Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

David Wheater gives up £10k pay to play in Bolton Wanderers run-in

+3
wanderlust
Norpig
karlypants
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

David Wheater has taken a pay cut to try and stay in Jimmy Phillips’ plans for the remainder of the season.

The Bolton News understands the big defender has passed up more than £10,000 in appearance fees due to him for the final four Championship games.

Wanderers have looked to make savings in the last couple of months, which have included the decision to side-line midfielder Jay Spearing because of a £100,000 bonus owed to his former club Liverpool.

Wheater is out of contract in the summer but the former Middlesbrough man – Wanderers’ second longest-serving professional – is desperate to bow out at the Macron in the right way.

The centre-half was fined in controversial circumstances earlier in the month when he and Liam Trotter were caught making a rude gesture to the club cameras, which were transmitting – unbeknown to the players –live on Twitter.

Wheater later apologised to supporters and has now followed it up with a generous offer to waive the remaining bonuses before his deal expires.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that former Republic of Ireland international turned TV pundit Andy Townsend has been hired by the club as a consultant and is playing a key role in recruitment at Wanderers.

The former Chelsea midfielder has acted on the club’s behalf for the last couple of months in helping to organise the new board of directors and sifting through potential managerial candidates.

Reports linked Townsend with a director of football role at Aston Villa earlier this month.

Co-owner Ken Anderson had hoped to reveal who would sit on the board last week but it is believed the delay has been caused by the individuals involved serving a longer notice period than expected at their current clubs.

The manager hunt continues and eagle-eyed supporters may have spotted two familiar faces in the directors’ box over the last two games.

Uwe Rosler, the former Brentford and Wigan Athletic manager, attended the Charlton game on Tuesday night while ex-Blackburn Rovers boss Gary Bowyer watched Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to Middlesbrough.

After top choice Chris Wilder indicated he did not want to be considered for the job, Wanderers are examining all their options.

Pairing Peter Reid with a younger coach – potentially Kevin Nolan – remains one of the favoured options.

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

nice gesture i suppose but this is what is wrong with football, appearance fees and other bonus fees, they get well paid to start with for God's sake

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just to provide some context, Wheater earns £17k a week so as generous as this offer is, it still only equates to 4 days wages.

How much Andy Townsend is being paid I don't know but I imagine it's more than the club are saving on Wheater. Article mentions that he'll help with recruitment but not convinced he's the right knowledge of the market we'll be looking at other than a few Villa rejects.

"Pairing Peter Reid with a younger coach – potentially Kevin Nolan – remains one of the favoured options."

Favoured by who exactly?

Not me...

to be fair, wheater could of still took the money, still played too, and still put himself in the shop window.  Can we not just accept when someone does something decent.  yes it's been a shit season, and yes he hasn't had the best of seasons either, but he didn't have to give up that money but he did.

As for townsend, it sounds like jobs for the lads a bit at the moment.  fingers crossed it proves fruitful and he unearths a gem willing to play for a tenner a week and a cuddle off Nat, but i doubt it!

y2johnny wrote:to be fair, wheater could of still took the money, still played too, and still put himself in the shop window.  Can we not just accept when someone does something decent.  

It smacks of tokenism to me I'm afraid.

He's already a millionaire and he'll still be picking up close to 70 grand in wages between now and the end of the season, so very publicly opting to turn down a 10k bonus for getting relegated seems like a very cheap way of trying to win back some kudos in the eyes of the fans.

but if he is going at the end of the season why does he care what the fans think.  if he hadn't turned it down we'd be non the wiser anyway.

y2johnny wrote:but if he is going at the end of the season why does he care what the fans think.  if he hadn't turned it down we'd be non the wiser anyway.

Because it's good PR.

He can either be remembered as just another member of possibly the worst team in the club's history or he can distance himself from it in the minds of the supporters by pulling this cheap stunt.

In years to come when Bolton fans look back on this shower of shit, as they discuss where it all went wrong over a pint, some bloke will say "At least Wheater turned his bonus down" and that's what will stick in the memory.

I bet he wouldn't be so self-effacing or charitable if it was a million quid.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

Because it's good PR.

He can either be remembered as just another member of possibly the worst team in the club's history or he can distance himself from it in the minds of the supporters by pulling this cheap stunt.

In years to come when Bolton fans look back on this shower of shit, as they discuss where it all went wrong over a pint, some bloke will say "At least Wheater turned his bonus down" and that's what will stick in the memory.

I bet he wouldn't be so self-effacing or charitable if it was a million quid.

I definitely think Hipster's title is in jeopardy.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:"Pairing Peter Reid with a younger coach – potentially Kevin Nolan – remains one of the favoured options."

Favoured by who exactly?

Not me...

I think it's more of a fall back position when nobody better qualified comes forward. That said, whilst it's obvious Reidy wants the gig, it's not nailed on that Nobby would want it.

possibly not, and you are quite right, but like i said he didn't have to do it and we wouldn't of known.

Bring back Danny Shittu!

y2johnny wrote:possibly not, and you are quite right, but like i said he didn't have to do it and we wouldn't of known.

That's my point though.

He could have quietly turned it down but instead he's gone public and effectively bought himself some cheap PR.

It's not like he'll miss this ten grand, is it?

Breadman wrote:
y2johnny wrote:possibly not, and you are quite right, but like i said he didn't have to do it and we wouldn't of known.

That's my point though.

He could have quietly turned it down but instead he's gone public and effectively bought himself some cheap PR.

can't believe you deleted the most important part of that post, i'm a little bit upset Very Happy

and yes i agree!

I was penalising you for using "of" when you meant "have".  Very Happy

Breadman wrote:I was penalising you for using "of" when you meant "have".  Very Happy
oh piss off!!!!! Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

How do you know he's not about to default on his mortgage or owes a bookie millions?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
Breadman wrote:I was penalising you for using "of" when you meant "have".  Very Happy
About time you started posting again! Very Happy

karlypants wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
haha, just been absolutely snowed under.  work is getting too busy (i shouldn't complain!) and getting quite a bit of work done on the house too!  With that and all the kids clubs etc i'm meeting my self coming backwards.

Very Happy

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
karlypants wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
haha, just been absolutely snowed under.  work is getting too busy (i shouldn't complain!) and getting quite a bit of work done on the house too!  With that and all the kids clubs etc i'm meeting my self coming backwards.

Very Happy
DIY you mean? Is it the kitchen you have started on?

Glad to hear that business is good mate! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum