Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Delay to transfer embargo lift as Bolton eye Millwall defender

+2
Boggersbelief
karlypants
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers fans may have to wait a little longer for the club’s transfer embargo to be lifted.

The Bolton News understands Football League officials have rescheduled their meeting with Ken Anderson and it will now take place on June 27, just three days before the summer window opens.

Doubts had already been voiced that paperwork would be cleared in time for Phil Parkinson to begin making signings on July 1 but the extra week’s delay – which has been caused by chief executive Shaun Harvey’s unavailability – now makes that eventuality even less likely.

Reports that Arsenal have had a £1.5million bid accepted for Rob Holding have also been played down by Wanderers.

The home-grown defender is on holiday for another week and remains the subject of heavy interest from the Gunners.

But the club maintain only one written bid has been received, which improved in value from £750,000 to £1.2million up front as a result of his appearances for the England Under-21s at the Toulon Tournament.

The Whites are looking for a bonus-heavy deal with further payments based on future international, Premier League and Champions League appearances plus a sell-on clause.

Wanderers also have requested that Holding is loaned back to the Macron Stadium next season but are yet to hear if their request has been granted. That condition would also hinge on whether the embargo is lifted in good time.

One possible replacement for Holding is already being eyed up by the Whites in 26-year-old Millwall man Mark Beevers.

The former Sheffield Wednesday centre-half is out of contract on June 30 and had been strongly linked with a move to Barnsley.

Wanderers are believed to have sounded out Beevers’ representatives but have not yet spoken to the player, who is currently away on holiday.

Millwall boss Neil Harris says the 6ft 4ins defender finished last season in good form at The Den.

“He's had a really good season, he played his best football at the football club by far in the last 12 months,” he said.

“With his contract expiring he got himself in the shop window, he is a good lad.”

Former England Under-19 international Beevers made 150 appearances for the Lions in three years, scoring eight goals including one against Barnsley in the League One play-off final.

Source

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why's there a delay with everything we fucking do

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Because we are a joke of a club Boggers.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was the BN that announced the timeframe and it was the BN that announced the delay so it begs the question whether or not it was ever going to happen in that timeframe in the first place.
To me, it seems more likely that the BN put two and two together, got five yet announced their speculation as fact instead of waiting until something happens and then reporting it.

Apply that principle to every bit of club/player/manager "news" they publish and you'll never be disappointed again.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Parkinson confirmed that KA had a meeting "in the coming week". That was two weeks ago

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Parkinson confirmed that KA had a meeting "in the coming week". That was two weeks ago

Did you read that in the BN Boggers?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No, heard Phil Parkinson say it.

Boggersbelief wrote:Parkinson confirmed that KA had a meeting "in the coming week". That was two weeks ago

Parky's only had the job for ten days.

It appears we've got a psychic manager.

And that's gotta be useful in League 1 ..... Very Happy

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:It was the BN that announced the timeframe and it was the BN that announced the delay so it begs the question whether or not it was ever going to happen in that timeframe in the first place.
To me, it seems more likely that the BN put two and two together, got five yet announced their speculation as fact instead of waiting until something happens and then reporting it.

Apply that principle to every bit of club/player/manager "news" they publish and you'll never be disappointed again.

More than likely correct Wander....

Also it's amazing the amount of things over the years whereby things are held up because blokes are on their holidays. For example I'll close down my company today because my boss is in Benidorm for two weeks.  Just saying.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The thing is, if the winding up order is lifted, that's news and should be reported.

On the other hand, if a bloke says he reckons the winding up order might be lifted in a week or so, then that's speculation/guesswork and shouldn't be reported.

But because the BN publish every bit of speculation as if it were fact, then it's understandable that  people get confused and frustrated.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:The thing is, if the winding up order is lifted, that's news and should be reported.

On the other hand, if a bloke says he reckons the winding up order might be lifted in a week or so, then that's speculation/guesswork and shouldn't be reported.

But because the BN publish every bit of speculation as if it were fact, then it's understandable that  people get confused and frustrated.

It's not just some bloke who said it. The manager of Bolton Wanderers has said it. The Bolton news has every right to take his word as gospel.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
wanderlust wrote:The thing is, if the winding up order is lifted, that's news and should be reported.

It's not just some bloke who said it. The manager of Bolton Wanderers has said it. The Bolton news has every right to take his word as gospel.

But Parkinson NEVER said that the transfer embargo would be lifted by now. 

He was quoted as saying: "Lifting the embargo was the key part of my conversation and that is going to be dealt with – Ken (Anderson) has got a meeting in THE NEXT WEEK OR SO and HE'S CONFIDENT that we will move forward and get some players in." 

The meeting might have been scheduled for whenever (it's not specific) and he might be confident that some progress will be made at some point in time - but that's all that was said i.e. no timeframe and no promises.

Meanwhile, Ken Anderson was reported elsewhere by the same paper as saying he "HOPES the transfer embargo will be lifted by the start of the pre-season".

All in all, there's nothing to report and the BN should just write about something else until something actually happens.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I suspect Iles or someone at the BN was "told" the meeting was this week by someone within the club fairly close to Ken. This is at least the fourth time Marc has published something from "sources" that hasn't panned out. I appreciate the difficulties he faces in that occasionally people will tell him something is going to happen and then change their minds but in this instance I think he's listening to someone who thinks they're ITK but isn't. I think what Iles, Nixon and the BN need to do is recruit some new sources, preferably ones that can independently confirm things.

It looks to me as if his "network" within the club is very fragile which might also explain why he's given so much time and attention to the ST steering group.

Peter and Marc,
Sitting in a tree,
K,I,S,S....I,N,G........

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:Peter and Marc,
Sitting in a tree,
K,I,S,S....I,N,G........
No Bread, he's wrong and he's made himself look a bit of a plank and not for the first time. I just think he's got to get his head around the fact his "sources" aren't as good as he seems to believe (or perhaps wants to believe) but with that said I think he's also under pressure from the BN and its readership. It's always a slowish time for football news at this time of year but he still has to put something out there.

I just wish for his sake and ours that he would simply say something along the lines of "The club is being very quiet about things but some people in it are suggesting .... etc" rather than taking what is effectively a rumour and presenting it as fact.

Marc really screwed the pooch on his Twitter account the day before Phil was appointed when he said he was certain it was Adkins or Evans who'd get the job and told his followers to stop mithering him.

Now that the manager question has been settled there's nothing but the embargo to really discuss and with the transfer window opening in ten days it's now getting to be a matter of serious concern to more than just the few of us who've been bringing it up for more than six weeks now.

Iles has column inches to fill but seems to lack anything concrete to fill them with. I just think he's in a bit of a tough position right now, damned no matter what he says but he could certainly do more to help himself by delineating what is established fact and what is speculation far more clearly than he does now.

Don't  understand why everyone is getting worked up over this. Parkinson said when he took over there would be a meeting in the next week or so. Now that meeting has been postponed till next week.

If the Bolton news hadn't  reported the meeting had been postponed people would be complaining about nothing happening.

Seems they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

I'm not going round in circles debating this again.

He allowed himself to be intimidated by Gartside and became little more than an extension of the cub's PR machine, as PG & ED pissed all the money away and nearly broke the club.

Never once did he ask any serious questions of those two but he did seem happy enough to allow them both to air their (frankly odd) spin on things when it suited them to do so.

Now that they're gone, whatever sources he may have within the new club set-up are either clueless or deliberately feeding him bullshit.

Either way, he's a dickhead for keep falling for it and continually reprinting half-stories based on spurious bollocks.

Not too long ago you were quite scathing in your comments regarding the Lion of Vienna Suite for (in your opinion) doing just that but it appears that your new best friend "Marc" gets a free pass.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:I'm not going round in circles debating this again.

He allowed himself to be intimidated by Gartside and became little more than an extension of the cub's PR machine, as PG & ED pissed all the money away and nearly broke the club.

Never once did he ask any serious questions of those two but he did seem happy enough to allow them both to air their (frankly odd) spin on things when it suited them to do so.

Now that they're gone, whatever sources he may have within the new club set-up are either clueless or deliberately feeding him bullshit.

Either way, he's a dickhead for keep falling for it and continually reprinting half-stories based on spurious bollocks.

Not too long ago you were quite scathing in your comments regarding the Lion of Vienna Suite for (in your opinion) doing just that but it appears that your new best friend "Marc" gets a free pass.
Where did I give him a free pass? Did I say he's wrong? Yes. Did I say he's made himself look like a plank? yes. Did I say he should be forgiven? no.

I think you misunderstand the fact that I can understand WHY he's screwed up for me claiming he hasn't.

Frankly I'm rather astonished that he and Nixon are still taken seriously by anybody but it's obvious (to me at least) that the BN is satisfied with his output for the moment at least. But please don't mistake that for ME being satisfied in any way shape or form. I'm simply trying to be as polite as possible and to present as close to a balanced viewpoint as the circumstances allow.

In my humble opinion the real situation is this: Marc is either being misled by someone in the club and should by now be completely sceptical of anything coming from his "sources" as a result. If he isn't then frankly he doesn't deserve to call himself a journalist.

OR he already is sceptical hence the constant caveats such as "The BN understands..." or "According to sources within the club ..." and continues to publish these snippets using the maxim they've got to be right at least one time if only due to blind luck. What he really SHOULD do and urgently is state honestly that he's not ITK and doesn't know if anyone at the BN will be again any time soon. He should add that he's still getting contradictory information from different parts of the club and that he's finding it almost impossible to sort the wheat from the chaff. That would earn him more respect from me at least.

Finally, I believe that Ken and Dean may not know themselves what's going on from one day to the next. For instance the "meeting" was reported as "pencilled in" not definitely set and Parkinson said "in the next week or so" not on a specific date. Marc and the BN would do better to listen to what's actually been said and report that without the embellishments from highly questionable sources.

Peter,

No offence but last week you were penning soppy eulogies to the man and thanking him for "allowing you to walk a mile in his shoes."

But now you're calling him a plank.

So your message is, at best, confused and, at worst, utter shite.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:Peter,

No offence but last week you were penning soppy eulogies to the man and thanking him for "allowing you to walk a mile in his shoes."

But now you're calling him a plank.

So your message is, at best, confused and, at worst, utter shite.
If you'd read my post properly you'd have seen I said I understood some of the problems he faces and that I can see where some of his errors have come from. I did not then or ever issue a blanket pardon for stupidity. I will defend him or anyone else when I think they're right but I'll also pull them if I think they're wrong without a good reason.

In the case of the new manager for instance Marc's snarky posts about not being mithered and that he knew it was either Adkins or Evans was just plain stupid. His consistent statement that he's reliant on sources is an acceptable defence for a while but I think even his biggest supporters would say it's wearing very thin at least.

What I want him to do is stop trying to hedge his bets and start saying "Look, I don't KNOW what's going on but here's what people within the club are telling me."

I would have a lot more respect for him that way but in his defence I think constantly pulling him down when he's doing his best without knowing what he's up against is just wrong. Give the man a little credit, he never did say the meeting was on x date, only that he believed it to be this week. I think he would have been better today saying "My sources told me the meeting was pencilled in for this week but the man who can say yes or no to lifting the embargo is actually on leave right now and won't be back till next Monday."

What he needs to do better, much better and right now is clearly state what he knows is a fact, what he believes is true (that he can't yet prove) and what is speculation. He really isn't good enough at that and that leaves him open to looking like and being called a plank even by someone like myself who respects him and understands some of the problems he's faced and is still facing. At least he's had both the courage and good manners to actually respond personally to criticism he's faced not just from me but others. A lot of people in his business would at best have a staff member send some formulaic "We received your message and value your input" garbage or just ignored it completely.

So yes, I like and respect Marc Iles but that doesn't mean I'll slavishly fawn over him no matter what he does because I don't operate that way.

You and the others here on Nuts should know that much about me by now at the very least. There are times when I agree with every single poster on here regardless of who they are and times when I disagree with people who I normally back. I call things as I see them and don't take the name or previous reputation of the person posting into account.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum