks to me where back in the day it was a Indian restaurant used to be, were I sometimes used to eat in, to line my stomach for the night ahead in Maxwell's Plum.

It does look as though it is back to back with the Millstone but I was unaware if they are now connected to each other?

Just checking though both the Tavern and the Millstone are contacted on the same telephone number.

Address: Bank St, Bolton BL1 1TS
Phone: 01204 391533

Address: 12 Crown St, Bolton BL1 2RU
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 12 pm Wed
Phone: 01204 391533

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum