Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Playoffs

+2
wanderlust
karlypants
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Playoffs Empty The Playoffs Mon Apr 22 2024, 17:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I know that we aren't in them yet as technically we could go up automatically if everything goes right for us at the weekend but the following happened today, so I thought I would start the thread anyway.

Barnsley sack boss Collins with one game remaining

League One Barnsley have sacked head coach Neill Collins with one game of the regular season left.

The Tykes are fifth in the third tier but are without a win in their past five matches.

Should they fail to beat Northampton on Saturday in their last game, they will drop out of the play-off places if two of Lincoln, Oxford and Blackpool win.

Collins, 40, took over at Oakwell in July after a spell in charge of USL Championship side Tampa Bay Rowdies in the USA.

Director of football Mladen Sormaz said in a statement on the club website, external that "with a crucial season conclusion ahead of us, we feel that now is the right time to make a change".

The South Yorkshire side have not dropped out of the top six once since 3 October.

They were three points off second-placed Bolton with a game in hand after blowing a 2-0 lead over Wanderers in a home match on 5 March.

However, they subsequently lost 5-1 at home to Lincoln five days later and have won just two of their nine matches since then and Saturday's 3-2 reverse at Blackpool proved to be the Scot's last match.

Coach Martin Devaney has been placed in interim charge as Barnsley look to secure a play-off berth for the second successive season.

Lincoln host promoted Portsmouth, while Oxford and Blackpool face away trips to Exeter and Reading respectively in League One's final round of matches on Saturday.

Have fans forced club to act - Analysis
BBC Radio Sheffield sport manager Rob Staton

The fans were calling for Collins to go throughout the Blackpool game and certainly Barnsley’s form has collapsed in recent weeks. They’ve gone from legitimate automatic promotion candidates to needing to win on the final day to guarantee a play-off place.

However, it’s hard to understand how a club can decide, with one game to go, that now is the time to change. If they don’t see Collins as the man today, what did they think a month ago? Why not change earlier, to give a new boss the time to set things up for the play-offs? Or why not, having got this far, just play out the season?

I also think it’s harsh on Collins. He picked up a team that had lost its manager and key players last summer and had them in the play-off places most of the season. This isn’t a squad that screams promotion or bust, so what are the expectations? It does feel a bit like the club has reacted to the disapproval of the fans, which was extremely vocal at the weekend.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Tue Apr 23 2024, 21:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Peterborough lost tonight which means that the worse we can finish is third unless there is a massive 8 goal shift in Goal Difference from us to them in the final game of the regular season between us both on Saturday.

NOTE - It's a 12:30 kick off.

As they are playing us that day a 4-0, 5-1, 6-2 etc, result to them would do it!

We on the other hand need a win, a Derby loss, and a 4 goal shift to us, for us to go up automatically - so a 2-0 win to us and a 2-0 loss by Derby (who are playing at home to the leagues bottom team and already relegated, Carlisle).

0ther results would include 3-0 and 1-0, 4-1 and 2-1, 5-2 and 3-2, etc, etc, just as long as the net result is a net 4 goals in our favour.

It's not going to happen is it - but then again if any club could do it, its probably us!

3The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Wed Apr 24 2024, 09:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Bolton win 2-0 against Peterborough and Derby lose by 2-0, this would put us on par with Derby with the goal difference.

What happens then? Do Bolton naturally go up to 2nd place?

4The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Wed Apr 24 2024, 10:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Posh may have played a blinder in resting key players and removing them from the risk of injury, tiredness and suspension ahead of the playoffs whereas we are forced into playing ours purely on the basis of there being a slim chance of Derby losing to Carlisle and us winning by 3 or more goals which is 175 to 1 with some bookies. Tough decisions for Evatt and at some point it might even become a game of chicken.

5The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Wed Apr 24 2024, 11:02

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:If Bolton win 2-0 against Peterborough and Derby lose by 2-0, this would put us on par with Derby with the goal difference.

If that happens we are both equal on 'goal difference' so we go to the tie breaker which is 'goals scored' in the season of which we have scored more than Derby - so we will be promoted and they miss out and go into the playoffs instead.

Last edited by Sluffy on Wed Apr 24 2024, 11:24; edited 1 time in total

6The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Wed Apr 24 2024, 11:13

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
karlypants wrote:If Bolton win 2-0 against Peterborough and Derby lose by 2-0, this would put us on par with Derby with the goal difference.

If that happens we are both equal on 'goal difference' so we go to the tie breaker which is 'goal scored' in the season of which we have scored more than Derby - so we will be promoted and they miss out and go into the playoffs instead.

Thanks. I'm hoping for this. :pray:

7The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Wed Apr 24 2024, 14:42

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

I believe you can get 125 - 1 on this happening with some bookies Smile

8The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Wed Apr 24 2024, 15:02

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
karlypants wrote:

I believe you can get 125 - 1 on this happening with some bookies Smile

You could have got 5000 to 1 of Leicester winning the Premier League (I believe some even got 10,000 to 1).

So outsiders sometimes do come in!

And Carlisle beat us 1-3 at the Reebok this season, so if they could do that against Derby and we win 2-0, it could happen!

I won't be risking my money though!!!

9The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Wed Apr 24 2024, 23:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

You could have got 5000 to 1 of Leicester winning the Premier League (I believe some even got 10,000 to 1).

And Carlisle beat us 1-3 at the Reebok this season, so if they could do that against Derby and we win 2-0, it could happen!

If it couldn't happen, the odds would be a lot higher. Still it's adds a bit of fun to the game.

10The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Thu Apr 25 2024, 00:29

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

If it couldn't happen, the odds would be a lot higher. Still it's adds a bit of fun to the game.

Eh???

If it couldn't happen then there would be no odds given at all, as no regulated bookmaker could accept such a bet as there would be no chance of winning!

Fwiw I'm not a gambler, I don't need to add the risk of jeopardy to something to enjoy it.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst is more my way of thinking.

I hope we do go up automatically but I expect to be watching us in the playoffs.

I'd be more than happy though if BWFC proved me wrong on Saturday.

11The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Thu Apr 25 2024, 02:23

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I see no hope of Derby losing to Carlisle and am far from convinced that we'll beat Peterborough anyway. I suppose Evatt doesn't have any choice but to go for it but if I were him I'd be protecting our key players into the second half if Derby have the lead.

12The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Thu Apr 25 2024, 09:35

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Its quite expensive to fund a Championship team. Take t'Rovers for example.

Where are FV going to get the money from?

13The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Thu Apr 25 2024, 10:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Its quite expensive to fund a Championship team. Take t'Rovers for example.

Where are FV going to get the money from?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

14The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Thu Apr 25 2024, 22:59

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

15The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Fri Apr 26 2024, 10:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Its quite expensive to fund a Championship team.
It's no more expensive than funding a League 1 team if you keep the same squad on the same contracts.

16The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Fri Apr 26 2024, 13:30

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:
It's no more expensive than funding a League 1 team if you keep the same squad on the same contracts.
True enough, but there's not much fun in losing every week.

17The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Fri Apr 26 2024, 13:44

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Ten Bobsworth wrote:Its quite expensive to fund a Championship team.

Depends on what clauses the players already have in their contracts and of course what other teams are prepared to pay them if they fancy jumping ship OR say to FV match those wages or else I'm off!

I think Bob's point was that BWFC are running at a loss now, and that it will be an even bigger one in the Championship, unless someone, somewhere is prepared to put their hand in their pocket because as Hart said recently, clubs can't achieve self financial sustainability.

18The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Sat Apr 27 2024, 14:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Depends on what clauses the players already have in their contracts and of course what other teams are prepared to pay them if they fancy jumping ship OR say to FV match those wages or else I'm off!

I think Bob's point was that BWFC are running at a loss now, and that it will be an even bigger one in the Championship, unless someone, somewhere is prepared to put their hand in their pocket because as Hart said recently, clubs can't achieve self financial sustainability.

All true but the TV income is massive in comparison to L1

Anyhoo, we aren't there yet and first up we have the opportunity to get revenge on Barnsley for last year's debacle.

19The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Sat Apr 27 2024, 15:41

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

All true but the TV income is massive in comparison to L1

Anyhoo, we aren't there yet and first up we have the opportunity to get revenge on Barnsley for last year's debacle.

Actually it really isn't.

It was a £6m more during Anderson's time and it seemed to be about £10m when I looked at Wigan's account from last season (when they were in the Championship) and the season before when they were in division three like us.

£10m is of course worth having than not but whether it benefits the club obviously will depended on the additional cost they incur to get it.

The biggest single cost of course is players wages which Maguire seems to claim is £10k per week at BWFC (although I would treat Maguire with some caution as there is at least two significant errors in the graphs he posted some days back).

(There is also going to be a call of a minimum £600k of it if we do get promoted in order to pay the contractual bonus payments the bond holders and EDT - not to mention contractual player bonuses as well!).

Any contractual wage increase due to promotion would soon put a hole in the £10m and we seem to be running out of steam as to who funds the running of the club, in that it made a loss of £5m last year and that was almost entirely covered by The Swiss consortium equity after Sharon et al had seemingly ceased to fund the club further and following the stumping up of £4.5m from the fans buying the bonds.

If one was to take the view that further loans/equity is not certain to be forthcoming next season, it may be viewed that is essential for BWFC to obtain promotion in order to pay its bills from what's left out of the £10m.

Now if so that is quite a scary thought.

Obviously I do want us to go up though and I think FV might be banking on it too!

20The Playoffs Empty Re: The Playoffs Yesterday at 12:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

DateKick-off Fixture
Saturday 18 May 202416:15League One Play-Off Final
Sunday 19 May 202413:00League Two Play-Off Final
Sunday 26 May 2024TBCChampionship Play-Off Final

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next