Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The WC and DF

+13
Sluffy
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
Numpty 28723
JAH
Natasha Whittam
Keegan
Hip Priest
Bolton Nuts
BoltonTillIDie
Boggersbelief
Reebok Trotter
okocha
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

41The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Thu Jun 19 2014, 22:19

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sorry, that wasn't a general comment; it was addressed to 1874.....

42The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Thu Jun 19 2014, 22:53

okocha wrote:I'm talking about getting the BEST out of a player; it was generally agreed that Ream played best when part of the midfield; he was vulnerable as a left back and was caught out too often, and he didn't present much of an attacking threat from that position.
As for Ngog, you obviously never listened to Lawrenson and Hansen discussing his qualities which were essentially as a left-sided provider and certainly not a striker. He was one of those who would have a good game and then be dropped immediately....depressing!
We should have been able to get Pratley to contribute with the natural assets he possesses. Similar story re Eagles around whom DF said he was going to build the team......hmmmm!
I've been following some of the posts on here recently and I can see why you support Dougie; it's clearly because in him you see a mirror-image of yourself:- supercilious and dismissive of others, you give the impression that you know best and all other opinions are to be derided. Learn some humility.

You're right I am a bit of a prick when I post, I apologise. Glad you follow my posts though.

Your proof for N'gog being a good left sided midfielder is Hansen and Lawrenson? Come on, he never set the world alight at Liverpool or Bolton, pushing him out to the left wouldn't have got the best out of him, it wouldn't have helped- part of the problem was he was injury prone.

Hopefully with Tierney back we'll see more of Ream in midfield, I agree with you he did look good there but I still don't think he was wrong to play Ream at LB? Who would have been the alternative? Ream did better than anybody else we tried there - Baptiste, essentially Ream got player of the season for playing that role. 

My argument with Pratley was his 'natural asset' is his work rate, for which I think he was utilised properly, put on to hassle the opposition I don't think he's up to much else.

43The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Thu Jun 19 2014, 23:11

I really hope Okocha is a genuine poster and not yet another incarnation of one of the regulars....

Although.....even if he is, he's a welcome addition.

44The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Thu Jun 19 2014, 23:59

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

No reason to suspect he isn't a genuine poster.

I'd like to add to the above list of people who you have impressed with your posts and am really looking forward to read your views about the club, players and management from now on.

I do very much hope you decide to stick around and post more frequently now that you've broken the ice.

Welcome on board Nuts with the rest of us.

45The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Fri Jun 20 2014, 16:54

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Welcome to the madhouse Okocha. good posts, and you even got 1874 to agree with you (only the one thing though). I think you give an indication of your age, (and therefore knowledge/experience of the team), when you used the term 'smarter than the average bear'. I'm sure that even Yogi Bear and Boo Boo could decide better tactics than DF  Very Happy

46The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Fri Jun 20 2014, 17:49

gloswhite wrote:Welcome to the madhouse Okocha. good posts, and you even got 1874 to agree with you (only the one thing though).

Yep just the one thing, very poor for 90%.

47The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Fri Jun 20 2014, 18:48

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

What happened to the new-found humility ?  Very Happy

48The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Fri Jun 20 2014, 19:26

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

Englands players visited an orphanage today,it was heartbreaking seeing those poor faces,utterly with no hope, said Jose aged 6

49The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Fri Jun 20 2014, 19:30

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

"I don't really know my best position. left, right or centre"

"Wayne, just get on the fekking plane and pick an aisle will you."

50The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Fri Jun 20 2014, 19:47

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Worthy of the joke thread carrs.  :good: (made me chuckle)

51The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Fri Jun 20 2014, 20:02

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

gloswhite wrote:Worthy of the joke thread carrs.  :good: (made me chuckle)

We would need new Joke thread sections for that. Perhaps  2016 and next season.
Next season - A Take the piss out of DF dumb incompetence jokes special
2016 - It's the England Oups I did it again jokes special

52The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Tue Jul 08 2014, 22:14

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Well, as if we needed any further evidence, Germany have provided conclusive proof this evening that Dougie's "superior" philosophy and strategy for the modern era need to be revised. Stop trying to be such a smart-arse and follow the best role-models.

Pressing the man in possession, then moving into space to receive a pass are, and always have been, the simple keys to success. Pace and comfort on the ball are extra luxuries, but let's just focus in training on the first essentials, shall we?!

53The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Tue Jul 08 2014, 22:20

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good point. Football is a simple game made complicated by experts.

54The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Wed Jul 09 2014, 09:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Well, as if we needed any further evidence, Germany have provided conclusive proof this evening that Dougie's "superior" philosophy and strategy for the modern era need to be revised. Stop trying to be such a smart-arse and follow the best role-models.

With respect I don't see what Germany's performance has to do with Dougie's tactics and selections. Nor do I recall where the phrase "superior" philosophy and strategy for the modern era came from or Dougie ever claiming to have one. A journalist perhaps? 

System-wise, Germany played in exactly the same way (4231) as Dougie. 
Not 442 - 4231.
The only difference is that Loew has players with the ability to move the ball up the pitch with one or two touches max - and with a work rate that ensures that whoever is in possession has multiple options. In order to do that, the players need to be able to pass straight and control the ball with their first touch - which they all did last night apart from Mueller (regularly) and Ozil on occasions.

We are a Championship club trying to play like potential world champions and therein lies the problem. Dougie's system is fine, his tactics are fine on paper but he either needs better quality players to execute it properly or he has to accept that these players can't play like Germany and adopt a more agricultural approach that is commensurate with their ability.

If Germany are the "best role models" surely the opposite of what you said is true? Instead of trying to emulate them with this squad, he should be focusing on improving basic skills - but until they are improved sufficiently - STOP trying to play like Germany.

55The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Wed Jul 09 2014, 09:08

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

Eye but DF keeps on about being like Brazil

56The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Wed Jul 09 2014, 10:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

carrs wrote:Eye but DF keeps on about being like Brazil
The only thing we have in common with Brazil is we know everything about having a close shave in the box.

57The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Wed Jul 09 2014, 10:07

It puts a whole new spin on the fans' favourite song - It's just like watching Brazil!

58The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Wed Jul 09 2014, 10:42

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

I guess it has scuppered the team coming out to Spandau Ballet's GOLD.

59The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Wed Jul 09 2014, 11:11

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Being at Reading was exactly like watching Brazil last night, even down to the scoreline!

The point is, Wanderlust, that the simple basics of pass and move (along with high pressing) have rarely been demonstrated by us under DF. Instead we see slow, square passing across the back four until, with no options ahead, the ball gets hoofed or turned back to Bogdan to hoof. We tend to retreat to our 18-yard line when not in possession. Yet, DF has often indicated that he knows best, and that his is the way forward. He seems to think he can adapt tactics (unnecessarily!) to outwit the opposition. In any case, his stated ideas do not match what we see in practice in the actual games.
Of course we don't have Germany's skills but we can certainly adopt and practise them at our own level. As RT says, it's a simple game that does not need complicating by smart-arse managers.

60The WC and DF - Page 3 Empty Re: The WC and DF Wed Jul 09 2014, 11:54

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We simply dont have the talent to play "like Germany" a team stacked with world class players.

You can have players "show" for the ball all you want, but every player who does will still be a player who lacks the ability and composure to react accordingly under the pressure that will be forthcoming (someone closing him down)

instead of just moving the ball to the next target (another player who lacks the football IQ and composure necessary) he will usually panic, either find the goalkeeper (the easy option) or go long (the very easy option)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum