Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 0-2 Exeter

+4
Cajunboy
terenceanne
boltonbonce
wanderlust
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Bolton 0-2 Exeter Wed Aug 28 2024, 10:28

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Our next game is at home to Exeter.

This game will be "Family Fun Day" where tickets are just £10 for adults and £5 for kids so anyone wishing to purchase tickets should do so now.

After our win against Shrewsbury will this be the start of a good run?

The team have made the convincing win look like a training match and would like to see the same starting 11 against Exeter.

Charles has got his second goal of the season from a good strike at goal and Matete has looked rather good on the pitch for the 72 minutes he played.

I feel we will get a confortable 2-0 win on Saturday. How do you think we will do?

Last edited by karlypants on Sun Sep 01 2024, 10:41; edited 4 times in total

2Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Thu Aug 29 2024, 10:02

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We looked a different team altogether with Matete in for Sheehan - much quicker in transition, more solid in midfield and more confident overall. Created far more chances than with Sheehan slowing things down and double the "touches in the opposition box". If I would change anything it would to start Collins ahead of Arfield. Or maybe McAtee although he hasn't really done much yet apart from a couple of good bits in his first game.

3Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Thu Aug 29 2024, 10:30

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Evatt needs to tinker slightly, Charles can't play as a lone striker, he needs to be part of a 2 up there. I would play Mcatee up with him and have Collins as a 10 behind them. 

Matete did look good the other night but can't see Evatt dropping Sheehan just yet.

4Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Thu Aug 29 2024, 10:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I think Evatt needs to tinker slightly, Charles can't play as a lone striker, he needs to be part of a 2 up there. I would play Mcatee up with him and have Collins as a 10 behind them. 

Matete did look good the other night but can't see Evatt dropping Sheehan just yet.
Needs to drop Sheehan. By the time he gets his passes off we are facing two banks of defenders whereas George and Matete put us through time and time again. Sheehan's playing walking football by comparison. Pretty but slow.
The problem up top is that Demps played and was magnificent working from midfield to attack - what an athlete! All we needed was someone on the right who could finish better than Scotty so either McAtee or Collins miss out/used as subs later.
Also felt Tutu was far more adventurous than Schon - who first instinct seems to be to pass back rather than beat his man and get forward.

5Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Thu Aug 29 2024, 12:35

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wanderlust is on a mission to get rid of Sheehan...

Josh Sheehan crowned a magnificent campaign by being named both Wanderers’ Player and Players’ Player of the Season.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Club captain Ricardo Almeida Santos and Wanderers’ team-mate Josh Sheehan have both been named in the PFA League One Team of the Year for 2023/24.

The duo were voted into the select XI by their fellow professionals with the line-up announced at the annual PFA awards in Manchester.

...and replace him with Matete based on what he's seen in just three league game substitute appearances lasting a total of only 45 minutes (Orient 19 mins, Wrexham 8 minutes, and Charlton 18 mins).

His judgement is based on what he's seen on TV, which imo is never as good as seeing a game live, for the very simple reason that TV follows the ball, whereas live, you can follow the man and judge them for ALL they do on the pitch for the team and not just the bits when they kick the ball.

Now I don't believe at all that Wanderlust has any deep understanding of football despite his obvious obsession with it claiming to watch every football match he possibly can and knowing every player on the Earth it seems.  As evidence for doubting his apparent comprehensive knowledge of the game, I point to the clear video evidence that Sheehan clearly was completely blameless and totally faultless in the run up to the first goal we conceded against Charlton (the Santos suicide pass out of defence) despite Wanderlust voraciously stating  things otherwise!

Evatt has changed the system to tippy tappy Mark II and it clearly hasn't 'bedded in' yet.

He's also brought in Arfield, McAtee and Matete who I presume are intended to give a bit of muscle to the side?

Wanderlust may end up being right in the long run that Matete will take Sheehan's spot in the team but I very much doubt it in the short term (injuries excluded) and if he does then the team will need to replace Sheehan's creative skills which have been lost to it and replaced by Matete's physicality.

The best analogy I can think of in this instance is that of a football side being somewhat like a piano, in that you need the muscle to move the thing around but you also need someone with the skill to play it.

Sheehan may not be able to shift the piano far but he can play it - and not much point filling our side with 'muscle' if it means we can shift the piano around as much as we like but we have no one to get a tune out of it.

(If Sheehan is replaced by Matete then who in the team is there to play the balls that unlock the defence?  George has shown he can, Dempsey has too but who else (and Dempsey is no longer in the starting eleven).  We don't score from set pieces much, so are we going to be totally one dimensional and pass the ball around a zillion times until we can pass it into the goal from about two yards out?).

Personally I'd wait to see how the team evolves in this new system over the next month or so before starting throwing players under the bus.

6Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Thu Aug 29 2024, 14:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It seems to be a common fallacy that Matete doesn't have a creative bone in his body and is just an athletic midfield enforcer, albeit with superb touch and control. And yet he made a massive contribution to the 60% increase in chances created and the 100% increase in "touches in the opposition's box" when he started ahead of Sheehan. Facts don't lie. Early days so we'll see how it pans out - maybe we've already seen his best performances?

7Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Thu Aug 29 2024, 15:01

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:It seems to be a common fallacy that Matete doesn't have a creative bone in his body and is just an athletic midfield enforcer, albeit with superb touch and control. And yet he made a massive contribution to the 60% increase in chances created and the 100% increase in "touches in the opposition's box" when he started ahead of Sheehan. Facts don't lie. Early days so we'll see how it pans out - maybe we've already seen his best performances?

Well I've never seen him play apart from the odd video clips, so I don't know what skills he's got (did you not note the question mark I put after me questioning whether Arfield, McAtee and Matete were signed for their physicality?) and I doubt even you are an expert on what skills Matete actually possesses.

As for that stats they are meaningless, his two starts were in cup games with team selection simply designed to give all the squad playing minutes.  (No doubt our cup opponents probably did something similar themselves?)

As I've said you may end up being right about him - even a stopped watch tells the correct time at some point of the day.

Whatever you think about Sheehan - which apparently isn't much - he was seen as a key player in our team as evidenced by those who played against him and voted him in to the divisions team of the season, and unless Evatt has purposefully adapted our playing style to exclude Sheehan, then I would imagine he will remain a starter in the league games for the immediate weeks to come, unless or until injury, loss of form, or bad results leads to Evatt changing the playing style becomes a factor.

(And he's been pretty stubborn to change anything in the past!).

I don't wish Matete any ill, in fact just the opposite, I hope his form forces him into the side - but I come back to my original point, we no longer have a Dapo or Paris (and nothing on the grapevine about brining someone similar in?) so who in the side can unlock defences if Sheehan is no longer in favour?

It appears to me that Evatt's plan for tippy tappy II is to push both wingbacks up the pitch but two wingbacks, two number 10's and Dion running around as he does, seems to have have overcomplicated the play up front and weakened our capability in midfield and defence?

Maybe I'm not seeing it right perhaps?

My opinion at this early stage is that it will look good when it works but it will make us look horrible when it doesn't - as per the Santos misplaced pass analysis I made.

It's just a game at the end of the day to me though.

I don't lose any sleep over it one way or the other.

8Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Fri Aug 30 2024, 10:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hear from Ian Evatt and Chris Forino as Wanderers prepare to host Exeter City in League One.

9Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Fri Aug 30 2024, 17:13

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Over 21,000 tickets have now been sold for this game apparently Shocked

10Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sat Aug 31 2024, 12:26

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio Nuts is now live!

11Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sat Aug 31 2024, 14:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

12Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sat Aug 31 2024, 16:17

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

This is getting past a joke now.

EVANS OUT!

13Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sat Aug 31 2024, 17:12

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:This is getting past a joke now.

EVANS OUT!

I agree Cajun. Bunch of fucking wankers today.

14Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sat Aug 31 2024, 18:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What a plateful of tripe that was.

15Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sat Aug 31 2024, 18:34

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Do you realize we had 21 shots and 63% possession.  It defies logic at the moment. You can blame the manager if you want but as he says it's a good team on paper. I think we keep playing and hope for a stroke of luck to get our season going. At the moment we are a mediocre league one team.

16Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sat Aug 31 2024, 19:16

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

To quote "THE DONALD"

That was so bad!

So baddddddddd!!!!

17Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sat Aug 31 2024, 21:57

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The goals -

The first was a good free kick to be fair but at one time teams used to put a defender on the post to stop exactly shots like that, I guess there must be a reason why that sort of thing fell out of fashion - a rule change perhaps? - but it did leave a huge target for the free kick taker to aim at, if he could get it over the wall and then dip down.  Baxter clearly could not cover the near post fully from where he positioned himself and depended totally on the wall doing its job or the free kick taker not being good enough to do a Beckham.

18Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sat Aug 31 2024, 22:54

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Most of the Bolton fans on social media want Evatt out now and after today i may be feeling the same. We were awful today, no creativity and yet again all the fannying around at the back is killing us!

I think we only had 1 shot on target the whole game and in reality we should have lost by 3 or 4. Exeter aren't a great team but like a lot of teams now they know how to play to beat us.

Evatt after the game blaming tiredness is laughable and clutching at straws. We have been very average since Christmas and i don't think he knows how to turn it around now.

19Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sun Sep 01 2024, 10:36

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some comments in the Bolton News I've just seen and that's without searching for them...

King Arthur 1111 3 hrs ago
User ID: 2039296
Out out out should have gone after Wembley should have gone at the final whistle yesterday but still clings on it’s like a slow death waiting for some miracle or relief Sharon do whats needed and do it quickly

Last Updated: 16 mins ago

Blackpool white 3 hrs ago
User ID: 2022503
Big match verdict - We are not promotional candidates with this manager anymore. No lessons learned from last season except by the opposition and how they have worked out how to contain us and beat us easily which is what Exeter did yday... Evatt should have till the end of September and then if nothing improves then adios thanks for your efforts....

Last Updated: 4 mins ago

Ray Openshaw 21 mins ago
User ID: 5200140
Blackpool White I wouldn't give him any more time. I can't believe he didn't play the team who went into action at Shrewsbury. At least they were trying .and producing

Last Updated: 14 mins ago

20Bolton 0-2 Exeter  Empty Re: Bolton 0-2 Exeter Sun Sep 01 2024, 10:38

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Has Sharon got the balls to give Evatt the boot or even the funds to replace him...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum