Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday

+20
wessy
rammywhite
Keegan
kennster
Bolton Nuts
gloswhite
Sluffy
luckyPeterpiper
Whitesince63
Boggersbelief
chipbutty
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
JohannesburgWanderer
BoltonTillIDie
aaron_bwfc
doffcocker
scottjames30
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

81Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 12:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

True, same with Arsenal.

I'm not saying we should be playing to that level, but it is truly incredible that a professional footballer can make it to the Championship without any ball skills whatsoever.

82Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 12:54

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:The crux of the matter is we simply have too many players who aren't comfortable on the ball.

Take Medo for example, he needs at least 3 touches to control any sort of pass - on at least 4 occasions yesterday we had potential break aways only for Medo to fuck it up by mis-controlling the ball or taking too long to do it.

Compare that to their number 6 who was playing in a similar position to Medo but literally ran the midfield until he got sent off. It took him one touch to control the ball and then one touch to pass it, or he was comfortable in his own ability to hold onto the ball until he found a player in space.

Can someone please explain to me how a professional footballer playing near the top of his profession can't control a ball or hold onto it for more than 2 seconds? And can someone please explain why we have so many of these players.

Yes, Dougie is a shite manager who over complicates things and often picks ridiculous teams and formations - but it's the players out there on the pitch, not the manager, and if they can't even control a football and then pass it 10 yards it doesn't matter what tactics we use, we are always going to be shit.
I've been saying the same thing for years.....which is one of the main reasons I keep beating a dead horse about us getting a foreign manager.  They seem to value skill and have a better eye for skill than British managers...who still can't get past the good ol' shift attitude.

Most yesterday thought it was a hoof fest yet Doog says our passing was good ....what can you do except throw your hands up in the air and hope big eddie is watching from his Ivory tower.

83Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 13:09

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

chipbutty wrote:I said on this site last season that Freedman is one of the worst managers BWFC have had for a long time and was roundly ridiculed for it.

One of his failings I think, is not a footballing issue but more a personal attitude. He seems arrogant and stubborn and doesn't appear to acknowledge that he has made mistakes and is willing to learn and change things.
I've never met Dougie and I could be completely wrong, I don't know but that is how he comes across.
It sounds like you feel we have another Megson on our hands albeit one who's a bit younger and more articulate. I hope for all our sakes that isn't the case.affraid

84Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 13:12

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I'd go as far as to say Dougie is on a par if not worse than Megson to be honest, as bad as it sounds I think he'd do a better job with this set of players than what Dougie is doing right now.

85Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 13:14

chipbutty wrote:He seems arrogant and stubborn and doesn't appear to acknowledge that he has made mistakes and is willing to learn and change things.
It's your opinion, but I've no idea how you can form such an opinion off the back of a few TV interviews, none of which are an accurate reflection of what's said behind the scenes.

86Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 13:14

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

terenceanne wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:The crux of the matter is we simply have too many players who aren't comfortable on the ball.

Take Medo for example, he needs at least 3 touches to control any sort of pass - on at least 4 occasions yesterday we had potential break aways only for Medo to fuck it up by mis-controlling the ball or taking too long to do it.

Compare that to their number 6 who was playing in a similar position to Medo but literally ran the midfield until he got sent off. It took him one touch to control the ball and then one touch to pass it, or he was comfortable in his own ability to hold onto the ball until he found a player in space.

Can someone please explain to me how a professional footballer playing near the top of his profession can't control a ball or hold onto it for more than 2 seconds? And can someone please explain why we have so many of these players.

Yes, Dougie is a shite manager who over complicates things and often picks ridiculous teams and formations - but it's the players out there on the pitch, not the manager, and if they can't even control a football and then pass it 10 yards it doesn't matter what tactics we use, we are always going to be shit.
I've been saying the same thing for years.....which is one of the main reasons I keep beating a dead horse about us getting a foreign manager.  They seem to value skill and have a better eye for skill than British managers...who still can't get past the good ol' shift attitude.

Most yesterday thought it was a hoof fest yet Doog says our passing was good ....what can you do except throw your hands up in the air and hope big eddie is watching from his Ivory tower.
I hate to say this but the manager's nationality is completely irrelevant. In fact the manager's competence is currently irrelevant. The squad we have simply isn't good enough to play tiki-taka football and we don't have the money to buy players who are yet. However I agree that Dougie, like Owen Coyle and Gary Megson before him is showing a certain amount of one dimensional approach and sadly it's a rather dated one dimension at that. In fact it's so old fashioned it's not one dimension at all; it's the Bay City Rollers.

87Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 14:01

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
terenceanne wrote:

I hate to say this but the manager's nationality is completely irrelevant. In fact the manager's competence is currently irrelevant. The squad we have simply isn't good enough to play tiki-taka football and we don't have the money to buy players who are yet. However I agree that Dougie, like Owen Coyle and Gary Megson before him is showing a certain amount of one dimensional approach and sadly it's a rather dated one dimension at that. In fact it's so old fashioned it's not one dimension at all; it's the Bay City Rollers.
Technically you are correct ...the nationality should not matter but I still feel that the tendency of say a Spanish Manager is to work a passing game....Martinez for example. Watch any game in the spanish/Italian leagues.....rarely is it hoofed....and the goalies would be shot if they hoof it straight out of play like our boggers.

88Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 14:18

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Good idea, lets shoot Bogdan next time he does that Very Happy

89Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 15:49

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:Good idea, lets shoot Bogdan next time he does that Very Happy
We could get Eagles and Beckford to do it, but afraid they would miss into the stands.

90Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 18:45

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

bwfc1874 wrote:
chipbutty wrote:He seems arrogant and stubborn and doesn't appear to acknowledge that he has made mistakes and is willing to learn and change things.
It's your opinion, but I've no idea how you can form such an opinion off the back of a few TV interviews, none of which are an accurate reflection of what's said behind the scenes.
Oh dear, if you are to quote me please do so accurately.

1) If you bother to read my post, you will see that I said that I could very well be wrong about Dougie regarding his stubborn/arrogant opinion.
This is the conclusion I've come to after 12 months after his time in charge.

2) My opinion about the manager has nothing whatsoever to do with his post match interviews.

3)  You say that the TV interviews are not an accurate reflection of what's going on behind the scenes.

Well I can only say that I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but somehow, I think, neither do you.
 At least, unlike yourself, I don't pretend to know.

91Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Sun Oct 20 2013, 18:48

I haven't argued with you Chipbutty, I was just confused as to how you formed that opinion. My Grandad said a similar thing to me about Dougie the other day but I couldn't really work out where he'd got it from either

92Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday Mon Oct 21 2013, 17:38

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hadn't seen this before my recent posts but this sums it up in a nutshell. 

Since Megson arrived this place has been a breeding ground for not just mediocrity but also a talent sucking vacuum.

any player that roles in loses all ability to pass and move, loses any desire to actually show for the ball, the CB's one and only thought is how far can i get this ball away from my foot in the shortest time possible and the strikers become either woefully inaccurate or completely shot shy. 

And It's happened under Megson, Coyle and now Freedman. In terms of actual football played Coyle was the worst by far, Megson filled the team with grafters who'd give you a shift but nothing else. 

DF clearly thinks this team projects as a counter attacking unit but I'm afraid, as Nat says, to have success in that way you need, pace, ability and incisiveness. Of which we have none.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum