Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have you ever quit a job as you’re fed up with it?

+2
Norpig
Mad Dog
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mad Dog

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

I’m in a bit of a quandary and wonder if people can relate and give some advice please. 
I’m currently in a permanent job, the pay is ok, nothing special but more than enough to live on ok but I really don’t like the job, the people I work with are really nice but the work is just horrible - quite complex, problematic and deal with a lot of angry people. 
Since Covid I’ve been working from home about 95% of the time and that is the only reason I’ve stayed in the job this long, working from home has been brilliant for so many reasons. However, we’ve been told we must come back to the workplace 3 days a week from August and for me that’s the nail in the coffin for this job. I want to leave. 

I’m fortunate to have enough savings to not need to work for about 2-3 years. I would like to start by giving trading markets a proper go for 6 months, see if I can make it work. If that fails I’m keen to retrain to do something like plastering and become self employed but I’m not totally sure I can see myself doing that but the money is good and I like the idea of being my own boss. I don’t want to work 5 days a week, 8:30-5pm any more, writing all these days off my life doing boring problematic work, especially if I have to be in the work place each day. I could even get by on some part time work if need be. 
My mind is desperately wanting to hand my notice in and break free but then another part is thinking it’s a bit risky, I’ve got a guaranteed job here that pays ok, what if my plans to make money off my own back fails, then what? 
Has anyone been in a similar situation and just quit a job? How did it work out, any regrets or did everything work out better? 

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Depends on your circumstances and commitments.

If you have say a family to support and a large mortgage to pay then you need to have a more certain income stream coming in, than if you are say free and single, or with someone who will support you and put a roof over your head.

You need to talk it through with anyone you may significantly effect by quitting your current job and take their views into account.

Monthly salary is obviously regular income, playing the market might make you rich quick, or poor just as fast, and working for yourself means waiting until people get round to paying you (and not defaulting or going bust)

End of the day I suggest finding happiness and contentment in what you do, and with those you love, is more important than being rich.

I retired before the age of fifty, not because that was my plan but because I was paid off from the council I worked for and the money paid off the mortgage.  I've done what I've wanted to do since whilst putting my daughter through university, sending her around the world for a year after that and financing her career in London until she's finally financially on her feet herself.

My happiness and contentment is in giving my daughter the best start in life I can, and I've more or less done that now and must now wait until the time she makes me a grandfather - if she ever does - that's up to her what path in life she chooses to follow.

I'm sure you would have a different outlook on life to mine, as you will have different circumstances to mine and different life goals than I, no doubt.

At the end of the day I would imagine none of your love ones would want you to be doing something you don't like and makes you unhappy.

I hope something in what I've said above may be of some use to you.

Mad Dog

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Thanks Sluffy, I appreciate your comments. That’s great you got a good pay off which made you financially secure. That is some going to be retired before the age of 50 whilst still able to help your daughter so much. I hope retirement is fulfilling and you enjoy your days. 
I do agree if you have a family and/or a mortgage then you really do need to put finances first. I don’t have kids or a mortgage, I own my place outright, I live with my other half of 9 years. I wouldn’t dream of making her pay for my share of the bills though. I do still need an income. 
When it comes to the markets, it’s not the stock markets I’m looking at, it’s the Betfair exchange pre race markets that I’m interested in. It’s something I have been working on for about 18 months and now in a position to give it a serious go. I would like to give it 6 months, studying it more and more and putting it into practice. 
I would love to find something I enjoy and happy doing but I really don’t believe it’s possible. I’m not trained to do anything that would be interesting or fun and I never see any jobs that appeal. But if I made the trading work and not an employee I’d be really happy.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think about quitting every day, i hate my job and it is very stressful but i can't afford to leave.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I sort of quit my job twenty years ago, when I got sick and tired of always being on call at home. I could never relax, because if the manager of one retail unit or another had a problem, I was expected to sort it out at home. I longed for a job where I clocked off, and that was the end of it.
After sourcing a new gardening/maintenance/cleaning franchise for the many sites we managed, I jokingly asked the boss of the new franchise if he had any jobs going.
He said "yes. Fancy it?"
I did, and took a pretty hefty pay cut to take it on. Best decision I ever made.
Hard work, but plenty of fresh air, great workmates, and when I finished work at 4.30 that was the end of my day. No phone calls, no complaints. Happy days.
We don't have kids, so my decision was a little easier. Anyone with a larger family to support might not be able to take such a cavalier attitude.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's part of my problem Boncey, still have 9 years on the mortgage and 2 kids (16 and 12) to support. I could leave and get a less stressful job but would take a massive pay decrease. I feel like i'm trapped  Crying or Very sad

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:That's part of my problem Boncey, still have 9 years on the mortgage and 2 kids (16 and 12) to support. I could leave and get a less stressful job but would take a massive pay decrease. I feel like i'm trapped  Crying or Very sad
I feel your pain. I was feeling much the same. When I asked my boss about the constant phone calls at home, I was informed it was all part of the territory. If I didn't do it, someone else would. It was then I realised I was basically being bullied, which didn't sit well with me.
It could be fun. I remember being called one Saturday morning by a manager at Curry's/PC World, informing me that a man dressed as Elvis Presley had just walked off with their drainpipe.
I promised to get maintenance on to it. The Elvis guy became a Friday night/Saturday morning regular on that particular site, and was quite a character. And Chinese to boot.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:That's part of my problem Boncey, still have 9 years on the mortgage and 2 kids (16 and 12) to support. I could leave and get a less stressful job but would take a massive pay decrease. I feel like i'm trapped  Crying or Very sad
In one sense you and MD are in a good position inasmuch as you have a paid job - the best place to be whilst looking for a new one.
I once quit a job in an organisation that was driving me bonkers with their antequated practices and culture and resistance to change - but not before I’d secured another gig.
In your position I’d be quietly making discrete enquiries about other potential roles - but don’t give up what you have until you are certain you have a better alternative. And do the research including chatting with current and ex employees to make sure the future job is all it’s cracked up to be.
In your case Norpig is there an element of jeopardising your pension? If so you might look at a move within the NHS and/or options to continue contributions.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
In one sense you and MD are in a good position inasmuch as you have a paid job - the best place to be whilst looking for a new one.
I once quit a job in an organisation that was driving me bonkers with their antequated practices and culture and resistance to change - but not before I’d secured another gig.
In your position I’d be quietly making discrete enquiries about other potential roles - but don’t give up what you have until you are certain you have a better alternative. And do the research including chatting with current and ex employees to make sure the future job is all it’s cracked up to be.
In your case Norpig is there an element of jeopardising your pension? If so you might look at a move within the NHS and/or options to continue contributions.

Fwiw I suggested something like this to my daughter once but she told me that was now old fashioned and that there now is some online website that performs the same role where people tell their versions of what it is like to work in the organisations they had.

I don't recall the name of it but apparently it is well known to the younger generations than ourselves.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Fwiw I suggested something like this to my daughter once but she told me that was now old fashioned and that there now is some online website that performs the same role where people tell their versions of what it is like to work in the organisations they had.

I don't recall the name of it but apparently it is well known to the younger generations than ourselves.

Anonymity being the key as most employers monitor web chat of employees and job candidates.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I have done it once but ONLY when I knew I had another job to go to. Since my rather disastrous collapse in health I am now more or less retired but thankfully Wendy has a pretty good job and I have some fairly decent income from a mix of pension and PIP. We're not wealthy by any means and never will be but we do have enough to ensure we don't need to worry about cost of living too much especially now that all our kids have finished their educations.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum