Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Election - 8th June.

+22
rammywhite
gloswhite
Fabians Right Peg
wessy
karlypants
finlaymcdanger
Bwfc1958
boltonbonce
Cajunboy
Hipster_Nebula
RustyNail
Soul Kitchen
okocha
Bollotom2014
wanderlust
NickFazer
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
Norpig
Bread2.0
Chairmanda
Sluffy
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 26  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 26]

261General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Fri May 19 2017, 11:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Question Time last night showed that the mood of the country is changing and the Tories' comfortable lead may soon shrink enough to worry them. Can we really vote for the nasty party?
I think it shows that the mood of the Question Time audience is changing but they are hardly representative of the voting public given that 4 times as many viewers watch Britain's Got Talent than QT.
As I argued elsewhere, policies and performance are no longer under the same scrutiny as they used to be (apart from Labour's) and just as the EU referendum was dumbed down to a simple yes or no, so the voting behaviour of the majority will come down to their prejudices when push comes to shove.
Middle class politically aware people may well vote on policies and performance - they always have - but of much greater interest will be the turnout of the 3 million historically apolitical voters who appeared out of the woodwork to push Brexit through. If they side with the Tories in the belief that the election is about Brexit the Tories will win by an even greater than expected margin, however I suspect a lot of them won't bother to vote again. Ever.

262General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Fri May 19 2017, 14:30

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:It will be interesting to see how long it takes for pensioners to wake up to the fact ......

XM, why do you insist on some sections of the public being stupid, or a bit slow, just because you have set political views and ideals ?

I'm a pensioner, as are some others on here, and I realised straightaway what the implications were, and I'm certain that the vast majority of us know what is to come. As for the fuel payment, I receive it, and have no problem losing it. I just hope the means that, when its introduced, it doesn't penalise the real needy.
I really don't like the fact that if I or my wife fall ill, we'll have have only 100,000 to leave them, and will watch our home taken off us. At the moment its valued at £350K, and I have no doubt, as someone mentioned earlier, the high prices of care will remain, or even go higher.

What I am surprised at, is that people haven't yet realised that it not only going to affect the old, but also the upcoming generations. Whats the point of striving for your own home, etc, when its nothing more than a way to finance a system that has been allowed to fall into disarray. It not only depresses the older generation, but also takes away the aspirations of many of the younger ones.

I can see why my statement could be taken as patronising but that is not what I intended (and I am a pensioner myself). What I meant was that it would be interesting to see if Tory support amongst pensioners started to drop once the implications of these measures sunk in.

You also make a very good point about the effect on future generations of this confiscatory policy.
I think it will affect some, (my wife is leaping up and down), but as someone on the TV said last night, for those people, there's no real alternative. I think, as Wander states, that some will not bother to vote, and not just the new Brexit voters, but some of those who were wavering. 
The Tories will get in, (helped by my vote), but I would like to see their lead, from the expected landslide, reduced enough to make them think twice before charging ahead unrestrained. We really do need a good opposition, and at this time, even though I don't believe in his Brexit stand, I think Farron is starting to come through better than Corbyn.

263General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Fri May 19 2017, 14:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:It will be interesting to see how long it takes for pensioners to wake up to the fact ......

XM, why do you insist on some sections of the public being stupid, or a bit slow, just because you have set political views and ideals ?

I'm a pensioner, as are some others on here, and I realised straightaway what the implications were, and I'm certain that the vast majority of us know what is to come. As for the fuel payment, I receive it, and have no problem losing it. I just hope the means that, when its introduced, it doesn't penalise the real needy.
I really don't like the fact that if I or my wife fall ill, we'll have have only 100,000 to leave them, and will watch our home taken off us. At the moment its valued at £350K, and I have no doubt, as someone mentioned earlier, the high prices of care will remain, or even go higher.

What I am surprised at, is that people haven't yet realised that it not only going to affect the old, but also the upcoming generations. Whats the point of striving for your own home, etc, when its nothing more than a way to finance a system that has been allowed to fall into disarray. It not only depresses the older generation, but also takes away the aspirations of many of the younger ones.

I can see why my statement could be taken as patronising but that is not what I intended (and I am a pensioner myself). What I meant was that it would be interesting to see if Tory support amongst pensioners started to drop once the implications of these measures sunk in.

You also make a very good point about the effect on future generations of this confiscatory policy.
I think it will affect some, (my wife is leaping up and down), but as someone on the TV said last night, for those people, there's no real alternative. I think, as Wander states, that some will not bother to vote, and not just the new Brexit voters, but some of those who were wavering. 
The Tories will get in, (helped by my vote), but I would like to see their lead, from the expected landslide, reduced enough to make them think twice before charging ahead unrestrained. We really do need a good opposition, and at this time, even though I don't believe in his Brexit stand, I think Farron is starting to come through better than Corbyn.
On that note it's useful to know that in the last general election in 2015, more eligible voters abstained that actually voted for the winning party. A third of the electorate simply didn't bother. The largest group was the "Don't know/can't be arsed brigade".
There's a lot to be said for the Australian model where voting is a civic duty and abstainers can be prosecuted.

264General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sat May 20 2017, 12:33

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

On that note it's useful to know that in the last general election in 2015, more eligible voters abstained that actually voted for the winning party. A third of the electorate simply didn't bother. The largest group was the "Don't know/can't be arsed brigade".
There's a lot to be said for the Australian model where voting is a civic duty and abstainers can be prosecuted.

Agreed, but consider the point that by making people vote, you are taking away the democratic right of choice. I once heard that in many elections, a lot of people deliberately spoil their papers, which has been known to run into relatively high numbers.

265General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sat May 20 2017, 12:36

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Even if large numbers of people spoil their ballot papers I quite like the idea of making voting compulsory.

266General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 00:26

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

267General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 01:51

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Just got back from Spain and found a letter from Theresa behind the door.

It looks legit and heart-felt and genuine and shit so I might vote for her. Because it's glossy and well produced.

That's how it works here isn't it? You pick the party leader you like the most and then vote accordingly?

Fuck all from Jezza, by the way.....the commie prick.

268General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 12:23

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:Just got back from Spain and found a letter from Theresa behind the door.

It looks legit and heart-felt and genuine and shit so I might vote for her. Because it's glossy and well produced.

That's how it works here isn't it? You pick the party leader you like the most and then vote accordingly?

Fuck all from Jezza, by the way.....the commie prick.
Latest poll shows May's lead has been slashed in half after the Tory manifesto bombs.

269General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 12:34

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Burt it was dead glossy.......

270General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 13:27

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I got a letter from Labour asking me for twenty five quid. Again.

271General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 16:32

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

For obvious reasons I've not had time to come on here much. I have enjoyed my one hustings so far with Jacob Rees Mogg as well as doorknocking, street stalling, literature writing etc etc. My team will wake up on June 9th knowing we did all we could. Since the release of the conservative manifesto the only thing anyone has wanted to talk about on the doorsteps is the social care reforms leaving a max of £100k to be left if you have the temerity to lo live longer with complex care needs...no matter you have paid tax all your life. On the streets, interestingly given everything else, it's all about fox hunting. Won't surprise you that I and JRM are at opposite ends of the spectrum on both these matters. Lyndon crosbie, running the Tory campaign, is a sharp cookie. He will be delighted that at this stage Labour in the polls are catching up with the Tories. Look out for even more Corbyn bashing in next couple of weeks so that those who are tempted to vote labour in marginals will pause, consider that they actually might win, and vote Tory. It's a cunning plan I tells ee.

272General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 17:37

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I got a letter from Labour asking me for twenty five quid. Again.

Be sensible and tell them to sod off

273General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 18:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I got a letter from Labour asking me for twenty five quid. Again.

Be sensible and tell them to sod off
I always do. They added two books of raffle tickets this time. Two quid a pop.

I pay my subs. I'm not giving them any more.

274General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 20:03

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I got three letters through the post yesterday, all from the Lib Dems. They're really going for it this time.

275General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Sun May 21 2017, 20:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I received one from David Crausby.

276General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Mon May 22 2017, 11:39

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I'm so pissed off with the Tories limiting a life's worth of savings of £100k to you, and the rest to them, that I might actually not vote, (first time ever), or even vote UKIP, although I'm hearing 'consultation' more and more, but this makes no difference, as it won't happen until after the election. 
Makes me wonder if that £100k is limited to the individual, or to the property, especially as my house is registered as 'Tenants in Common'.

277General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Mon May 22 2017, 12:16

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:I'm so pissed off with the Tories limiting a life's worth of savings of £100k to you, and the rest to them, that I might actually not vote, (first time ever), or even vote UKIP, although I'm hearing 'consultation' more and more, but this makes no difference, as it won't happen until after the election. 
Makes me wonder if that £100k is limited to the individual, or to the property, especially as my house is registered as 'Tenants in Common'.

Obviously I'm pleased that you are pissed off with the Tories but are you really considering voting UKIP?

Interesting that May claims that nothing has changed whilst backpedalling as fast as she can go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2017-39979839

278General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Mon May 22 2017, 12:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:I'm so pissed off with the Tories limiting a life's worth of savings of £100k to you, and the rest to them, that I might actually not vote, (first time ever), or even vote UKIP, although I'm hearing 'consultation' more and more, but this makes no difference, as it won't happen until after the election. 
If you are legally related to the other "tenants" e.g. it's your partner/missus then I believe they have legal claim. If not, they have legal claim over your share.
It's a seriously messy proposal, badly thought through.

279General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Mon May 22 2017, 12:30

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:
If you are legally related to the other "tenants" e.g. it's your partner/missus then I believe they have legal claim. If not, they have legal claim over your share.
It's a seriously messy proposal, badly thought through.

If you are tenants in common you each own half a share of the property outright and your partner/spouse has no legal entitlement. One consequence is that half a house is worth very little so if your partner is still alive and living in the property I think the government will have no legal claim on the property even after the death of the first partner/spouse. Mind you I wouldn't trust those Tory bastards not to change the law to suit themselves.

280General Election - 8th June. - Page 14 Empty Re: General Election - 8th June. Mon May 22 2017, 12:57

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Now May has changed her social care plans and done a complete u-turn it is clear that the Tories will continue to help the rich and screw the rest of us. Combining the dementia tax with a cap means that those with average homes will lose everything bar the £100k but if you live in a mansion you will still have a large amount to pass on to your family.

For example UK average house price is about £250k so suppose the cap is £300k, every one with a house worth more than that will keep something above the basic £100k and the more the property is worth the more they will keep. Conversely everyone living in a typical house will lose every penny bar the £100k.

So Tory, so predictable!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 26]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum