Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

We are much better now: Dougie Freedman reflects on a year at Bolton Wanderers

+5
Hipster_Nebula
terenceanne
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
karlypants
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman insists Wanderers are in better health now than when he took over as manager a year ago today.

In an exclusive interview with The Bolton News, the Whites boss has dismissed critics who claim the club has not progressed since Owen Coyle was sacked.

Wanderers were 18th in the table on 15 points from 13 games when Freedman took the reins from caretaker team Jimmy Phillips and Sammy Lee against Cardiff City.

As they head into tomorrow’s home game with Ipswich, they are now 21st on nine points from 12 games – but the manager maintains the league table tells only a fraction of the story of his huge rebuilding job.

The wage bill has been trimmed of big names such as Kevin Davies, Martin Petrov and Sam Ricketts, with the likes of Keith Andrews and Marvin Sordell allowed to leave on loan, while there has also been a huge restructuring of the scouting, analysis and medical departments.

But Freedman admits to some regrets in his first 12 months in charge – most notably allowing Spanish full-back Marcos Alonso to leave in the summer for Fiorentina and not moving on more senior players in the second half of last season.

On the eve of his first anniversary, Freedman spoke candidly about criticism from un-named ex-players and supporters who he feels are not in possession of the full facts.

“Nine times out of 10 the people who say these things are looking at a big picture and won’t be realistic in where we are as a club,” he said. “These so-called experts or ex-players sometimes feel they have the right to work here and call the shots but that shouldn’t be the case.

“I did my apprenticeship at Crystal Palace, I took my coaching badges, I made my way in the game, and I am every determined to take the Bolton fans where they belong and that’s up the table and into the next league.

“Yes, people will look at the league position and say we’re in the same place as when I got here, there or thereabouts. But if you look behind the scenes or the vision we have, we’re more mobile, we have got younger players, more energy and we’re only going to get better.

“From a financial point of view we’re in much better position and looking to the future we look much better.

“Results will change within time, I’m determined to do that, but you cannot do that in one year these days. It will take longer than that to get to where we want to be.

“The majority of the fans who know what they are talking about will see we are not too far away and will see behind the scenes what we are trying to create.”

Ironically, on the eve of his first year at Bolton, his former club Crystal Palace are also seeking a new manager after sacking Ian Holloway.

“It is a funny old game and it has happened to a lot of managers,” Freedman said of the Eagles, who went on to gain promotion after he left Selhurst Park. “Ian Holloway is one of many but he’s very unfortunate to lose his job.”

Last season’s near miss on the play-offs – where the Whites were denied on the last day of the season for their failure to beat Blackpool at the Reebok – remains a sore point with the manager.

“I still think we deserved more in the end,” he said. “I look at it now and we paid the price for not taking our chances and, to be honest, that is how this season has been as well.

“I’m the first to admit that results this season need to be better.

“I’d concur it has been a very up and down time but we needed to put in place foundations and from there we can build.

“I take it for granted that I will be here for the long term, so I put in place everything that a good football club should have - training, recruitment, medical - which unfortunately was not set up when I got here. It wasn’t running as smoothly as it should have been.”

Of his regrets, the failure to tie up an extended deal for Alonso before he left on a free transfer to Serie A was perhaps a surprising admission on the Glaswegian’s part.

“I feel I could have worked a bit harder on that one,” he said. “Maybe I could have persuaded him more.

“Along the line maybe we’ve missed one or two targets we shouldn’t have and I think when we went on that fantastic run last season, that was the time I should have moved on some players.

“But you can’t always look back – I always try to look forward. And hand on heart I am very determined to move things forward.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I buy it for now.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can someone please ban Karlypants. Before he joined I never had to read this shit, but now every other thread is some shite spouted by the club that angers me.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Yep we could be the best organized club in Division One ..... nice.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Can someone please ban Karlypants as I am only interested in playing with my Barbie dolls as these articles are too intelligent for me.
Let me change that for you. Laughing

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

“I’m the first to admit that results this season need to be better.
Tosser, when will he come out and admit things aren't going as well as we'd hope.

Stop taking the positives you fanny!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Dougie Freedman insists Wanderers are in better health now than when he took over as manager a year ago today.
Lower in the league with an inferior squad. Of course we're in better health Dougie!

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:Dougie Freedman insists Wanderers are in better health now than when he took over as manager a year ago today.
Lower in the league with an inferior squad. Of course we're in better health Dougie!
Stockbroker - The reason the stock did not go up does not reflect the quality of the product or the depth the stock has in the future as our predictors say it will take off within the next year.  Or as Littlechap (Stop the World I Want to Get Off) would have said, "Mumble Jumble Mumble Jumble!"

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Megson used to make out he was saving the club from financial ruin, when he was actually the only one doing any damage. I'm not comparing the two situations. Obviously Dougie inherited a mess where Megson didn't, but it will be interesting to see by just how much he has improved the accounts. Some costly players have been shown the door, but some have come through it too.

doffcocker wrote:Megson used to make out he was saving the club from financial ruin, when he was actually the only one doing any damage. I'm not comparing the two situations. Obviously Dougie inherited a mess where Megson didn't, but it will be interesting to see by just how much he has improved the accounts. Some costly players have been shown the door, but some have come through it too.
Agreed, does anyone know when the financial reports are due?

They're integral to how we judge Dougie IMO, if he's managed to reduce  costs I'd say he's doing a good job. I'd certainly take this squad over the one he inherited.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

“The majority of the fans who know what they are talking about will see we are not too far away and will see behind the scenes what we are trying to create.”

Yes we can see you are trying to create a league one team on a piss poor budget, given our league position we are not far away from that goal at all so hats off to him for that.

Which first team players are league one standard?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Which first team players are league one standard?
Spearing could probably hack it, Ream as well.

The rest are League 2 standard at best.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:Agreed, does anyone know when the financial reports are due?
They're usually published around Christmas but as the ones currently due will relate to the 2012/2013 season period, they won't show the real impact Dougie's made. The breakdown of the wage bill figure will still include Kevin Davies', Sam Ricketts' and Petrov's hefty salaries (thanks Owen!) and not those of Beckford, Tierney, Baptiste, et al.
Except, Petrov was supposedly on £50k wages, and Dougie moved him on halfway into the season, so there is that.

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

So there you have it, if you don't concur with Duggie and realise that he is in fact a managerial genius, you are a complete numpty who has no idea what you are talking about.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think it's a fair assumption to make that whilst all fans are disappointed in us getting relegated to the championship, a fair proportion still think we have the squad and the money required to get promoted back into the premiership - when in reality we have neither.

50 years ago, fans hopes for the club were no different but society wasn't as consumerist as it is today and as the credit crunch demonstrated, ordinary folk have become less comfortable with the concept of "living within your means".

The decision to try to deal with spiralling debt, primarily due to a ridiculous wage bill and expensive transfers was taken 3 or 4 years ago - before Dougie's time here. Successive managers have been made the scapegoat for overseeing the cutbacks (as they're in the public firing line and therefore an easy and obvious target) but the real problem is that we just don't have the financial clout to compete in the market at the top table any more.

In any walk of life nobody enjoys being forced to produce more with less resource, but that's the position we're in like it or not.

There is still plenty of scope to argue about the details of the day to day implementation of the plan to turn us back into a club that can survive within our means: the way we play, the players bought, sold and picked, the importance of homegrown talent etc - but all of this needs to be viewed within the bigger picture - something that we often lose sight of.

In this piece of media guff, Dougie was clearly talking about that bigger picture and I am encouraged   by it - not that it's likely to make much of a difference this week or even this season - but it's good to know that the current managerial team have a strong focus on stabilising the ship and doing their best to give us a sustainable foundation to build upon in future years.

Nobody likes austerity but sometimes it has to be tolerated to stop things getting far worse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum