Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month.

+21
wessy
White84
Norpig
Soul Kitchen
Whitesince63
Triumph
rammywhite
Keegan
Banks of the Croal
Hip Priest
carrs
Sluffy
aaron_bwfc
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
MartinBWFC
karlypants
Culcheth_White
Boggersbelief
scottjames30
Hipster_Nebula
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

61OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 02:06

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm bored with the McNaughton saga now. It's over, done, we need to move on, same as Dawson. 

Personally I still don't get why we're borrowing strikers or wingers anyway instead of keeping hold of our own and using the money we're paying Trotter, Jutkiewicz and now probably Mason as well to go find a left back who's ready to play now. This Mikael Dyrestam lad wouldn't get in the team if he came here, he's "only" 23 so it's off to "development squad" with him to "get match fitness" even if he passed the trial. 

In all seriousness though, I really feel that the defensive situation should never have got this far. As soon as Alonso left and Tierney became our only left back (at least our only Senior left back) then the hunt should have been on for a replacement/backup. It smacks of incompetence from the boardroom down that we sit here discussing this still after so long. 

62OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 09:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tierney was bought to replace Alonso so presumably there was no recognised back up even when Alonso was here? 
I can only imagine that Dyrestam and Popescu are being given trials to see if they can hack it as a) we seem to have exhausted all the affordable UK options although we could look harder in the lower leagues for an affordable permanent solution b) they have both shown promise with Dyrestam having played for the national team and c) they are both affordable although in Dyrestam's case it's perhaps because of his injuries. If either are taken on, it may be with a view to playing them next season after the clearout anyway.

The loans make some sort of sense too. If Dougie is genuinely looking to clear out players on prem wages in the summer and promote youngsters as he says he is, then all we need to do is get through this season. Mason isn't a permanent signing and seeing as he's a prem player he should have the quality to ensure our league performances improve. Personally I'm not convinced, but in theory it's fine.

What is apparent is that all the players sent out on loan have either failed when given a chance or not made it into the first team - and I include Cavies in that. Makes sense to try others and getting SKD and Ngog off the books has given a little wriggle room to experiment.

I think I understand what Dougie is trying to do.

All good in theory and it makes logical sense but whether it all works out in practice is another matter altogether and we'll just have to wait and see.

63OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 12:48

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

So there we go, it's official Mason has joined us on loan until 12th April. Let's just hope Dougie doesn't do something really stupid, like drop the Juke and play Mason on his todd.  Rolling Eyes 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Joe Mason has re-joined on loan from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] until April 12, subject to international clearance. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

64OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 12:49

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I vote this the worse signing ever.

He had an 8 game trial and was shit. So we re-sign him. Brilliant!

65OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 12:58

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:I vote this the worse signing ever.

He had an 8 game trial and was shit. So we re-sign him. Brilliant!
I think Cid will always hold that title Nat but I do feel less than thrilled by this myself as well. 

It's not so much that I have anything against Jutkiewicz or Mason personally or even as players, in fact Juke has done well for us so far. I just can't help wondering why we're borrowing other people's strikers and sending our own out elsewhere to accommodate them. Dougie talked earlier this week about building a team around Juke but he goes back to Boro in summer. He mentioned Trotter as a cracking prospect but again he ain't our player yet. 

I realise trying to make sense of anything Dougie does is fruitless but this makes even less sense than usual, at least to me.

66OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 12:59

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Welcome back JOE! All the best. 

::bwfcfan::  ::bwfcfan::  ::bwfcfan::

67OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:02

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Welcome back JOE! All the best. 

::bwfcfan::  ::bwfcfan::  ::bwfcfan::
I second that Hipster, I hope the lad does well for us even though I question the thinking that has brought him back here. Eaves and Cravies are both our own players and the latter should never have been sent out while th former could have been recalled if we need another striker this badly. I haven't forgotten Sordell but he's one I really DON'T want to see back here and I have the feeling we won't see him in our shirt again.

68OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:02

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Culcheth_White wrote:So there we go, it's official Mason has joined us on loan until 12th April. Let's just hope Dougie doesn't do something really stupid, like drop the Juke and play Mason on his todd.  Rolling Eyes 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[ltr]@OfficialBWFC[/ltr]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Joe Mason has re-joined on loan from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] until April 12, subject to international clearance. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If he's got a contract at Cardiff then he can't be a complete stump.
Lets give him a few games before we judge him too harshly.
It all depends on the way that Freedman deploys him. As a lone striker then it's a waste of a shirt, but with Juke or Beckford then  the lad might just prove there's something about him.

Last edited by rammywhite on Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:04; edited 1 time in total

69OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"International clearance"??? Weird.

Still it's just another temporary loan to get us through to the big clearout in summer so it's no big deal.

70OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:06

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers confirm return of Cardiff City striker Joe Mason on second loan spell

Wanderers have today confirmed the return of Cardiff City forward Joe Mason for a second loan spell at the Reebok Stadium.

As reported in The Bolton News on Monday, a deal has been agreed for Mason to rejoin and his second loan will run until Saturday, April 12, when Wanderers host Barnsley in the Championship.

The 22-year-old played eight times in his previous spell, scoring his only goal on his first start in a 3-0 home victory against Doncaster.

He returned to South Wales in the new year and started for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side in their FA Cup win at the Reebok a month ago.

Mason had been linked with a return before the transfer window closed on January 31 but it stalled for personal reasons.

Now he is back and, subject to international clearance, will be available for Saturday's home clash with Watford. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

71OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
I think Cid will always hold that title Nat but I do feel less than thrilled by this myself as well. 

Yes, but if Cid had been on an initial 8 game trial do you think we'd have signed him?

72OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:09

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

rammy I just can't help wondering why we brought him back only until April when we have players of our own plying their trade elsewhere. It isn't anything against Mason himself, he strikes me as quite decent when he plays for Cardiff but Dougie won't use him in his best role here anyway. I just think this whole sorry sage should never have happened. Eaves and Cravies both could be in the senior squad here, especially Cravies who to my eye looked pretty sharp in the last game he played before being shipped out. 

We need a Left Back, desperately. I know we're reportedly giving one lad a trial Dyerstram I think his name is but he's a right footed defender who can play in left full back position if he needs to. That's not the same in my mind. We need a proper left footed full back. I know there aren't a massive number of them about but we should have found one by now.

73OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:14

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Yes, but if Cid had been on an initial 8 game trial do you think we'd have signed him?
Under Big Sam? Are you kidding? If the Big Guy had had the option after 8 games I suspect Cid would have been seen flying over the Sea Of Tranquility after a short meeting between Sam's boot and his butt. 

I take your point but even so I don't think Mason is a terrible player. I do think DF won't use him right. He's more a winger than a frontman and if DF sticks him in as the lone striker then he'll struggle badly again imo.

74OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:15

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

LPP- agree with you entirely that shipping players out right left and centre seems a strange thing to do. Also on the left back position-we should have borrowed someone months ago to see if Tierney's leg heals up properly.

Dougies activities sometimes make you wonder what he's doing.
Keep the avatar though!!

75OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We could do with a few of 'em whenever you're ready Joey....

76OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. - Page 4 Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mason signs for a month. Thu Feb 20 2014, 21:35

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Didn't set the world alight when he was last here but IF he is in a 4-4-2 I think we might see a good player.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum