Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton midfielder Stuart Holden confident he will play again

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The US international midfielder, 28, first damaged his knee in a tackle with Jonny Evans in March 2011.

Three comeback attempts have ended with Holden suffering further knee injuries but he is determined to play again.

"I am a warrior and that's my mentality. I won't give up because I know I still have a lot left to give the game," he said.

"It's frustrating when you keep asking yourself 'why do you keep having these setbacks? And why is it a big injury after big injury.'

"It was obviously a setback personally and there were a lot of emotions flying around but I'm well and truly feeling like I want to do this thing again."

Holden was the focal point of a Bolton team that sat seventh in the Premier League table and were about to face Stoke in an FA Cup semi-final when he was first injured.

Manchester United defender Evans was sent off for the foul while Holden suffered a broken left leg and a deep cut that required 26 stitches.

Since that day, 36 months ago, Holden has started just nine games - one for Bolton, four during a loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday in 2013 and four for the US national team.

But Holden claims that he has long since forgiven Evans.

"It's more frustrating than anything," he told YouTube channel Soccer Morning.

"It's easy to harbour those feelings and think about 'what if? Or why did he do that, and be angry'.

"I've learned in my life not to dwell on those things because I can't change them."

Holden's first comeback game after picking up the initial injury at Old Trafford was against Aston Villa in the League Cup in September 2011.

He managed 90 minutes but a follow-up operation then revealed cartilage damage.

The former Houston Dynamo player spent 16 months on the sidelines before returning in a Bolton shirt in January 2013 and then going on loan to Sheffield Wednesday.

That summer he joined up with his national team for the Concacaf Gold Cup only to tear his cruciate ligmanets in his right knee as the US won the final 1-0 by beating Panama.

His most recent return to football saw him last 23 minutes of a reserve game against Everton in March before he limped off. He has since undergone surgery in America on his right knee.

Source

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think anyone can argue with his attitude, it is superb. Even if it is a losing battle. 

honestly in his position I would be far more negative and would have probably given up!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i admire his optimism but really does anyone expect him to play again?

It is a shame as he was our best player and someone we could have built a team around but i can't think of anyone who has come back from 4 major injuries like this and played at the same standard.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't think he can make it back but I sure as hell hope he proves me wrong. If anyone ever deserved a bit of luck it's Stuart Holden.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum