Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Conor Wilkinson SHIPPED to the GULLS

+5
karlypants
Barryjw
luckyPeterpiper
Reebok_Rebel
Hipster_Nebula
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Conor Wilkinson SHIPPED to the GULLS Empty Conor Wilkinson SHIPPED to the GULLS Fri Feb 14 2014, 15:37

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Torquay on loan.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Id have had him here.

Although... competing with Torquay united for a loan would have been a waste of time for us...they are in a league above us financially.  Rolling Eyes 

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Torquay on loan.
Would the last "promising prospect" to leave on loan please turn out the lights at the Academy? Thank you. Laughing

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Having watched him play he is not yet up to Championship standard so a loan to another league club can only be of benefit to him and the club in the long run.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers striker heads out on loan to Torquay United

Conor Wilkinson has joined League Two outfit Torquay United on a one month loan deal.

The striker, who has been in impressive scoring form for Jamie Fullarton’s Under-21 side this season, had a stint on loan with Conference Premier side Chester FC late last year.

The 19-year-old will go straight into Chris Hargreaves’ Gulls squad for their game against Chesterfield this weekend.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good news, important for his development to get game time.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Barryjw wrote:Having watched him play he is not yet up to Championship standard so a loan to another league club can only be of benefit to him and the club in the long run.

Our league position would seem to suggest we have a team full of players who aren't yet up to Championship standard Bazza so Wilkinson would appear to have no problem fitting in. I think there is too much of this not good enough yet rubbish being spouted. You won't know he's good enough until you try him. Some players excel when thrown into such positions but you have to give them that chance first. 

I do think a full 90 minutes may be excessive but surely a 20 minute stint at the end of games wouldn't hurt and it's not like we have loads of options is it? 

In the end I'm a great believer that you learn best from playing with better players so on that basis I agree he should go to Torquay rather than stay with us and hopefully whilst he's away Dougie will get the push?  Razz

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

If he's on the team sheet tomorrow I feel a flutter is in order.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Whitesince63 wrote:
Barryjw wrote:Having watched him play he is not yet up to Championship standard so a loan to another league club can only be of benefit to him and the club in the long run.

Our league position would seem to suggest we have a team full of players who aren't yet up to Championship standard Bazza so Wilkinson would appear to have no problem fitting in. I think there is too much of this not good enough yet rubbish being spouted. You won't know he's good enough until you try him. Some players excel when thrown into such positions but you have to give them that chance first. 

I do think a full 90 minutes may be excessive but surely a 20 minute stint at the end of games wouldn't hurt and it's not like we have loads of options is it? 

In the end I'm a great believer that you learn best from playing with better players so on that basis I agree he should go to Torquay rather than stay with us and hopefully whilst he's away Dougie will get the push?  Razz
I agree a 20 minute stint at the end of a game would benefit a young player provided it is in a confident successful side. I do not believe a late appearance in a side low on confidence chasing a game would benefit a young player.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Barryjw wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:

I agree a 20 minute stint at the end of a game would benefit a young player provided it is in a confident successful side. I do not believe a late appearance in a side low on confidence chasing a game would benefit a young player.

Fair point, but a new youngster won't worry about that, nor will he have the emotional baggage. He will, if he's good enough, grab his opportunity, and, who knows, maybe provide the missing link-up , or whatever, that is needed. We need to break this stale, underperforming, play. Why not a youngster ?

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Look if these kids are not up to Champs standard then none of them should be on our books.....I personally don't believe it but can't swear to it having not seen anybody given a chance. Soon none will be good enough for Division One either?

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

terenceanne wrote:Look if these kids are not up to Champs standard then none of them should be on our books.....I personally don't believe it but can't swear to it having not seen anybody given a chance.  Soon none will be good enough for Division One either?  
The fact that some of our youngsters are not up to Championship level at the moment does not mean they will not up to it in the near future!

It's called development!

Unfortunately we are competing with the "glamour" clubs for the best young players available and may have to settle for second best, whom may take longer to get there.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

One thing that concerns me is that they are not yet ready according to the manager. There are a few areas in which his judgement has been called into question, so how do we know he's right with the young players, if he won't risk it?

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

gloswhite wrote:One thing that concerns me is that they are not yet ready according to the manager. There are a few areas in which his judgement has been called into question, so how do we know he's right with the young players, if he won't risk it?
We don't know if he's right but I'm sure he will have taken the advice of his legion of coaches in formulating the judgement.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Barryjw wrote:
gloswhite wrote:One thing that concerns me is that they are not yet ready according to the manager. There are a few areas in which his judgement has been called into question, so how do we know he's right with the young players, if he won't risk it?
We don't know if he's right but I'm sure he will have taken the advice of his legion of coaches in formulating the judgement.
True, but he is either ignoring what he's being told, or he's getting the wrong information, because it's not working, and his only real option is fresh blood. We know he can't buy any, and we also know we are still heading south, so, to my mind, he's worked himself into a corner, with very few options. he has to do something different.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

gloswhite wrote:
Barryjw wrote:
True, but he is either ignoring what he's being told, or he's getting the wrong information, because it's not working, and his only real option is fresh blood. We know he can't buy any, and we also know we are still heading south, so, to my mind, he's worked himself into a corner, with very few options. he has to do something different.
The other possibility is that the judgement is sound and they are not yet ready.
Selecting an inexperienced player who is not ready is a bit like a turkey voting for Christmas!
Only time will tell.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum