Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Empty FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Sun Aug 25 2024, 18:12

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Next game is the second round EFL Cup tie against Shrewsbury Town.

Will Ian Evatt switch the side completely for this game to see if it is an improvement on yesterday's beaten 11?

Will we start a winning run against Shrewsbury?

Either way I feel that if Evatt doesn't start picking up points sooner rather than later then the bed sheets will be out in force.

How do you feel about this game?

Last edited by karlypants on Tue Aug 27 2024, 23:48; edited 3 times in total

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I don't see the point about bothering in the cups if the priority is promotion.

Fwiw I spelt out around the start of the New Year that we shouldn't have been prioritising for a Wembley return to defend the Micky Mouse Cup, or push as far as we can in the FA Cup in the hope of getting a big money earning draw against Man Utd or whoever because it all takes a toll on the players bodies - and as far as I'm concerned overall performance levels (and results!) clearly dropped towards the end of last season - starkly illustrated in the Play Off Final.

If we are going to play in the cups we have to use them as friendly games, where the results don't matter BUT as competitive games where we can work on different styles of playing other than tippy tappy (Mark II) which we've started the season with...

...and is not working.

I don't follow the games anything like as much as I once did but the bits I've seen seems to show the team as being quite unbalanced.

Maybe I'm wrong?

To me it seems that when we now play out from the back, we've made it much harder for ourselves by inadvertently crowding out the midfield area.

Our wingbacks seem to be up the field, having to come back for a pass (see yesterdays first goal!) as Sheehan and Thompson are being marked already.

The effect of the wing backs coming back (together with their markers) plus the two holding mids (plus their markers) now means the likes of Santos trying to find a forward pass to a midfield with eight bodies in the line in front of him or to pass it through the line along the ground to our two number 10's which for the level of players we have, is impossible for them to do.

The only alternative is to go over the top, which seems to be a big no, no, in Evatt's master plan book.

Clearly whilst Santos is trying to work out what to do, whatever momentum we had is instantly lost.

Before we had the wing backs starting in midfield and breaking forward - the result being if one wing back went forward (with his marker) there were now only six players in the next line up from Santos - and more space for the players to move into, for Santos to safely pass forward to.

If both wing backs broke forward, even more space for Santos to pass forward to safely.

I also don't fully subscribe to the popular view of having a hardman on the field.

What we do want on the field is someone that can create chances for our forwards.

Is replacing Dapo, Maghoma and (if you listen to Wanderlust) Sheehan, with say Arfield, McAtee and Matete, going to help us unlock other teams defences?

I don't think so.

Evatt might have got some muscle into the side but he's lost the magicians we had in order to do so - who now is going to create the bullets for the strikers to fire?

They say the mark of a good player is that they always seem to have that little bit more time and space than other players have.

Maybe the mark of a good manager is the ability to manage that little bit more time and space for his players on the pitch by his game plans and coaching - if that's the case I suggest we've gone backwards with Evatt's Tippy Tappy II this season.

Just my thoughts.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FYI: The Exeter game on the 31/08/24 is marketed as "Family Day" where tickets just cost £10 for adults and £5 for kids.

There are still some left but these are going quick so if anyone wishes to attend then I wouldn't delay in purchasing any!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hate part timers day (sorry family day), not fair on us ST holders who pay full whack, then to be met with people sat in your seat as they want to be sat with their friends  Very Happy

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Can I presume the game is not on Wanderers TV ?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:Can I presume the game is not on Wanderers TV ?
Due to competition regulations, Wanderers' Carabao Cup tie against Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday is not available to stream anywhere in the world on Wanderers TV - but audio commentary is available for just £2.50.

Not according to this, no.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i have no interest in this game at all but if Mrs Pig goes to bed early as usual then i might give it a watch on sky sports plus if it's on?

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

karlypants wrote:
Due to competition regulations, Wanderers' Carabao Cup tie against Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday is not available to stream anywhere in the world on Wanderers TV - but audio commentary is available for just £2.50.

What sort of business model is it when you actually stop customers from paying money to watch a game.  ..dunno..  so now Ill spend some time looking for a bogus stream from Iceland for free instead.  It's still the dark ages.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Easy win incoming…

10FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Tue Aug 27 2024, 19:35

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:
karlypants wrote:

What sort of business model is it when you actually stop customers from paying money to watch a game.  ..dunno..  so now Ill spend some time looking for a bogus stream from Iceland for free instead.  It's still the dark ages.
It’s on sky sports + so there will defo be a stream

11FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Tue Aug 27 2024, 19:41

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio Nuts is now live

12FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Tue Aug 27 2024, 19:44

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

13FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Tue Aug 27 2024, 21:40

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FT: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton

14FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Tue Aug 27 2024, 22:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

15FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Tue Aug 27 2024, 23:47

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt was pleased with his Wanderers side’s response as they secured a 2-0 victory at Shrewsbury in the Carabao Cup second round.

Jordi Osei-Tutu and Dion Charles both struck in the second half as the Whites returned to winning ways.

“That was an enjoyable experience, I love watching my team play when they play like that,” said Evatt. “It was excellent.

“It is very early on in the season and it isn’t unexpected what he have witnessed so far, certainly not from me.

“It has been a little bit clunky and bitty. We are trying to improve, we are learning all the time.

“When you watch the game back from Saturday and take the emotion out of it, there were probably two mistakes which were the opportunities they had.

“For us, it was more about the other side, we weren’t creative enough and asking them enough questions. We had a lot of control but didn’t ask them enough. Tonight, it was more energetic and that was what I wanted.

“I asked them to take the shackles off and energise the game - with and without the ball - be positive with each other and believe. I thought we saw that from minute one tonight.”

Osei-Tutu, Chris Forino and Jay Matete all impressed after coming into the starting line-up, and Evatt admits he now has some selection headaches ahead of Saturday’s league clash with Exeter.

“After Saturday, we wanted to win the next three games,” the manager added. “We want to start building momentum and that was important going into Saturday.

“Obviously, I will have to make some choices but that is football and we have a good squad of players. I was really pleased with what I saw tonight.

“For me, the biggest difference was our risk taking in the final third - not so much shooting from distance when it’s unachievable.

“When we had scenarios out wide one-v-one, we committed defenders. We were driving into the box, running forwards in numbers and some of our build-up play was excellent.

“With the way we play, we always have to put the ball at risk but when it comes off and you invite the press, you can see how quickly you can go through the thirds. I thought we saw, it was a lot better than what we saw on Saturday.”

Charles took his goal well, reacting quickly to latch onto a ricochet before smashing into the roof of the net.

“It has been a bit clunky but you have to remember, a lot of our new recruits haven’t had a pre-season,” Evatt continued. “They have been waiting at parent clubs to move so they are improving with every game.

“Dion is a good example, he was injured at the back end of last season so is still getting up to speed. But we have to grow and improve, we know that and tonight was a big improvement.”

The Wanderers chief also maintained that more outgoings could be on the cards heading into the final days of the window.

“That is absolutely possible, and obviously we are going to protect our best players,” Evatt explained.

“We have had some calls about them as well. It could be a busy few days, it might be very quiet.

“I can’t really give any predictions at the moment because anything can happen in football, as we know.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

16FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Wed Aug 28 2024, 08:14

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Only watched the last half hour and from what i saw Matete looked decent. He must be pushing for a start on Saturday now.

17FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Cup: Shrewsbury 0-2 Bolton Wed Aug 28 2024, 11:58

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I hate part timers day (sorry family day), not fair on us ST holders who pay full whack, then to be met with people sat in your seat as they want to be sat with their friends  Very Happy

We are going to be rocking up on Saturday with all the other riff-raff for the family fun day. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum