Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers midfielder Stuart Holden ready to prove doubters wrong

+8
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Boggersbelief
BoltonTillIDie
Norpig
wanderlust
Reebok_Rebel
karlypants
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers midfielder Stuart Holden says he is edging closer to a return to fitness after a third long injury lay-off in as many years and vowing to prove his doubters wrong.

Holden tore an anterior cruciate ligament playing for the USA against Panama in last summer’s Gold Cup final.

But more than six months on, he is back in Bolton and determined to be back in a Wanderers shirt as soon as possible.

On his official Twitter account yesterday, it said: “Really pleased with my progress after all the hard work! Nearly there now!! If you bet against me, prepare to pay up.”

Source

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

whatever...  Rolling Eyes 

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was thinking about whether he would make a return before his contract expires in the summer.
I have a feeling that this "good news" story has been rushed out in the light of the Reading debacle.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i really like the lad but how many more chances can we give him? I feel sorry for him in a way but we simply can't afford to keep paying someone who hasn't played for 2 years.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't the USA cover his wages whilst he was injured?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yeah they did BTID.

This is his last chance for us

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's got fuck all to do with us giving him a chance. If he does fully recover there would be plenty of interest, but he's made a commitment to us which is refreshingly loyal in this day and age.

He was a good player for us, he's not costing us anything, he's been nothing but complimentary about the club and he says he's doing all he can to get back to help us out.

Only wish more players had his attitude and loyalty. And I really hope he makes it for him as much as us - after all he's the one who's been threatened with career-ending injuries.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:It's got fuck all to do with us giving him a chance. If he does fully recover there would be plenty of interest, but he's made a commitment to us which is refreshingly loyal in this day and age.

He was a good player for us, he's not costing us anything, he's been nothing but complimentary about the club and he says he's doing all he can to get back to help us out.

Only wish more players had his attitude and loyalty. And I really hope he makes it for him as much as us - after all he's the one who's been threatened with career-ending injuries.

don't get me wrong Wanderlust, i hope so too, i wasn't aware that his wages were covered, but it really is the last chance saloon for him as a professional. One more injury will probably finish his career

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:It's got fuck all to do with us giving him a chance. If he does fully recover there would be plenty of interest, but he's made a commitment to us which is refreshingly loyal in this day and age.

Agree about the attitude, but seeing as we paid him top dollar for sitting on the sidelines for two years and THEN gave him a new contract, I'm not surprised he's being complimentary - he probably smells another contract!

Let's face it, he was nowhere near the player he used to be when he came back last time - will another year out have made him any better? Of course not. Time to say thanks, but no thanks.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Disrespect from some fans is sickening.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Disrespect from some fans is sickening.

Do you still have that poster of him on your bedroom wall?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

meaning who exactly?

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Laughing 

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Poster? You mean posterS.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

It was always the one on the ceiling that disturbed me.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Agree about the attitude, but seeing as we paid him top dollar for sitting on the sidelines for two years and THEN gave him a new contract, I'm not surprised he's being complimentary - he probably smells another contract!

Let's face it, he was nowhere near the player he used to be when he came back last time - will another year out have made him any better? Of course not. Time to say thanks, but no thanks.

Nat/Norpig: It seems to me that footballer's contracts of employment and T&C etc. vary from the norm and it would be useful to all fans if we had a clearer insight into the nature of the deals they are on as we only ever see the headline figures, however..
I would imagine that when a player is injured long term then the club and player would call on their respective insurances that are commonplace elsewhere e.g. Employer's Liability or loss of earnings insurance or similar.
If this is the case then in theory losing a player to injury shouldn't cost the club anything for the duration of their absence.
In Holden's case, there is nothing more to lose anyway. Either he makes a full recovery and returns as a professional player - and if so, he has made a commitment to us - or he doesn't in which case his contract will be allowed to expire.
The ONLY possible risk in this scenario is that he comes back as good as ever, gets a new contract and is then injured again - which with his history is a decent bet. But even if he did, the insurance should cover it.
So unless the club doesn't have the appropriate insurances in place, I don't see any problem in giving Stuey every possible chance to resurrect his career with us - in fact I hope he does make it as I'm not seeing that level of commitment to BWFC (OK it's just words ATM, but the right words) from some of the others who seem to be taking us for a ride.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

It was always the one on the ceiling that disturbed me.

You should see the one in my wallet.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Was that from the time you hid in his toilet cistern?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Was that from the time you hid in his toilet cistern?

Washing basket.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Yet another false dawn unfortunately. I won't be letting excitement get the better of me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum