Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If we could have signed just one player - any player...

+12
FullofSprite
Sluffy
MartinBWFC
Norpig
scottjames30
finlaymcdanger
xmiles
CAMPO
Fabians Right Peg
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Think we would have needed more than 1 player to save us but I like the Phillips guy who plays for QPR, don't know his first name because I'm a bit drunk.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:
y2johnny wrote:Sorry to get back on topic.  Didnt think this one would get much attention

I would of have said someone like Barton would of have been good.  Box to box and would of have hopefully got others to up their game if only in fear of a good twatting if they didnt off him.
That's better.
Fuck me.  Nothing better to do?

You edit other people's comments everyday.....

finlaymcdanger wrote:
y2johnny wrote:Sorry to get back on topic.  Didnt think this one would get much attention

I would of said someone like Barton would of been good.  Box to box and would of hopefully got others to up their game if only in fear of a good twatting if they didnt off him.

I suspect there would have been a lot more going on behind the scenes if Barton had spent the season in our dressing room. Devite would have had his eyes burned out. Davies knocked into next week.
You say that like it would of/have been a bad thing

Boggersbelief wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:

I would of have said someone like Barton would of have been good.  Box to box and would of have hopefully got others to up their game if only in fear of a good twatting if they didnt off him.
That's better.
Fuck me.  Nothing better to do?

You edit other people's comments everyday.....
For grammar no.  For laughs yes.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Instead of a player (and if the rules allow) I would rather go for a manager - Sean Dyche.

Despite how crap we've played the whole season through, we still have many players that have played in the past at much higher level than at the bottom of the Championship.

I reckon Dyche would have got more out of a team that includes Amos, Vela, Moxey, Wheater, Derik, Danns, Feeney, Mark Davies, Clough, Spearing (even if for only half a season) and Heskey plus youngsters like Holding and Woolery, whilst at the same time not losing players respect by shagging his bit on the side at the team hotel the night before every match.

He certainly wouldn't eat shit like Lennon had to do from Mardine, nor continually picking the inept Dervite all the time.

I reckon a decent manager like Dyche would have kept that squad up and given them a bit of self-respect which is clearly lacking as evidenced in the behaviour of players tweeting pictures of themselves on the lash or unprofessionally giving the finger to someone whilst on club duty, etc, etc.

You only have to look at the minor miracle Warnock has achieved at Rotherham (iirc they were below us when he took over - they certainly were below us when we beat them around that time anyway) to see what a good manager can do at this level.

Could you see Dyche or Warnock doing absolutely nothing when being called a "stupid prick" by the likes of Madine - I certainly don't - and if egos like his were sorted out one way or another I don't believe (even with the financial problems we had/have) we would have got relegated.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:Instead of a player (and if the rules allow) I would rather go for a manager - Sean Dyche.

Despite how crap we've played the whole season through, we still have many players that have played in the past at much higher level than at the bottom of the Championship.

I reckon Dyche would have got more out of a team that includes Amos, Vela, Moxey, Wheater, Derik, Danns, Feeney, Mark Davies, Clough, Spearing (even if for only half a season) and Heskey plus youngsters like Holding and Woolery, whilst at the same time not losing players respect by shagging his bit on the side at the team hotel the night before the match.

He certainly wouldn't eat shit like Lennon had to do from Mardine, nor continually picking the inept Dervite all the time.

I reckon a decent manager like Dyche would have kept that squad up and given them a bit of self-respect which is clearly lacking as evidenced in the behaviour of players tweeting pictures of themselves on the lash or unprofessionally giving the finger to someone whilst on club duty, etc, etc.

You only have to look at the minor miracle Warnock has achieved at Rotherham (iirc they were below us when he took over - they certainly were below us when we beat them around that time anyway) to see what a good manager can do at this level.

Could you see Dyche or Warnock doing absolutely nothing when being called a "stupid prick" by the likes of Madine - I certainly don't - and if egos like his were sorted out one way or another I don't believe (even with the financial problems we had/have) we would have got relegated.

I'd take Dyche tomorrow and agree that he would have achieved a great deal more with our squad than Lennon did this season. I don't know if he could have kept us up but who knows. Rotherham in 21st place are a full 20 points above us and haven't lost in their last 8 games (incredible turnaround under Warnock).

Let's hope that Holdsworth and co can identify and afford the right man to put in charge.

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Sluffy wrote:Instead of a player (and if the rules allow) I would rather go for a manager - Sean Dyche.

I reckon Dyche would have got more out of a team that includes Amos, Vela, Moxey, Wheater, Derik, Danns, Feeney, Mark Davies, Clough, Spearing (even if for only half a season) and Heskey plus youngsters like Holding and Woolery, whilst at the same time not losing players respect by shagging his bit on the side at the team hotel the night before every match.

Given the position that Lennon was in, I'm not sure Warnock or Dyche would have done much different. Chairman gravely ill / passed away no contact from ED, having to make club decisions by himself. Lennon hardly could put strong discipline rules down and needed the squad with him.

Warnock and Dyche must be thanking their lucky starts that they didn't have to deal with such an appalling situation. Lennon had more to deal with than just Madines abuse and it's easy to understand why Lennon found it difficult as he couldn't 'not' play Madine as he had no other striker for long periods - in fact we don't have one now.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:
I reckon Dyche would have got more out of a team that includes Amos, Vela, Moxey, Wheater, Derik, Danns, Feeney, Mark Davies, Clough, Spearing (even if for only half a season) and Heskey plus youngsters like Holding and Woolery, 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't know why sluffy and certain other posters keep blaming Lennon. In fact the last season has even made me re-evaluate Dougie Freedman a little. Managers here have had their backs to the wall in one way or another since Megson left having spent more money than any BWFC manager in history and failing to get the best out of even one of the players he signed. Since 2009/10 we've effectively been sucking hind tit when it comes to signing or keeping players and had Owen Coyle had even a fraction more luck we would have stayed up in the Prem but we didn't and that only compounded a problem that many of us could already see. 

Freedman's big mistake was of course the Blackpool match. After that the writing was getting ever more visible on the wall and he became utterly dependent on loanees to get us away from the drop zone not once but TWICE. Lennon didn't even have that straw to grasp at this season. He was stuck with jerks like Madine who earn big and perform microscopic while blaming the rest of the universe for their problems while the club fell apart around his ears. 

How many of us would really have stuck it out when told "No you may NOT sign a man who's offering to play for free" because the mismanagement at higher levels had become so atrocious we were (and remain) under THE strictest transfer embargo ever issued against a British club? While the very existence of the club itself hung by a thread through one court hearing after another as the old owner pissed about, a non-existent ST acting on the orders of Birch attempted to become 'preferred bidders' and the (now) new owner had to borrow against what few assets the club still had just to buy us and pay off the taxman? 

It wasn't one player we needed and it still isn't. What's needed is a complete clear out from top to bottom and someone with real money to come in, clear the financial slate and rebuild the entire infrstructure of the club. Will that happen? Incredibly unlikely in my view. Will we survive anyway? Yes but it will be a long time, years before we're actually a steady ship ready to sail forward and there'll be plenty more on and off field pain before that happens. 

However on a positive note. I like many other older posters have been here before. We've seen the club in an even worse position with far less assets and much smaller attendances turn away from oblivion and climb back up. It happened then and I'm quietly convinced it will happen again but we as fans will have to be patient because it's not going to be next year, more likely we won't be talking seriously about the Premier League for at least a decade.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lennon brought over 20 players to the club. They were all shit.

If he'd brought just two good players to the club we probably wouldn't have been relegated. Relegation is definitely down to Lennon and his shit players.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Lennon brought over 20 players to the club. They were all shit.

If he'd brought just two good players to the club we probably wouldn't have been relegated. Relegation is definitely down to Lennon and his shit players.
I don't disagree that some of his signings were crap Nat. I simply believe he wasn't in a position to sign the players he actually wanted. Remember that kid who wound up at Wolves? He was told go ahead and get him on loan and when he did was told 'No you can't have him 'cos we can't afford it'. 

Lennon was hamstrung by having to sign players no one else wanted and frankly since his departure they've performed even worse which would suggest he was getting more out of them than even we realised. 

I've already gone through my 'negative' phase and fury at what's happening to our beloved club. What I'm trying to do now is take a clear eyed, dispassionate look at why we are where we are and what comes next. 

There are reasons to be hopeful but they are long term reasons, especially given how unlikely I think the Anderson scenario of being able to offload the high earners who are still under contract for next season is. I know he wants to and I agree the club needs to but think they won't voluntarily leave because they know they won't get anything like the money they're on now elsewhere. If they gave a damn about the club or had an ounce of professional pride between them they would have worked much harder to at least try to earn the money they're on but they clearly don't. 

I think a few years from now people are going to look back and wonder why a man like Lennon ever agreed to take this crappy job in the first place and conclude that Phil Gartside was a brilliant liar to convince Neil to come in. 

I won't say I think Sport Shield are definitely going to screw it up even worse because (so far at least) Ken Anderson does seem to have his head screwed on right but I don't know how he can honestly expect to accomplish the things he seems to think he will this summer. We're still under embargo as you know so as things stand even if he got rid of every one of those high earners we would not be allowed to sign any replacements, not even on a free or a loan. That needs to be sorted pronto if we're to be in any way shape or form competitive in this summer's window.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yesterday it was obvious the difference a quality striker could make. On another day, we could do with quality in midfield, decent defenders and a new goalie. 
A good player would make a difference but also highlight our weaknesses elsewhere.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:Yesterday it was obvious the difference a quality striker could make. On another day, we could do with quality in midfield, decent defenders and a new goalie. 
A good player would make a difference but also highlight our weaknesses elsewhere.
The truth still has not come out.  If ED had bought ALF for the million or so, we would have squeaked by as we did the previous seasons with Dawson and Juke and Mason.  The potential loss of revenue from dropping one league far surpasses the cost of one striker.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

observer wrote:If ED had bought ALF for the million or so, we would have squeaked by as we did the previous seasons with Dawson and Juke and Mason.  The potential loss of revenue from dropping one league far surpasses the cost of one striker.

Silly post. ALF scored just 3 goals all season in a much better team (Wolves).

How much difference would 3 goals have made, even in the unlikely event they were all winners? We'd still be going down.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
observer wrote:If ED had bought ALF for the million or so, we would have squeaked by as we did the previous seasons with Dawson and Juke and Mason.  The potential loss of revenue from dropping one league far surpasses the cost of one striker.

Silly post. ALF scored just 3 goals all season in a much better team (Wolves).

How much difference would 3 goals have made, even in the unlikely event they were all winners? We'd still be going down.
Glad you are prescient of how many goals he would have scored for us.  In fact he scored with basically the same team, in half the games he played with us.  And as you are so acutely aware, it did not have to be ALF... but any decent striker.  We were down in the tables until we had Dawson, Juke and ALF... and each performed well enough to keep us up.  Without that quality striker (which was the point of the post) we had little chance of surviving.

The Wolves also have midfielders scoring aplenty... 21 goals so far.  ALF has only played in 24 games this season for them as well.  Having better players certainly would take his total down... not the way it might have been if he played for us.  His scoring ratio of almost 50% for us was achieved with poor players around him.  I firmly believe he or another strong finisher might have helped us squeak through the season without relegation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum