Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton

+6
karlypants
Whitesince63
Sluffy
luckyPeterpiper
boltonbonce
Keegan
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Wed Sep 25 2024, 23:53

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The goals.

Note yet another conceded from pissing about at the back.

And that our goal was scored from passing it into space for a player to run on to.

Almost as though I know what I was talking about...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

22League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 07:54

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I know it was Arsenal but 3 of those goals were a gift to them yet again  Rolling Eyes 

We can't playout from the back, when will Evatt learn?

23League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 09:05

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes this passing round the back thing is a real big pain in the arse and needs to stop.

We were never going to compete really if we are honest against the likes of Saka, Rice, Sterling Havertz, Jesus & co.

Southwood did a great save from one of their shots that would have gone in if he didn't. Collins was pretty much alert on the ball along with his goal against the Gunners. Some great passing at times with through balls etc which was winding the Arsenal team up a bit.

24League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 09:09

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt says Wanderers’ 5-1 defeat at Arsenal in the Carabao Cup was a good experience for the squad – but admitted there was some frustration over “self-inflicted goals”.

Aaron Collins got on the scoresheet in the second half, with Scott Arfield and John McAtee also having decent chances.

“There were parts of it I liked and parts of it I didn’t,” said Evatt. “We spoke to the players in the last few days about making Arsenal earn their goals, and I think two or three were self-inflicted which is disappointing.

“First half, we had opportunities to score. I think we should have had a penalty. Whether that would have made much difference, I don’t know but what’s right is right.

“We had two big chances that we put over the bar where we have to at least work the keeper. Arsenal had two big moments first half and scored two.

“That is the difference I guess, they are a fantastic team. It was a largely good experience and we are fully focused on Saturday now.”

Collins' goal was a great moment for the 4,000-plus supporters who made the journey down to the capital.

The Welshman was played through on goal by McAtee and kept his cool to go round Jack Porter before slotting home.

“Arsenal are a really difficult team to create and score against, and we had moments tonight which is pleasing,” the manager added.

“Aaron, in particular, and John were probably our two brightest sparks and he finished it really well.

“It was really good (for the fans) but just disappointing that we could and should have had one or two more, first half in particular.

“It was a good experience largely. We earned the right to be here and it is great for the club, financially fantastic for the club. Now, our full focus has to be back on the league campaign.”

The games keep coming thick and fast, with attention now turning to Saturday’s clash with Crawley in the league.

Evatt made seven changes from the side that beat Reading last weekend with the trip to the Broadfield Stadium in mind.

“The fixture list isn’t great,” Evatt admitted. “Having an early kick off on Saturday isn’t ideal so we had to make changes, we had no choice.

“That is a difficult game, regardless of who is playing, but to make changes and have the players run against the ball like they did was tough.

"We need some legs and energy for Saturday and that is why we had to change.”

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta hailed Jack Porter after the 16-year-old was thrown in at the deep end against Wanderers in the Carabao Cup.

The Academy prospect got the nod between the sticks, with David Raya out injured and Neto cup-tied after featuring for Bournemouth in a previous round. Third-choice Tommy Setford was also unavailable due to injury.

Porter became the youngest shot stopper to ever feature in the competition and had a few decent moments, although he was beaten by Aaron Collins in the second half.

“We told him yesterday and he was over the moon straight away,” Arteta told a press conference.

“I think he spoke to his family. And yeah, they weren't prepared for that. It's a big step, a big occasion for them and I think they were nervous about it.

“But I think he reacted really well. He was really composed yesterday in training, today as well.

“His team-mates really helped him as well on that. What an experience and what a way to break a record.

Arteta named a mixture of youth and experience in his starting line-up, with Declan Rice, Bukayo Saka, Gabriel Jesus, Raheem Sterling and Jorginho all involved from the off.

Ethan Nwaneri bagged a brace either side of half time – the 17-year-old’s first goals for the North London club.

“A really positive night, the result and the performance,” the head coach reflected. “We gave minutes to a lot of senior players and they really showed a lot of quality.

“On top of that, we gave a lot of opportunity to quite a lot of Academy players and they responded really well. It is so fulfilling to see their faces, their reaction, how much it means to them.

“(The senior players) were already giving them advice in training yesterday, I think the boys feel really comfortable with them.

“Because it is a magnificent group of players, they can be themselves and if they have any fears, they can ask questions and they will be happy to help.

“It is great they show that leadership as well, and that sense of caring, which is important and we all need it at some stage in our careers.”

25League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 09:16

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Would everything have been different though if we had got that penalty we deserved...

26League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 09:43

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Happy with the result to get a goal there is decent.

27League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 10:38

Whitesince63

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Norpig wrote:I know it was Arsenal but 3 of those goals were a gift to them yet again  Rolling Eyes 

We can't playout from the back, when will Evatt learn?
He’ll never learn sadly Norpig, not whilst he’s here anyway, he’s completely wedded to it and can’t see the futility, a bit like Sluffy and net zero! 😁

He’ll either sink or swim with it but he won’t change it. The gulf in class was obvious last night but to be fair I thought we did as well as we could have been expected to. It’s just as well Coleman wasn’t in last night though because he’d have been slaughtered if he’d made the mistakes Southwood did and I won’t even go there on Santos playing out! Never mind let’s hope we do better at Crawley?

28League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 10:46

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why would you go back to passing round the back when we had a successful game against Reading?

Does this mean Evatt will be slipping back to his old crappy ways? Only time will tell in the next few games really but I guess old habits die hard!

29League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 11:30

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Result was never in doubt - I just hope that Ian and staff can see where we are lacking in general. To strengthen in those areas if we can and become a force at our level of course.

30League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 14:56

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Got to cash in on Santos while the going's good...I doubt he broke sweat!

31League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 15:30

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Got to cash in on Santos while the going's good...I doubt he broke sweat!
 He just looks fed up at the moment. I imaging losing the captaincy has affected him, but he never really was much of a Captain from my point of view.

32League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 15:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I reckon he will be up for sale in January.

33League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 15:54

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Norpig wrote:
 He just looks fed up at the moment. I imaging losing the captaincy has affected him, but he never really was much of a Captain from my point of view.

He's a lumbering hulk with, I suspect, a brain to match. 

He's not been doing the basics for a long time now. No forward momentum once he gets the ball...

Modern football requires all players to be nimble of thought and movement.

34League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: League Cup: Arsenal 5-1 Bolton Thu Sep 26 2024, 18:03

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Someone with his skill set should not be the quarter back for a team with Pep mindset. 

He is out of form but previously he excelled at winning headers and physical battles.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum