Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kevin Davies

+8
Keegan
terenceanne
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
jayjay23
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Kevin Davies Empty Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 12:00 am

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

So was it just me or did he have a bit of a stinker against Spurs?
I actually thought (contrary to most opinions on here) we played ok for big parts.

I didn't think Davies was as poor as he has been in other weeks but I think tonight showed the very things myself and Doffcocker were alluding to when we feared his two goal stint would lead to a string of starts...

His control is devastating. In a bad way. The way it flicks up into the air to above knee height when it should be a simple trap of the ball. It seems outside his control so often.

He dillied and dallied several times with it at feet. Slower then a glacier when turning or even sprinting.

Poor and slow decision making on and off the ball, poor positioning.

How many times did he stop altogether and appeal for something he was never going to get from the ref. And other times he just stopped for what seemed like no apparent reason. Just stood a metre or so from the ball and.... well stood there.

Some of the passes which he did complete were more luck than judgement too. Plus the majority of flick ons were pointless and wasteful (as in there were better options but he flicked it clueless-ly anyway)

Is he going to play another 90 on Sunday and at Stoke - damn well hope not.

(Oh and I know some other players were good at some things and rubbish at others but this is about whether Davies deserves some of the credit he gets from fans and radio presenters about how he leads us brilliantly - and it's also about whether you can see these flaws or whether you are still hiding behind the fact that he scored two goals last week. Is he really the BEST striking option we have?)

2Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He wasn't great at holding the ball up last night but neither was Ngog and there were a lot of miscontrols and poor passes across the midfield as well. What KD did was cause mayhem in the 5 minutes we had Spurs pinned down in their own box. How we didn't take the lead I'm not sure, but it might have changed the game.
I also thought Mike Dean made a point of not giving Davies anything despite him being fouled incessantly. A different ref and we might be saying how well KD did to win all those free kicks etc. Not happy with Mike Dean.

3Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kevin Davies was out best player last night, the ONLY player who created anything.

4Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 am

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:Kevin Davies was out best player last night, the ONLY player who created anything.

So Petrov, Eagles, Ngog (assist), Klasnic created nothing?

5Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 10:33 am

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dean was poor. He missed a blatant handball by Van Der Fart just before Spurs first goal. That Kyle walker looks a class act. He should be a shoe in for the Euros.

6Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is such a facepalm of a thread but i knew it would come.

You acuse people of ignoring his flaws, unfortunately you ignore the things he does bring to the game so it's a moot point.

was he brilliant last night? No, was he "awful" No, not in my opinion.

he won his fair share of headers, he caused a nuisance of himself and unfortunately he didn't get many decisions going his way, which is a big part of what makes him effective.

If you're going to play "the Davies way" you need people playing off him, either close to him, or in behind him. I don't think we do that effectively enough, but thats just me.

7Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I was at the match with a Southampton fan and even he couldn't believe his lack of commitment in the first half. I urge all the Kevin Davies fans to pay special attention against West Brom (he'll be playing, let's face it!) to his movement (or lack of) when we don't have the ball. It's painful just looking at him, particularly when there was a day when he chased just about anything down. Sure, he's 35 and we can't expect so much from him anymore, but that's why he shouldn't be playing!

He picked up the pace slightly in the second half, and caused one or two problems for Spurs (let's not pretend he was a nightmare)! That said, Klasnic causes problems at one end, but he indirectly causes them at the other end too. At best, Davies is similar to Klasnic - a threat from time to time, but on the whole, a liability in that he doesn't hold the ball up well, his movement and positioning is happy go lucky and his touch is atrocious.

Ngog was having a good game when he got took off. Perhaps Davies would have been the one going off if he hadn't got two goals on Saturday.

8Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 6:37 pm

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I said SKD has been a donkey for years .... of course I got blasted each and everytime. This has nothing to do with being a legend or workrate etc. I look at the skill (or lack thereof). For years I have felt that we hoof it constantly to play to our so-called strength. That being the SKD nod on. Last night there was quite a bit more hoof. I lose track of the times we pass it back to Bogger's to then aimlessly hoof it up the park. I do not blame SKD for any of this personally. He does not pick himself. Why we can't see Sordell or even Tom Eaves get a kick has me baffled at the moment.

9Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

Ngog was having a good game when he got took off. Perhaps Davies would have been the one going off if he hadn't got two goals on Saturday.

You live in a dreamworld, Ngog was absolute garbage. At half-time the joke in the posh seats was whether Ngog would finally thread a pass through for the Spurs strikers seeing as he'd spent the whole first half passing to them.

Good touch for the goal, but I want more from a £4m striker. Slag Davies off all you like, but he's still more of a threat than Ngog will ever be.

10Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

lol the posh seats, did you get a recliner in your living room?

11Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:lol the posh seats, did you get a recliner in your living room?

Shut up you bellend, I'm tiring of your abuse.

12Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:lol the posh seats, did you get a recliner in your living room?

Shut up you bellend, I'm tiring of your abuse.

Ironic.

13Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Ironic.

No, I create threads and you just poke fun or abuse me. I can't believe you haven't been banned.

14Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Ironic.

It's like rain on your wedding day... Very Happy

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

15Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Ironic.

No, I create threads and you just poke fun or abuse me. I can't believe you haven't been banned.

Shut up you bellend

You dumb bastard

What a load of bullshit

Doffcocker you knob

All you bellends

There is one abusive poster on here... not sure it's me though. Suspect

16Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They were taken out of context.

17Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Laughing

18Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 9:34 pm

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
You live in a dreamworld, Ngog was absolute garbage. At half-time the joke in the posh seats was whether Ngog would finally thread a pass through for the Spurs strikers seeing as he'd spent the whole first half passing to them.

That is hugely representative of the average Bolton fan's lenience towards Davies. What did he ACTUALLY do in the first half? At least Ngog chased down most if not all of what he had the right to. And I know you don't care for strikers that run but you can't deny it beats being virtually stationary. He also looked fairly lively when he got the ball (admittedly not always the case) in contrast to Davies who almost looks like he'd rather not have it!

Ngog is one of five, possibly six names I'd rather see on the teamsheet to face West Brom!

19Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

That is hugely representative of the average Bolton fan's lenience towards Davies. What did he ACTUALLY do in the first half? At least Ngog chased down most if not all of what he had the right to. And I know you don't care for strikers that run but you can't deny it beats being virtually stationary. He also looked fairly lively when he got the ball (admittedly not always the case) in contrast to Davies who almost looks like he'd rather not have it!

Ngog is one of five, possibly six names I'd rather see on the teamsheet to face West Brom!

I am not saying Davies is a world-beater, I'd have driven him to Sunderland myself if they'd made an offer in January. But Ngog is young and quick and cost £4m, people should be moaning at him, not a 35 year old who's given decent service to the club.

20Kevin Davies Empty Re: Kevin Davies Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 pm

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sunderland did make an offer for him in January, but it was reputedly very low, £250k.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum