Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Official - Marvin Sordell signs for Burnley

+11
Reebok Trotter
JAH
Banks of the Croal
BoltonTillIDie
scottjames30
Sluffy
Keegan
Boggersbelief
Reebok_Rebel
Hipster_Nebula
karlypants
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

This That n T'other.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:There's actually some on twitter demanding Freedman go because he let Sordell leave.
Quite right, should've give the boy another chance , seeing that we are desperate for a striker.

This.

:facepalm:

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Freedman should resign, he has no faith in himself to develop good players.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sordell never claimed he was homesick! DF is famous for working and bringing through youth! So what the fuck happened here Dougie? Sordell had better be a flop for them or you will look even more of a fool than you already are!

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FWIW Sordell never really got going for the Wanderers. He was in and out of the starting line-up and it has been nigh on impossible for any hard-core Wanderers fan to make an accurate assessment of his talent based on the games he actually started. He played a few times with the Arsenal reject, Benik Afobe who was another one who failed to deliver.

Sordell has performed at a decent level for England at Under 21 under Stuart Pearce so he must have something going for him, but whatever it was, he certainly didn't show it for us.

Banks of the Croal wrote:This That n T'other.

Thank you ,sir, for clocking that.

I worked hard on that gag.....

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Couple of ineffective appearances from the bench is all he'll achieve at Burnley. His shit attitude stands out a mile. He can't cut it in the championship let alone the prem.
Obscurity beckons. Thanks for that Owen.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hip Priest wrote:Couple of ineffective appearances from the bench is all he'll achieve at Burnley. His shit attitude stands out a mile. He can't cut it in the championship let alone the prem.
Obscurity beckons. Thanks for that Owen.

:agree: 

I was talking to a friend who supports Charlton a couple of days ago. Like us they desperately need a decent striker but Sordell did not impress Charlton fans: 8 goals in 35 appearances is even worse than his record with us.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I don't blame DF for one minute over letting Sordell go, his attitude from the minute he signed for us was appauling - coming out a few months after he had signed pretty much stating he didn't want to be here by claiming ''homesickness''.

Another young english player with a bad work ethic IMO.

Don't think he'll do much at Burnley, it's a good sale for us in as much as I was convinced he'd walk for free at the end of his contract.

Sordell was clearly never committed to playing for us, probably caused initially by Coyle's resistance to playing him, which will go down as one of the most bizarre pieces of management I've ever seen to be honest. I'll never get my head around it.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

His career has been more of a mishmash than a hotchpotch.

Great for England and the GB Olympic team, average at best for the clubs he's played for.

Off the wage bill now though so that's a positive.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I am gutted he never got a chance to shine for us but FFS if some of you are going to say Sordell claimed he was homesick post a link to the interview where he admitted it. You'll never find one so stop with this bullshit hearsay crap! He's off the wage which is a positive but we now how 2 senior strikers which IMO is suicidal in this league!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Freedman looking for a cure for Marvin's homesickness

DOUGIE Freedman believes homesickness has spoiled Marvin Sordell’s start at Bolton Wanderers.

The England Under-21 star looked poised to leave the club on loan this week – with Peterborough United among the clubs linked with his services – after failing to hold down a regular place in the team since his big- money move from Watford in January.

Fans have grown frustrated by his lack of opportunities but Freedman insists he has not sought to tout the striker’s wares elsewhere and is now working hard off the field to ease him back into the first-team fold.

London lad Sordell has found life difficult away from his family in the capital but the new Wanderers boss is now hoping a spot of TLC can see him realise the potential that prompted his predecessor Owen Coyle to splash the cash.

“What has happened to the kid is that he's moved up from London and he hasn’t been given any game time,” Freedman said.

“When that happened he got very down on himself. But we’re working very hard with Marvin now because he’s very talented and a very good finisher. We just need to get him a bit fitter and he’ll get an opportunity here.

“He’s homesick. There isn’t even a fancy word for it.”

After making only three substitute appearances in four months at the end of last season under Coyle, Sordell was briefly brought into the team this season and scored his first goal for the club against Nottingham Forest before being benched again.

And that harsh treatment – coupled with the much-publicised troubles on Twitter and a police investigation into abuse aimed at him at Millwall – has given the manager food for thought as he tries to get the young front man back in the right frame of mind.

“We’ve got him working in a few ways,” explained Freedman. “He’s mentoring a few of the kids in the education side of the club and he’s working very hard at his game.

“I think he realises that if he works hard on the training field that he’ll get his opportunities.

“Under the previous manager he didn’t play, which didn’t help, so I have told him that I’d compromise – if he steps up his intensity in training and shows me his attitude and hard work, then he’ll get an opportunity.

“So far he has done that, he’s had a couple of weeks of it, but he’s a million miles from being sent out on loan now.”

Freedman acknowledges the supporters’ disappointment that they have not been able to see more of the player, who at £3.2million could be in danger of being branded an expensive mistake.

“I can understand that and I agree with them,” he added, “The problem he has is because he hasn’t played a lot of games he’s nowhere near match fit.

“I have worked very hard with him and he played for the Under-21s the other night and did pretty well over 90 minutes.

“I reckon a couple more games and he’ll be up to speed to step into the team.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sorry Sluff, you didn't read my post. I'll post again, where Sordell claims he's homesick! Not a manager who is covering his own arse and his inability to manage players! Cheers

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Oh I did read your post mate, that's why I never claimed Sordell said it - might well be bullshit for all I know but something wasn't right somewhere - just look at the facts.

- Three substitute appearances in four months at the end of the season which we were relegated.

- Sordell was briefly brought into the team at the begining of last season and scored his first goal for the club against Nottingham Forest before being benched again.

and all that was under Coyle - not Freedman!

His stats at Charlton weren't anything special either - 4 goals in 30 league games (not counting the one he got a hat trick in) - and that is under two managers, Chris Powell and Roland Duchatelet.

Sordell does have talent, thats clear enough but he hasn't shown it under his last FOUR managers now so I hardly think your criticism of Freedman on this particular instance is justified myself.

Seems to me if he's been under performing for the last two and a half seasons the problem lays more with him than his managers, wouldn't you agree?

Cheers.

Sluffy wrote:Oh I did read your post mate, that's why I never claimed Sordell said it - might well be bullshit for all I know but something wasn't right somewhere - just look at the facts.

- Three substitute appearances in four months at the end of the season which we were relegated.

- Sordell was briefly brought into the team at the begining of last season and scored his first goal for the club against Nottingham Forest before being benched again.

and all that was under Coyle - not Freedman!

His stats at Charlton weren't anything special either - 4 goals in 30 league games (not counting the one he got a hat trick in) - and that is under two managers, Chris Powell and Roland Duchatelet.

Sordell does have talent, thats clear enough but he hasn't shown it under his last FOUR managers now so I hardly think your criticism of Freedman on this particular instance is justified myself.

Seems to me if he's been under performing for the last two and a half seasons the problem lays more with him than his managers, wouldn't you agree?

Cheers.

Excellent post.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Fair point Sluff

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum: