Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DIY and shit

+8
scottjames30
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
whatsgoingon
Soul Kitchen
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1DIY and shit Empty DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 20:34

So at the minute we are pretty much gutting the house from top to bottom.

I had an electrician in today.  We had two plug sockets attached to skirting boards that needed lifting and embedding int he wall.  One which was knackered so needed replacing and one new on as there was only one in the small bedroom.  Plus when he was doing one of them apparently the earth wire had a fault and the wore needed to be replaced.  In total the bill came to 330 quid.  Does anyone know if this is reasonable as im absolutely shite with things like this.

He has also quoted 50 quid to change a light fitting as long as itbis a straight swap and no issues.

Ill be glad when its all done!!!!

2DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 20:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:So at the minute we are pretty much gutting the house from top to bottom.

I had an electrician in today.  We had two plug sockets attached to skirting boards that needed lifting and embedding int he wall.  One which was knackered so needed replacing and one new on as there was only one in the small bedroom.  Plus when he was doing one of them apparently the earth wire had a fault and the wore needed to be replaced.  In total the bill came to 330 quid.  Does anyone know if this is reasonable as im absolutely shite with things like this.

He has also quoted 50 quid to change a light fitting as long as itbis a straight swap and no issues.

My sister just had a full re-wire of a 4 bedroom 1930's semi for £1700.

£330 sounds a lot of cash for not a lot of work.

3DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 20:47

Natasha Whittam wrote:
y2johnny wrote:So at the minute we are pretty much gutting the house from top to bottom.

My sister just had a full re-wire of a 4 bedroom 1930's semi for £1700.

£330 sounds a lot of cash for not a lot of work.
It does sound a lot but he was here 5 hours.  My problem is i just dont know how much these things are supposed to cost.  The main thing that needed doing was the roof and luckily we knew a roofer so that was ok.  Now the main thing is plastering and we have found a good one as he has done one room already.  (Only another 6 to go!) But it is just all the little bits that add up, having radiators took off etc.

Im doing all the prep work work like taking down the horrible false ceilings that were in and stripping the woodchip (did i mention i fooking hate woodchip) of every wall and doing countless tip runs.

The missus does the decorating and i get the best job of the lot.............putting up the furniture  Evil or Very Mad ::seething:: ::mad:: ::seething2::

4DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 20:52

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Seems a lot, £50 to change a light fitting! Which is just a straight swap, is this not something you can do?

5DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 20:57

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It all depends on how long it took him to find the fault to be honest.

I think 50 quid to replace a light fitting on a like for like basis is quite a lot.

I would have done these things myself to save money although I feel you may not have the confidence or knowledge to do it yourself.

What you could do with the light fitting is inspect how the wiring is connected and then go and have a look at the stuff in B&Q and wire it up the same.

You have a useful camera on that phone.

You can get a consumer unit replaced for around that price you have paid today and a full house rewire is roughly a grand to give you an idea mate. Smile

6DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 21:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
I would have done these things myself to save money although I feel you may not have the confidence or knowledge to do it yourself.

He thinks he's better than you Johnny.

7DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 21:11

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:

He thinks he's better than you Johnny.
Stop twisting what I say! Wink

8DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 21:11

He probably is. I wouldn't trust my self to do it.  Not since i was nailing down a floor board and went through a gas pipe.

9DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 21:14

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:He probably is. I wouldn't trust my self to do it.  Not since i was nailing down a floor board and went through a gas pipe.
I hope you got National Grid out to fix it for free! Smile

10DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 21:30

Of course. Got a few squeeky pipes at the minute. Might do it again Smile

11DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 06 2016, 21:44

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very Happy

12DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 07:35

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

y2johnny wrote:He probably is. I wouldn't trust my self to do it.  Not since i was nailing down a floor board and went through a gas pipe.
That's easy done. I've known plumbers do that!

13DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 08:08

Soul Kitchen wrote:
Very Happy

Today im only in stoke.  Here now waiting for the guys to turn up.  Should be home for tenish and will be back on to stripping wallpaper and hopefully taking down a false wooden wall. 

I love demolishing stuff! Smile

14DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 10:08

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

y2johnny wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:
Very Happy

Today im only in stoke.  Here now waiting for the guys to turn up.  Should be home for tenish and will be back on to stripping wallpaper and hopefully taking down a false wooden wall. 

I remember years ago stripping woodchip off the walls at my parents house, it hadn't been touched in years only to paint over it and by the time we came to strip it off it had about 10 layers of paint on it and was an absolute nightmare, so good luck with that one!

15DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 10:13

Woodchip is the worst thing ever to get off. Did 2 rooms once and it took bloody ages.

16DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 10:16

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm going to have to do some work at my mums soon and she has this shite on her ceiling in one of the bedroom.

I'm going to overboard the ceiling with plasterboard and have it skimmed.

She can think again if I am spending an eternity trying to get that off the ceiling.

17DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 11:09

You have to score it with a pair of scissors/knife in little diamond shapes and then wet it, then use a steamer, it is awful stuff.

18DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 11:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Or napalm.

19DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 12:29

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

whatsgoingon wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:
Very Happy

I remember years ago stripping woodchip off the walls at my parents house, it hadn't been touched in years only to paint over it and by the time we came to strip it off it had about 10 layers of paint on it and was an absolute nightmare, so good luck with that one!
I had the same in mine and my first wife's first house. What made it even worse was the colours they'd painted the living room. Two walls were burnt orange, one was scarlet, one was lemon yellow and the ceiling (also woodchip) was purple. The rest of the house was equally bad, like the previous tenant had used free testers from DIY shops in whatever colour they could get. Even with a steamer and three of us working 12 hour days on stripping that stuff it took us the better part of a week to completely strip a fairly small two bedroom house. There were a stupid number of layers of paint especially in the hallway and stairwell. By the time it was all done I was ready to kill anyone who even hinted that "woodchip's tough and easy to clean if you paint it with Silk Emulsion (my then mother in law carped on in those words for weeks). I have never even looked at woodchip without feeling a burning hate deep in my soul ever since.

20DIY and shit Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 12:35

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:
Very Happy

I had the same in mine and my first wife's first house. What made it even worse was the colours they'd painted the living room. Two walls were burnt orange, one was scarlet, one was lemon yellow and the ceiling (also woodchip) was purple. The rest of the house was equally bad, like the previous tenant had used free testers from DIY shops in whatever colour they could get. Even with a steamer and three of us working 12 hour days on stripping that stuff it took us the better part of a week to completely strip a fairly small two bedroom house. There were a stupid number of layers of paint especially in the hallway and stairwell. By the time it was all done I was ready to kill anyone who even hinted that "woodchip's tough and easy to clean if you paint it with Silk Emulsion (my then mother in law carped on in those words for weeks). I have never even looked at woodchip without feeling a burning hate deep in my soul ever since.
Had to laugh we had exactly the same experience, but how can you hold a grudge against something immortalised by the great Jarvis Cocker

"you're house was very small
with woodchip on the walls
but when I came round to call,
you didn't notice me at all"

so I think we should start a bring back woodchip campaign, with a strapline of "fuck you anaglypta"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum