Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Finished at last

+4
terenceanne
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
rammywhite
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Finished at last Empty Finished at last Sat May 03 2014, 14:15

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

This was a season that will stick in the memory for a long time for all the wrong reasons Anyone agree with me that you're glad to see the end of it

2Finished at last Empty Re: Finished at last Sat May 03 2014, 14:16

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes but it had to happen.
More change to come in the summer - just hope we end up with players who can compete.

3Finished at last Empty Re: Finished at last Sat May 03 2014, 14:20

More of the same next season, I fear.

We've no money, so we won't buy much in terms of quality and we'll have to rely on loans again.

I just hope we avoid another dreadful start and are actually in the top half more.....

4Finished at last Empty Re: Finished at last Sat May 03 2014, 14:21

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We just lack quality right through the side tbh. 

No football IQ, no skill, complete lack of awareness, no one who can pass and move, no wing play to speak of, full backs without the kind of pace and verve you like to see in the modern game.

Danns celebrated his new contract by having his worst game, maybe ever. Hall I thought was really poor today but doesn't exactly get the ball in the right areas. Spearing is all action but very little quality to his game, Trotter makes good tackles and blocks but seems to lack the IQ to do anything with it once he's won it back. 

Beckford is actually an intelligent runner, but is very erratic with his touches. 

So lots of work of to do frankly.

5Finished at last Empty Re: Finished at last Sat May 03 2014, 16:12

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

A typical game sadly ..... Doog puts out one striker at home in a game that means nothing ....then towards the end brings on Zat to protect a lead ..... then the equalizer which we could all see coming a mile away.  I can't really see what Doog brings to the table at all.
On the field ....Lee was our best player.  Trotters name was barely mentioned and the rest was mostly hoof ball.  Brum certainly deserved a point if not all three for the effort.

Going into next season I can't see where the influx of quality is coming from.....and Doog will still be there.  Summer will be interesting.

6Finished at last Empty Re: Finished at last Sat May 03 2014, 16:14

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

More of the same unless we get a tough Manager.

7Finished at last Empty Re: Finished at last Sat May 03 2014, 19:02

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Thank fuck !!!

8Finished at last Empty Re: Finished at last Sun May 04 2014, 11:56

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Watching Cardiff getting relegated with Zaha on one wing and Bellamy on the other just underlined the gulf we have to bridge and I doubt it will be possible in the short term. We have to let go a lot of the players that got us relegated and who could possibly hold their own in the Premiership - we couldn't even afford Marcus Alonso who is making up the numbers at struggling Sunderland.
This year Dougie has worked towards playing a system that requires better quality than we have, especially in the midfield and it looks like he wants to stick to vacillating between 451 and 442 depending on the opposition. By and large it's worked a lot better in the second half of the season but we need more spark consistently and I can't see it coming from Danns, Trotter, Spearing, Medo, Lee and Hall. They're all fine on their day but this season every one of them has had "bad days" often at the same time and far too often generally.
If Mavies stays and Holden miraculously throws away his crutches and re-signs for us we would probably have enough to compete for a playoff place but no more than that. Otherwise it's up to Dougie to pull a few rabbits out of the hat again. Dyer would be a good start, but whilst he can torture defences on his day he's another erratic/inconsistent player.

We have 3 chances: By some miracle our midfield starts the season well and consistently maintains a higher standard, our kids come through and show more class than what we currently have or DF pulls off a couple of superb signings.

It's a big ask - as a benchmark, half the players in the Cardiff, Fulham and Norwich sides would walk into our team if we could afford them IMO - and even they aren't good enough for the Premiership.

9Finished at last Empty Re: Finished at last Sun May 04 2014, 12:24

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Well that's that and I am happy that this inconsistent season is over. It will be interesting to see what happens in the summer and as I have stated on other threads next season is make or break for Dougie.

I am hoping that we will see some of the youth come through, Kellet and Threlkeld have looked promising and that Douglas can sign some of the players he feels are more able to cope with the grind of this division.

10Finished at last Empty Re: Finished at last Sun May 04 2014, 12:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Watching Cardiff getting relegated with Zaha on one wing and Bellamy on the other just underlined the gulf we have to bridge and I doubt it will be possible in the short term. We have to let go a lot of the players that got us relegated and who could possibly hold their own in the Premiership - we couldn't even afford Marcus Alonso who is making up the numbers at struggling Sunderland.
This year Dougie has worked towards playing a system that requires better quality than we have, especially in the midfield and it looks like he wants to stick to vacillating between 451 and 442 depending on the opposition. By and large it's worked a lot better in the second half of the season but we need more spark consistently and I can't see it coming from Danns, Trotter, Spearing, Medo, Lee and Hall. They're all fine on their day but this season every one of them has had "bad days" often at the same time and far too often generally.
If Mavies stays and Holden miraculously throws away his crutches and re-signs for us we would probably have enough to compete for a playoff place but no more than that. Otherwise it's up to Dougie to pull a few rabbits out of the hat again. Dyer would be a good start, but whilst he can torture defences on his day he's another erratic/inconsistent player.

We have 3 chances: By some miracle our midfield starts the season well and consistently maintains a higher standard, our kids come through and show more class than what we currently have or DF pulls off a couple of superb signings.

It's a big ask - as a benchmark, half the players in the Cardiff, Fulham and Norwich sides would walk into our team if we could afford them IMO - and even they aren't good enough for the Premiership.

Utter rubbish.

If this team had shown some fight, the manager had a clue about tactics, and we'd been more positive in our play we'd have walked a play-off place. I agree our squad is basically shit, but with the right man in charge we'd still have been looking towards a possible Wembley appearance.

With a couple of strong signings (a striker an absolute must) this team should compete for promotion next season, but with Freedman in charge it simply won't happen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum