Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

£10 million transfer kitty?

+8
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
Bernard Dennis Park
wanderlust
Culcheth_White
waynagain
Sluffy
MartinBWFC
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:21

aaron_bwfc wrote:Has anyone else heard the rumor on us signing Jose Baxter for just over £600,000?

Heard it, can't see it being true Freedman took him on trial when he was at Palace and turned him down, can't see why he'd suddenly feel confident enough to put £600,000 on him.

22£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:27

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:don't quite understand all this new found love for Megson. He is by far the worst and most hated Manager we have ever had in my opinion, i wouldn't wish him on our worst enemies.

He is definitely the most hated, but Coyle was far worse as a manager. We wouldn't have gone down under Megson last season. The football would have been shite, but we wouldn't have gone down.

No idea how you can make this prediction. Megson didn't have a clue, some people seem to have convinced themselves he was some sort of defensive mastermind when in reality he was just a negative git.

I really doubt he'd have kept us up that season, or any after that. The players wouldn't have given two shits about playing for him or fans who were that hostile towards the team and the manager constantly.

23£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:32

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Megson wouldn't of brought in the dross that cunt Coyle brought in, Coyle almost ruined the club.

Coyle looked that desperate in the end he was probably taking advice off that fat kit-man , that used to take over half of the dugout.
Coyle had not a clue .

24£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:34

scottjames30 wrote:Megson wouldn't of brought in the dross that cunt Coyle brought in, Coyle almost ruined the club.

Coyle looked that desperate in the end he was probably taking advice off that fat kit-man , that used to take over half of the dugout.
Coyle had not a clue .

I agree Coyle was shit.

But there's no evidence to suggest the man who brought in Elmander and Muamba for about £15 million would have done a better job than Coyle in any respect.

25£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:36

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

No idea how you can make this prediction. Megson didn't have a clue, some people seem to have convinced themselves he was some sort of defensive mastermind when in reality he was just a negative git.

I really doubt he'd have kept us up that season, or any after that. The players wouldn't have given two shits about playing for him or fans who were that hostile towards the team and the manager constantly.

The players didn't give two shits about playing for Coyle either, that was one of the main problems.

I'm not saying Megson was a good manager, he was rubbish. But he had a little bit of tactical knowledge, something that continually failed Coyle. He was negative, but that negativity would have kept us up. In my opinion.

26£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:36

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

They were both shit. Only one of them took us down though.

27£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can we stop this constantly going over who was the worst manager malarkey? It's pointless seeing as the hatchet job Coyle was given was entirely due to the transfer profligacy of Megson and his predecessor so their circumstances and options were entirely different - one spending rashly to save our bacon, the other trying to keep us afloat whilst slashing expenditure. Neither got the balance right and both are water under the bridge now so suck it up and move on before the repetition gets to us all. It's getting be like Groundhog Day.

28£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:40

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:It's getting be like Groundhog Day.

Welcome to football forums.

29£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:42

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote: It's getting be like Groundhog Day.

I agree, but Megson was better that Coyle.

30£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:45

wanderlust wrote:Can we stop this constantly going over who was the worst manager malarkey? It's pointless seeing as the hatchet job Coyle was given was entirely due to the transfer profligacy of Megson and his predecessor so their circumstances and options were entirely different - one spending rashly to save our bacon, the other trying to keep us afloat whilst slashing expenditure. Neither got the balance right and both are water under the bridge now so suck it up and move on before the repetition gets to us all. It's getting be like Groundhog Day.

::seething::

31£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:50

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Nobody mention Coyle.

It's upsetting Wanderlust.

32£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:Nobody mention Coyle.

It's upsetting Wanderlust.

Naw - it's just getting repetitive on nearly every thread. This one was apparently about Freedman's transfer budget although you wouldn't know it.

33£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:55

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I always look at it like this, Coyle embarrassed us at Wembley, Burnley, Crawley, and a few other places, Megson did too, but Megson beat Scum at home so Megson gets my vote.

34£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:57

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

You seem to get upset as soon as anyone says anything negative about Coyle.

Sluffy mentioned him, you jumped to his defence like you always do and the discussion went on from there.

Then you ask people to stop talking about him Laughing

35£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 13:59

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I bet Coyle is shit at painting, washing up, Washing his car, watering plants in-fact the only thing he's good at is Ping-Pong.

36£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 14:02

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc1874 wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
waynagain wrote:Maybe people would have preferred Megson had stayed.

Definitely.

At least Megson could manage.

Yes his dealings with the fans was dreadful and he paid top price for crap players but he kept us up in his first season when I thought no one could and despite what others bleat on about I never thought we would get relegated under him in the season he was sacked - indeed his and Coyle’s points per games average during that season was more or less identical!

Coyle without any doubt is the worst manager we've ever had in my lifetime and I go back to Nat Lofthouse days.

I think Megson was taking us down the year he got sacked, we definitely needed a change

Coyle was shit, but I wouldn't say Megson was much better though especially given how much he spent.

Well obviously that is your and many, many others opinion at the time but the facts show that Megson managed us for 18 games that season until his sacking and had achieved 18 points. Coyle managed us for the remaining 20 games and achieved just 21 points - as I say above an almost identical points per game average.

I fail to see why Megson could not have maintained his average over that full season - indeed he had not lost his previous four games at the time of his sacking.

We finished in 14th position that season - Burnley finished in the 18th and last relegation spot on 30 points - 9 less than the points achieved actually by Megson and Coyle - and 8 less than the average if Megson results had continued over the whole season.

I honestly do not believe we would have got relegated that year and I certainly think this false belief in Coyle 'saving us' and thus being a good manager would not have gained some sort of mythological proportions, that even to this day many believe him to be - became established.

Norpig wrote:don't quite understand all this new found love for Megson - i wasn't on this site when he was around but on other sites he was the Devil incarnate! He is by far the worst and most hated Manager we have ever had in my opinion, i wouldn't wish him on our worst enemies.

Nuts had not been born back in those days Norpig but I was in a very small minority on Burnden Aces where many of us posted back then, in maintaining that Coyle was actually achieving anything better than Megson was - it seem that emotion was more important than facts and that everything Megson had done was shit and everything that Coyle was doing was perfect.

I certainly made myself unpopular with some for basing my judgements on the results that were actually achieved rather than on the fact that 'hero' Owen was now the manager and the 'Devil' who was Megson had gone.

Because of my belief in judging with my head rather than my heart I became one of Coyle's first detractors - maybe even the very first - I certainly recall questioning his decisions and tactics very early on in his reign - and being abused by people such as Azreal and Jimbo who could see no wrong whatsoever in him.

Seems even at my advanced age I could still indeed recognise bullshit when I saw it.

Megson had his faults but he could be effective as a manager. Coyle had one plan only - after that he was clueless - and proved himself to be so on many occasions.

37£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 14:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

38£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 14:15

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Last paragraph sums it up:

"In short, Gary Megson made a number of very important and very good signings for Bolton. Namely, Ivan Klasnic, Chung-Yong Lee, Samuel Ricketts, Mark Davies, and Fabrice Muamba. Unfortunately, he also made a lot of very terrible ones with the likes of Grzegzor Rasiak, Ariza Makukula, Sebastian Puygrenier, Danny Shittu, and Ebi Smolarek. Couple that with the fees he paid for Johan Elmander, Zat Knight, Gretar Steinsson, Danny Shittu, and others, and you'd see just why Owen Coyle was wanted so badly."

39£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 14:31

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Last paragraph sums it up:

"In short, Gary Megson made a number of very important and very good signings for Bolton. Namely, Ivan Klasnic, Chung-Yong Lee, Samuel Ricketts, Mark Davies, and Fabrice Muamba. Unfortunately, he also made a lot of very terrible ones with the likes of Grzegzor Rasiak, Ariza Makukula, Sebastian Puygrenier, Danny Shittu, and Ebi Smolarek. Couple that with the fees he paid for Johan Elmander, Zat Knight, Gretar Steinsson, Danny Shittu, and others, and you'd see just why Owen Coyle was wanted so badly."

Just for BDP I'll drag this on further...

I think the first paragraph about Coyle being financially hamstrung was more relevant.

Just thought I'd say "Thanks Owen" before Sluffy got in Wink

40£10 million transfer kitty? - Page 2 Empty Re: £10 million transfer kitty? Tue May 28 2013, 14:42

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

What are you thanking him for?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum