2 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 16:03

Sluffy

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

3 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 16:07

Leeds_Trotter

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Leeds fans aren't happy with their team sheet. Let's gave em!

4 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 16:15

y2johnny

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Gave em What?

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

5 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 16:17

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Radio Nuts is now live via the following link here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Live video stream here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 16:31

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Come on you Whites!

7 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 17:38

Leeds_Trotter

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
y2johnny wrote:Gave em What?
Should have said have* But think Darby has read this and gave them fucking everything. He is shite, can't be starting the next game!

8 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 19:54

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Absolutey fucking shite!

Fuck off Parkinson, that was fucking embarrassing. I've seen more steel in a fucking girls under 8's team.

I've been telling you all fucking Summer that if you're going to let Spearing go you have to find a suitable (and hopefully better) replacement. He was shite, but at least he got stuck in and had a voice on the pitch.

The midfield of Karacan, Vela and Cullen would have been strengthened with the signing of Rylan Clark-Neal or Elton John for fucks sake. Absolutely embarrassing. No Bolton midfield should ever contain so many tarts.

Vela, for fucks sake, did someone tell you to hit the first defender with every single free kick? His injury at the end could turn out to be a blessing if it forces Parky to sign a proper midfielder. Stig Tofting would be my choice.

Cullen? Are you serious? Clearly signed to play the Mark Davies role i.e. fucking anonymous. Absolutely fucking crap. Why do we keep signing players that are scared of the ball?

Karacan? Kara-fucking-can't. Did he even touch the ball? Played 64 minutes too many.

Oh and the fucking defence! A Darby in defence? All of a sudden it was 1993 again and Julian Darby was picked to mark Stan Collymore. Today was just as bad. Parky, this is what you get for signing League 1 rejects. They have been released for a fucking reason!!

Dervite, please change your name to Dershite. Parky, I told you he would be a fucking disaster at this level, but you gave the fuckwit a new fucking contract!! Fuck off.

Anthony Taylor, you were just about the only player to come out of the game with any credit. Fair play to you.

Madine and Le Fondre both managed to score without the team creating a single chance which is pretty fucking lucky. Credit to Le Fondre for his effort, but we need pace, Armstrong looked a better bet and he only played for 10 minutes. Madine? Went through 90 minutes without getting a hair out of place, quite an achievement. Some half decent headers won, but you just feel he could try so much harder.

It was a terrible performance with some terrible players. Until we can hold onto the ball for more than half a second we are fucked, we will be down by January. It's a long time since I have been so pissed off at a match. Yes, we're skint - but there are still players out there who can hold onto a ball and pass it 2 yards. Like my Grandad.

Parky out.

9 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 20:13

Leeds_Trotter

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Darby is shite

10 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 20:34

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Predictable problems and a reality check at fortress Macron but TBH they did better than i expected, however we just weren't a consistent goal threat. Worryingly the defence was a problem largely due to the wing backs dropping in to make a back 5 and then not holding the line/playing their strikers onside. That said if the defence can get back to something like it was last season we might just have enough to win enough points over the course of the season to survive, but I do think we need something better up front than pinging it to Madine every time.
Any update on the Vela injury?

11 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 20:39

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wanderlust wrote:but I do think we need something better up front than pinging it to Madine every time.

Won't happen. He's made it clear that it's his one and only tactic. He'd be better leaving Alf on the bench and picking that 100 year old striker we got from Bristol City.

12 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 21:04

doffcocker

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Nothing very exciting from the new signings, nothing reassuring from any of the reliable players of last season, nothing really to suggest this side is any stronger than the one that was relegated two seasons ago. I do think 2-3 paints an unrealistic picture of the sort of season we're in for. I mean it was a quite entertaining match considering how poor we were going forward.

There was definitely something a bit too good to be true about last season, and this match certainly felt like a reality check. 

I don't think Parkinson's got it easy. When we were relegated to this division everybody thought we'd go straight back up, but six years on even the "small fish" in the pond can afford £5m here and £2m there, which is £7m more than us. 

That said, we might actually give ourselves a chance of staying in the division with a bit more willing to mix up the style a little. A bit of passage through midfield wouldn't go amiss for example.

13 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 21:56

standishfirsttrombone

David Ngog
David Ngog
I enjoyed todays game. Madine played really well as a target man laying the ball off and I felt at times we put them under a lot of pressure pumping the ball into the box. It was obvious Leeds had more class and speed than us, but there was only one goal in it and we had a chance of coming away with a point right up to the final whistle. I think it's very early days yet. Parkinson seems to have a way of making something out of nothing and we all know he has nothing in the bank. Given the resources we have, I can't think of anyone who would make a better job of it at the moment.

14 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 22:09

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
standishfirsttrombone wrote:Madine played really well as a target man laying the ball off and I felt at times we put them under a lot of pressure pumping the ball into the box.

Welcome to the site.

I don't think we created enough - yes we put a lot of long balls into their box but Madine's flicks tended to end up at the feet of a Leeds player.

While I didn't expect to beat Leeds, I don't think this one dimensional long ball will work at this level - and with a midfield that seems devoid of the ability to hold and pass the ball, I can't see any plan B.

15 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 23:05

y2johnny

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I think we may need to look at different partnerships upfront.  Mix it up but i thought we did quite well today.  Darby wasnt great  (has anyone mentioned that by the way) but the "offside" goal which wasnt offside was basically all yhe other players where in sync and he wasnt.  It will come.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Madine was brilliant up until about the hour mark and then ypu could see his frustration, same with Vela.

We missed morais.  Ameobi and pratley  could make a difference too.  Wasnt a huge embarrassment like some are making out.  Anyone would think we are on game 45 of 46 instead of game 1 of 46.  Get a grip.

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

16 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 23:29

Sluffy

Admin
Match highlights - 5 minutes worth!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh and a bonus video if you haven't seen it already - Luton 8 - 2 Yeovil

(Yeovil led 1-0 by the way!)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

17 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 23:41

Hip Priest

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Early days. Morais and Ameobi will eventually add a bit of creativity when they return. People are criticizing an ineffective midfield. They were ineffective largely because every time we get the ball we just launch it from the back. Hoofball won't get us very far in this division. Armstrong is a livewire and should be starting instead of Alf in my view. A poor performance but I'm not too downhearted. Match 1 of 46.

18 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 23:47

Leeds_Trotter

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Does anyone have the number for Tyrone Mears?

19 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 23:51

Norpig

Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Poor first half and our defence was all over the place which was strange considering Darby was the only new player. He was poor though and i was surprised to see him start. he isn't a wing back thats for sure, he didn't get forward and looked hesitant at the back. We need Morais back and quick.

I thought Madine was outstanding today as well, he won everything in the air but we were very direct today, too direct in my opinion. We have to mix it up a bit more.

20 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Sun Aug 06 2017, 23:52

Sluffy

Admin
Just to put things into context for this game and the season ahead -

21 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Mon Aug 07 2017, 00:00

Norpig

Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
i'm not too downbeat yet Sluffy, it is going to be a battle to stay up but we showed a bit of fight 2nd half, just need to cut out the silly mistakes.

Lets not forget Leeds only just missed out on the playoffs last season and are a good team at this level

22 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Mon Aug 07 2017, 00:07

Leeds_Trotter

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
I'm just angry I don't have bragging rights, I'll be okay if we get a result next league game.

23 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Mon Aug 07 2017, 00:50

Sluffy

Admin
Norpig wrote:i'm not too downbeat yet Sluffy, it is going to be a battle to stay up but we showed a bit of fight 2nd half, just need to cut out the silly mistakes.

Lets not forget Leeds only just missed out on the playoffs last season and are a good team at this level

I'm quite optimistic really.

Leeds will probably be one of the better sides in the division over the season and we gave them a game.

Darby by all accounts is a cracking right back and defender but not so hot as a wingback. Seems he proved the point today.

Hard to understand why Parkinson played him in that role though? I thought he would have reverted to a back four again by signing up his former captain. Shows how much I know!

I think we may be a little light in midfield - Vela seems to have had a worrying injury to add to that - and we need another forward imo - because as good as he played today, I can't really see Madine getting the 15 or more goals we need from his position over the season.

A lot of encouraging stuff to take from the game as all the new boys (Darby excepted) looked good.

I think Darby will be fine too once he finds his niche in the side - maybe Parkinson intends to play four at the back away and three at home - and thus be more defensive away and attacking at home?

Early days yet and I'm sure there will be three worse sides than us in this division come seasons end.

COYWM.

24 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Mon Aug 07 2017, 07:21

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Report: Bolton 2-3 Leeds United

Despite a valiant performance, Wanderers found themselves on the wrong side of a five-goal opening day thriller against Leeds United at Macron Stadium.

The visitors drew first blood in the clash with Kalvin Phillips’ curling effort eluding Mark Howard in the Bolton goal with just seven minutes on the clock, while they added a second on the half hour mark courtesy of Chris Wood’s close-range header.

Phil Parkinson’s side halved the deficit with six minutes of the half remaining however, only for Phillips to add his second of the game in the 43rd minute when prodding home from eight yards.

Bolton once again pulled themselves back into the game with 24 minutes left as Adam Le Fondre fired home from the penalty spot, but it was to be in vain come the final whistle as Wanderers fell to an opening day defeat.

TEAM NEWS

Wanderers saw David Wheater take the captain’s armband in the absence of Darren Pratley, while there was a debut for Josh Cullen following his loan move from West Ham United earlier in the week.

FIRST HALF

Both sets of fans were in fine voice as the game got underway at a sodden Macron Stadium, while it was the home side who looked the more menacing early on with a number of lofted balls into Leeds territory.

On what was their first attack however, the visitors broke the deadlock with Phillips curling home from a corner kick.

A sucker punch for the Whites, it was certainly the fillip needed for United with them pressing forward in their numbers following their opener.

Adam Le Fondre enjoyed Bolton’s first shot on target just after the quarter-hour mark when taking the ball down ten yards shy of the goalmouth, but his effort was a tame one and failed to trouble Felix Wiedwald between the sticks.

A goalmouth scramble ensued with the first period reaching its halfway point, with Jem Karacan, Le Fondre and Mark Beevers all in the mix as the ball was knocked around a crowded box, only to see it eventually hoofed away.

Confidence was growing for the Whites though, with the home faithful sensing so and responding with their vocal backing.

Against the run of play however, Leeds had a second on the half hour mark with Wood nodding home from a yard out.

Despite this though, Wanderers continued to lay siege on United’s goalmouth as the half drew to its conclusion.

And they were rewarded with six minutes of the first period remaining as Madine nodded home from a Josh Vela corner.

A lifeline for Wanderers, their pressure continued but yet again, the visitors hit them on the counter and in arguably fortuitous circumstances with Phillips and Wood eluding an offside flag as the former poked home from eight yards out to make it 3-1.

Madine looked set to have his second of the game as the clash entered seven minutes of additional time when unleashing a thunderous volley from 30 yards out, but his effort rippled the side netting with Wiedwald a beaten man.

Come the half time whistle however, the scoreline was as you were.

SECOND HALF

With no changes for either side at the break, the game got back underway in front of a confirmed attendance of just under 20,000 at Macron Stadium.

Inside the opening stages of the second period, Wanderers attempted tentative steps in the way of halving the deficit once again.

It was Leeds who enjoyed the first sight of goal however, with Howard doing well to get down at his near post to keep out Ezgjan Alioski’s close-range thunderbolt.

Soon after meanwhile, David Wheater made way for another debutant in the form of Reece Burke, while Howard was called upon again with Vurnon Anita’s pile driver from 25 yards stinging his palms.

Wanderers were still searching for their second goal of the game, and in their endeavours managed to win a number of set-pieces which had Leeds on their guard.

And they were handed the perfect opportunity with 23 minutes to go as the referee awarded Bolton a penalty kick for a pull on Madine's shirt, which Le Fondre calmly thundered past Wiedwald to the delight of the home faithful.

Somehow, Leeds almost restored their two goal advantage moments after the restart, only for Pablo Hernandez’s long-range strike to cannon off the crossbar with Howard a beaten man.

It was end-to-end stuff at BL6, with Wanderers desperately trying to force an equaliser and make their pressure count while Leeds were hoping to put the game to bed.

The visitors, visibly rattled, were throwing men forwards in a bid to kill the Whites off but the home side just kept coming at them.

With the match entering its final throes, it was all Bolton with Thomas Christiansen's side penned into their own box. And with four minutes of added time, it was all hands to the pump for the hosts.

Despite their best efforts however, it wasn't to be come the final whistle as Leeds hung on for the win, while Josh Vela was stretchered from the field for Wanderers.

FULL TIME

Source

25 Re: Bolton 2-3 Leeds on Mon Aug 07 2017, 09:03

Bwfc1958

Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!
Tbh I'm not too bothered at this stage. Yes we were a bit shit and the constant route one stuff does your nut in at times but we were competitive and only lost by one goal. 

Realistically, it's to be expected. Leeds have been splashing the cash over the summer and we have a whole squad that didn't cost a single penny. If they can get on the training ground and iron out the defensive naivity it won't be all bad and I reckon we'll have enough to set least stay in the division. 

All three goals could have been avoided by simply concentrating and doing jobs correctly as individuals. Karacan was too busy pointing out somebody else's job than doing his own for the first goal. If he'd have tracked his man properly, the goal wouldn't have happened. If Darby and Wheater had stuck with their men, the second goal wouldn't have happened and if Darby had taken a single step forwards and got in line, the third goal doesn't happen either. 

Armstrong looked very lively when he came on and has pace to burn. Buckley will warm to it and we still have Morais and Ameobi to come back into the fold. 

Not all doom and gloom just yet, just a lot of hard work needs to be done.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum