Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you ever stop and wonder what it's all about?

+7
Sgt. Bash
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
scottjames30
Bernard Dennis Park
wanderlust
doffcocker
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We've all wanted to deck somebody for saying "it's only a game" but it's a very interesting debate.

Have you ever stopped to put football into perspective and felt stupid for a moment about just how much you allow it to intrude on your life? I'm not just talking loonies that would do time for a scrap at full time, I'm talking ordinarily rational people that can essentially let the swing of a bag of air ruin their days, and even worse, talk deeply about "my club" as though it were some sort of child.

I wear the Wanderers replica shirts proudly and want the team to be great but would never profess to love the club as such. I've decided that if football weren't the pantomime that it is, I'd have found something different to do with my Saturdays a long time ago. That without the Wigans and Gary Megsons and Luis Suarez's of the world to loathe, I might lose interest.

What's it all about for you?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a life sentence. I have no choice but to be interested in football in general and BWFC in particular - you can't "unlearn" something

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

doffcocker wrote:but would never profess to love the club as such.

I love Bolton Wanderers.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When asked " Is football a matter of life and death" which manager said "No, its a lot more important than that.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:When asked " Is football a matter of life and death" which manager said "No, its a lot more important than that.

It was Bill Shankly at Liverpool. I kinda get where Doffcocker is coming from but in my case I have been following Wanderers that long that it just seems to have become a way of life. I have noticed though, that it has become much more expensive to go to games nowadays and it seems the working man is being priced out of the market. Old Trafford is a good example of the product outstripping its fanbase.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We don't even fill the stadium. Anyone see that thing about Walsall? They have an ageing fanbase, so U16s go in for free and 16-18's pay £46 for a season ticket - but get £2 back on the gate every game they attend so if they go to all the home games it's free. Brilliant idea to ensure they attract future support, fill the ground and make a few bob on shirt sales and catering etc.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It sounds like a good idea.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to really really let football bother me.

I remember the Carling cup semi second leg, i was watching on the TV and i was a nervous wreck, literally shaking.

Don't have even half the passion for footie i used to.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think it's a tribal thing. Human nature! "Our tribe is better than your tribe and we'll prove it!" has become "Our football team is better than your football team and we'll prove it!"

Of course, some people take this further than others!

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I try to be a bit more philosophical about it these days. Being older helps.

I can remember in 1991 when Tranmere got promoted instead of us I could hardly speak. I just wanted to lie down I felt so bad. Seems ridiculous now but then it really hurt.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think supporting Bolton, we all have become used to the ups and the downs...

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

...up and down like a bride's nightie as they say.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Following any team is a religion but it's not worth crucifying yourself if they lose!

Bolton Nuts

Admin

doffcocker wrote:We've all wanted to deck somebody for saying "it's only a game" but it's a very interesting debate.

Have you ever stopped to put football into perspective and felt stupid for a moment about just how much you allow it to intrude on your life? I'm not just talking loonies that would do time for a scrap at full time, I'm talking ordinarily rational people that can essentially let the swing of a bag of air ruin their days, and even worse, talk deeply about "my club" as though it were some sort of child.

I wear the Wanderers replica shirts proudly and want the team to be great but would never profess to love the club as such. I've decided that if football weren't the pantomime that it is, I'd have found something different to do with my Saturdays a long time ago. That without the Wigans and Gary Megsons and Luis Suarez's of the world to loathe, I might lose interest.

What's it all about for you?

I have thought it many a time and wondered if I am the only one.

The odd time, I have even considered it whilst at a match and chuckled to myself slightly while thinking "I can't believe all these people are this bothered about football". Me included.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum