Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time

+8
Culcheth_White
scottjames30
Mr Magoo
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
boltonbonce
Angry Dad
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Time Empty Time Thu Dec 05 2013, 23:54

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Anyone else notice how fast time is going? i look at TV stars and they got old, its monday and then its monday again without the rest of the week, facks going on? i'm still lookin good though.

2Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 00:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I get up for work at half four and I'm still on here. you people are leading me astray.Nighty night.:zzz:

3Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 09:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I try not to think about it you bastard.

4Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 09:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think I've aged in 10 years. People still presume I'm 21.

5Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 12:25

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm still a young buck

6Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 12:31

The short answer is, it's all about experience and repetition.

As a child, you're constantly coming across new things which the brain processes at great length to try and fathom out what's going on. So they make a bigger mark in your conscious understanding.

As you get older, you experience less and less which is truly new to you, so your brain doesn't bother processing these events as deeply, because subconsciously, it recognizes what's going on and kind of ignores it.

Hence, when you were younger, your days seemed fuller because your brain was processing every day events in greater depth and this made it feel like you were doing much more with your time and, as a result, time was passing slower.

Add in to this reduced dopamine levels in later life and we all feel that time passes faster, the older you get.

Breadman PhD.

7Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 12:41

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Now i'm more depressed, hope you are not charging for that Breadman. Where's Breadman come from were you a bread delivery man for sunblest or mothers pride?

8Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 12:46

I've spent the last twenty years working as a consultant within the food manufacturing industry, mainly in bakeries.

I just sort of fell into it after university and never stopped.

And you get free bread.

Which is always a winner in my book.

9Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 14:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I've spent the last twenty years working as a consultant within the food manufacturing industry, mainly in bakeries.

I just sort of fell into it after university and never stopped.

And you get free bread.

Which is always a winner in my book.
Why is bread so shite now Breadman? In the old days you always got a good solid crust,but today it's like eating a sponge. Someone told me they steam it,instead of baking it in the traditional way. Is that right? Or is it just me being nostalgic again? I tend to buy foreign bread these days.

10Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 14:14

Consumer demand, I'm afraid Bonce.

People don't want sharp crusts nowadays. It suggests in their minds that the bread is over-baked and therefore no good.

It's still baked in the traditional way in travelling ovens about 100 yards long but ironically, they use less steam nowadays in the ovens than they used to because it's the injection of steam that gives you a decent crust.

Modern bread (Warbies, Kingsmill, Hovis, etc) is chock full of preservatives and guff because Mrs Public wants a loaf that lasts for 3 or 4 days without going hard, so it now tastes like cardboard.

In France you buy your bread daily (your "daily bread", as it were) and throw away what's left after you've eaten your last meal of the day.

Their bread doesn't need to last 4 days, so they don't fill it full of crap and it tastes better as a result.

When I worked for one particular extremely well known bakery, we produced a loaf that got sprayed with ascorbic acid to give it ten days of shelf life. If you got that stuff on your face it burnt like hell, but it was ok to spray it on bread. Work that one out......

I make me own nowadays.

11Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 15:49

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

12Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 16:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Must be some pretty healthy people on here then. Thanks for the info Breadman. Interesting.

13Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 16:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

Modern bread (Warbies, Kingsmill, Hovis, etc) is chock full of preservatives and guff because Mrs Public wants a loaf that lasts for 3 or 4 days without going hard, so it now tastes like cardboard.

Warburton's Super Toastie is the best bread in the world.

I think it's time to retire from the bread industry, I fear your taste buds are fucked.

14Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 16:52

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

ASDA smart price bread for me, it tastes fucking great with tomato soup and an egg in-between .

15Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 17:19

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Breadman wrote:

Warburton's Super Toastie is the best bread in the world.

I think it's time to retire from the bread industry, I fear your taste buds are fucked.
You carry on tucking in, love.

Just remember, I know what goes in it..........

16Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 17:24

scottjames30 wrote:ASDA smart price bread for me, it tastes fucking great with tomato soup and an egg in-between .

That's because it's basically Kingsmill Soft White in a cheap bag.

Allied Bakeries lose about 8p a loaf on it, but if they don't make it, they don't get the shelf space in ASDA for the Kingsmill.

Same with Tesco Value White and Sainsbury's Basics White.

And here's one for you, Aldi's own brand cream crackers are the same as Jacob's but with a different pattern stamped on 'em.

It's all a big con.

17Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 20:06

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Breadman wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:ASDA smart price bread for me, it tastes fucking great with tomato soup and an egg in-between .

That's because it's basically Kingsmill Soft White in a cheap bag.

Allied Bakeries lose about 8p a loaf on it, but if they don't make it, they don't get the shelf space in ASDA for the Kingsmill.

Same with Tesco Value White and Sainsbury's Basics White.

And here's one for you, Aldi's own brand cream crackers are the same as Jacob's but with a different pattern stamped on 'em.

It's all a big con.
Breadman, are you basically saying that bread that we buy from supermarkets etc, is best avoided, because it's full of rubbish? I love freshly baked Waterfields bread and barms etc, is that stuff just as bad for you?

Do you actually think that a breadmaker is a good choice, providing you have the time?

18Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 20:17

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I wonder if anyone's died from eating too many Preservatives.

19Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 20:19

Culcheth,

It's not that it's bad for you (although I would avoid Wholemeal bread, as it's got more sugar in it than a bucket full of doughnuts), but it just tastes poor because of all the gunk they put in it to make it last longer.

Not sure what goes on in "in-store" bakeries, as I've never worked in one, but given that the Tiger bread we get from Tesco tastes fine and goes stale after 24 hours, I'd imagine that they don't use the same preservatives you see in commercial plant bakeries.

As for bread-makers, I use ours to mix and prove the dough, then I take it out, shape it and bake it in a tin in the oven.

Crank your oven as high as it'll go because that initial burst of heat is what gives your loaf its spring and lift. And if you want a nice crisp crust, chuck a cup of water onto the bottom of the oven as soon as you put the dough in to create some steam. Then, for the first five or so minutes, use one of those spray bottles people use for spraying plants to periodically wet the top of the loaf. A couple of times should do it.

While you're on, I'd like to apologise for my comments last week on that other thread.

Sometimes I can be an insensitive prick and I'm truly sorry for my comments.

20Time Empty Re: Time Fri Dec 06 2013, 20:27

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well said Breadman. I must say your insider knowledge has been a real eye opener. Thanks.Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum