Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman will stamp his own style on Bolton Wanderers

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman believes Wanderers are steadily evolving into his kind of team.

It has been a rough ride this season for the Whites boss, who had to contend with his fair share of criticism after a slow start.

But as his side stretched their unbeaten run to seven games with victory over Millwall, Freedman feels he may be winning over the doubters who seemed so commonplace just a month-or-so ago.

“The majority of fans are seeing a different kind of style,” he told The Bolton News. “Maybe it has never been here – I haven’t watched Bolton games for that many years – but I am trying to introduce my own thing.

“Look at the second goal – there were some members of the crowd shouting ‘get it forward’ but that is not my style. I want to play the ball around at the back, I have got good football players and that’s the way I want to play the game.

“And I don’t think you’ll see a better goal than that all weekend.

“I am trying to win football games but I’m also trying to entertain the fans, and educate them, and say ‘this is how I want to take the club to a different level.’”

The goal in question, crafted by a brilliant pass from Tim Ream and finished with a deft chip by Jermaine Beckford, drew high praise from the manager.

“I think Tim’s probably the only centre-half that could do that in this division,” Freedman said of the American’s slide rule pass. “But then let’s talk about the finish – only a few of us can do that type of thing.”

While all three goalscorers against Millwall – Beckford, Rob Hall and Andre Moritz – were all signed by Freedman, he insists there is still plenty of work to be done before he is happy with his squad. But the Scot isn’t about to let that stand in the way of success.

“We had a very poor start and I don’t want to shy away from it,” he said. “I am not satisfied with it at all. But we took it on the chin and showed as a football club that we can stick together. The players didn’t get too down on themselves and nor did I.

“We worked hard on the training ground and I think there are one or two more players who understand what we’re asking now.

“I’m not going to sit here and say ‘wait until I’ve signed every one of these players and you’ll see what I want you to see’ because managers don’t have enough time to do that.

“I’m trying to put over how I think the game should be played.

“I’ve got a couple of grafters in the middle of the park, some flair on the wings, some flair up top, but you’re not going to suddenly wake up one day and think this is my team.

“If the players buy into it, then great, but if they don’t then they can leave.

“I’ve got a responsibility to the fans and I’m not going to sit around arguing with football players.

“My job is making sure Bolton fans are happy with what they are seeing and winning games.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum