Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton

+4
terenceanne
boltonbonce
Sluffy
BoltonTillIDie
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 10:02

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This should be an easy game tonight on paper but with our current form this could be a loss.

Losing tonight could be a blessing in disguise due to the amount of games the lads are playing and we need to be more focused on the League.

I feel though that our players still need a run out and more time to gel together.

What do you all think?

Last edited by karlypants on Wed Sep 04 2024, 08:47; edited 3 times in total

2FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 10:13

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't give a flying fuck about this game  Very Happy

3FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 16:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Like Norpig, I'm not really bothered, but I'll probably watch the first half. If it looks decent I might watch the second half.
I take a similar stance on cake.

4FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 16:18

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Like Norpig, I'm not really bothered, but I'll probably watch the first half. If it looks decent I might watch the second half.
I take a similar stance on cake.
That’s a good stance to take!  :rofl:

5FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 16:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:
That’s a good stance to take!  :rofl:
You bet. Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

6FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 18:52

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

7FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 19:31

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio NUTS IS NOW LIVE

8FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 20:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

And yet it continues…

Barrow 1-0!

9FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 20:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

10FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 21:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well well.

11FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Tue Sep 03 2024, 21:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FT: Barrow 2-3 Bolton

12FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Wed Sep 04 2024, 01:11

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Mixed Review ....  Should have been down 2-0 in the first half.  Better in the second but it is only Barrow - no disrespect.
As in other games you can't put your finger on what's wrong. The final ball in is either poor or unlucky. Somebody needs to remind Schon that he is a winger......that means cross the ball into the box ---not backwards or sideways. Pussy footing around at the back and up front nearly cost us again.
I do like what I've seen from Mcatee so far, but his partner Collins gives the ball away too much for my liking. Come back Jon Daddy - better than all of them for my money.
Anyway Onwards.

13FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Wed Sep 04 2024, 08:47

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives his verdict on Wanderers' win at Barrow

Ian Evatt was glad to see two of his strikers grab their first goals of the season in the 3-2 victory at Barrow in the Bristol Street Motors Trophy.

John McAtee and Aaron Collins scored in the second half at Holker Street before Kyle Dempsey added a third in an entertaining opening group fixture.

There were downsides to the night – Evatt was upset that his side conceded the opening goal to Sam Foley from a set piece, and Jordi Osei-Tutu was taken off injured in the first half.

But the Bolton boss was generally pleased with the way the night went against his former club.

“I think we had control and dominance first half we just didn’t end our actions enough,” he said. “We got into the final third loads of times but we were just a bit loose at the top end.

“I think sometimes players drift in and out of confidence and the lads at the top end are trying to find some confidence, rhythm and belief.

“We were disappointed to concede from a set play again. They were dangerous on transition and on set plays, that was about it really, and we didn’t deal with it well. We didn’t deal with it well because Saturday we conceded from two set plays and tonight a set play, that is not like us because we have tightened up a lot. We need to do some more work on that.

“We got there in the end, a knock down from the keeper and followed it in well. Everyone sighed and thought ‘so we can score goals!’ It becomes easy to forget. We scored a lot of goals last season and I think we will score a lot this season too, it is not as though we are not creating chances. We had 21 shots to their six against Exeter on Saturday and everyone makes out it was an awful performance, it wasn’t.

“We just have to stay calm, stay focussed and we will get better. I think that’s seven games this season and if you include the penalty shoot-out we have won four of them. So it isn’t awful but we know it needs to be better and we will work hard to make things better.”

Collins improved in the second half to spear-head the comeback, having hit the crossbar with a crucial chance against Exeter at the weekend.

Evatt hopes that the Welshman can now kick on as a result.

“He is a quality player and I think all the forward players at the moment are not quite in form,” the manager said. “Hopefully that can kickstart Aaron’s season, he was disappointed to miss that big chance on Saturday and it is not like him, really, he is normally clinical in those moments.

“Tonight will do him the world of good and I am really pleased for them all. We were down to 11 senior players with the internationals away and I thought their attitude was first class. We deserved to win the game.”

On Osei-Tutu’s injury, Evatt hoped the problem would not be a major one. The wing-back walked back on to the team bus under his own steam after a first half collision with Junior Tenisiala.

“We are hopeful it is nothing too serious,” he said. “He had quite a nasty knee injury last season when he was on loan in the Greek Premier League. When he fell over he jarred it in the ground a little bit, I think he scared himself. I think it is nothing too serious.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Barrow boss Clemence on Bolton 'quality' and missed chances

Barrow boss Stephen Clemence admitted Bolton’s “quality” was the difference following an entertaining Bristol Street Motors Trophy tie at Holker Street.

John McAtee, Aaron Collins and Kyle Dempsey were all on target as the Whites kicked off the group stage with maximum points.

Clemence was pleased with his side’s effort after making seven changes from the side that beat Harrogate in League Two several days prior.

The manager admitted that Bolton probably edged the contest overall but was left wondering what might have been had his side taken another of their chances in the first half.

“We have got quite a number of injuries and I did want to give people a game who needed a game,” he told the club channels.

“To do that, I had to change the shape and we only really got 10 or 15 minutes working on that shape on the training ground.

“The boys, to go and play the way they did against an opponent that was very close to being in the Championship this season… I thought Bolton were a very good team and the boys gave a good account of themselves.

“They went about what we asked them to do well. We had some good opportunities in the first half where we maybe could have taken one or two of those.

“They had good possession and were playing through us quite well, but we had the better moments. We get a goal up and then had a really good chance, which we don’t take.

“They started to get on top of us a little bit and you can see the quality of Bolton, I felt they probably deserved to beat us tonight.”

Barrow’s attention now turns to this weekend's league fixture against Swindon as the Bluebirds aim to build on their recent wins against Port Vale and Harrogate.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

14FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Wed Sep 04 2024, 08:49

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I started watching just after we went 1-0 down and twitter was in meltdown  Very Happy

We did score 3 times after that but again the defending for their second was sloppy. Matheson had a decent game in the time i was watching and should be given more of a chance i think.

15FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Wed Sep 04 2024, 08:52

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

16FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Wed Sep 04 2024, 09:26

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

All in all a very good night. I thought Barrow looked decent and played some really good football with Dallas impressive and giving our defence a tough time. Standouts for me were Demps and Thomason who worked the whole game plus Baxter who once again came up with some great stops. I thought Matheson also proved he’s worth a chance in the first team and his delivery was much better than that of Cogley. He could have used his pace more to beat the defender but I suppose he’s been told to pass inside rather than take the man on and cross to no target man. All in all a satisfactory performance going into the break and preparations for Huddersfield. I hope Desmond isn’t badly hurt, it seems to be the same knee that kept him out last year?

17FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Wed Sep 04 2024, 10:23

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was trying to work out who Desmond was then it clicked WS63  Laughing

18FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Empty Re: FT: EFL Trophy: Barrow 2-3 Bolton Wed Sep 04 2024, 13:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Demps was outstanding and George and Matete are developing into great midfield partnership even though I thought neither were at the top of their game last night. Seemed as if they'd spent the last few training sessions practicing the 2 yd pass in traffic - which highlighted the doubling down on the risks taken playing it out from the back with CBs who have questionable passing skills - Matete and George received hospital pass after hospital pass and were in trouble from the second the ball arrived, losing possession on several occasions. The short passing and control is fine when we are up the pitch but it's a worry when playing out from the back and we need another plan because opposition managers worked this one out long ago especially the straight ball from the back to the middle which invariably laid off to the wing.
Appreciate Evatt doesn't want any of the front 3 dropping in to receive it as it nullifies the potential attacking advantage of playing out, but it's better than the risk of conceding.
Refreshing to see Collins shooting from outside the box - thought that had been banned.
There's a decent team in there somewhere.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum