Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Covid now over?

+12
Whitesince63
okocha
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
Bolton Nuts
Cajunboy
BoltonTillIDie
karlypants
dutchwhites63
wanderlust
boltonbonce
Sluffy
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

21Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Mon Oct 04 2021, 12:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The "Traffic Light" travel system has been scrapped.
Now it's just a list of countries designated red.

It's taken a long time to simplify it and the decision to list some countries as "red" remains arbitrary to the observer, but at least some of the confusion has been taken out of the equation.

22Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Mon Nov 15 2021, 12:10

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just had my Covid booster and flu jab at the same time, i've had more pricks than Nat does on a Saturday night out in Preston  Laughing

23Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Mon Nov 15 2021, 13:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Just had my Covid booster and flu jab at the same time, i've had more pricks than Nat does on a Saturday night out in Preston  Laughing

This post has left me seething.

I can't help the fact I attract pricks like Eric, I'm just a natural born beauty.

24Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Mon Nov 29 2021, 14:09

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With the new variant Omicron in the country, albeit in very small numbers are we going to see another lockdown or tighter restrictions?

I know that as of tomorrow i'll need to wear a mask on public transport and in shops (which i have been doing most of the time anyway) but i can guarantee there will be plenty who will ignore this and just carry on regardless.

25Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Mon Nov 29 2021, 14:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:With the new variant Omicron in the country, albeit in very small numbers are we going to see another lockdown or tighter restrictions?

I know that as of tomorrow i'll need to wear a mask on public transport and in shops (which i have been doing most of the time anyway) but i can guarantee there will be plenty who will ignore this and just carry on regardless.

https://www.cityam.com/coronavirus-blessing-in-the-sky-omicron-may-be-very-positive-news-for-the-world-if-new-covid-mutation-kills-off-more-lethal-delta-variant/

26Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Mon Nov 29 2021, 14:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Interesting! If this was common knowledge then even less people would bother wearing a mask or getting another vaccine.

27Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Mon Nov 29 2021, 15:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
Interesting! If this was common knowledge then even less people would bother wearing a mask or getting another vaccine.
Like you, I wear a mask in shops anyway. It's no chore, despite people bleating about having their freedoms taken away.

28Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Mon Nov 29 2021, 16:14

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The trouble is that any photo of the massed ranks of MPs in the HoC shows that very many of our leaders are ignoring their own rules whilst we plebs are nevertheless expected to keep to them.

Our favourite guru, Rees-Mogg, says it's ok though, because they all get on so well together! Advanced logic, way beyond the rest of us mere mortals.... ..dunno..

29Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Fri Dec 03 2021, 11:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With the emergence of the Delta and now Omicron variants it's increasingly clear that the "herd immunity" concept is unachievable as each new variant pushes the target number up higher and higher.
IMHO the only potential successful strategy is to maintain a programme of vaccination/mask wearing/hand washing/travel restriction/lockdown etc until the critical mass of remaining virus is low enough to severely hamper the statistical opportunity to mutate - i.e. containment.
Nobody wants that, but logically it's the only way - unless somebody can create a vaccine that 100% protects against all variants - and that's donkey's years away by all accounts.

30Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Fri Dec 03 2021, 12:22

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:With the emergence of the Delta and now Omicron variants it's increasingly clear that the "herd immunity" concept is unachievable as each new variant pushes the target number up higher and higher.
IMHO the only potential successful strategy is to maintain a programme of vaccination/mask wearing/hand washing/travel restriction/lockdown etc until the critical mass of remaining virus is low enough to severely hamper the statistical opportunity to mutate - i.e. containment.
Nobody wants that, but logically it's the only way - unless somebody can create a vaccine that 100% protects against all variants - and that's donkey's years away by all accounts.

The scientists have to find a 100% vaccine for flu yet - so it seems to me that the same approach of containment of annual jabs will be what to expect for Covid too, indeed we've just bought enough Pfizer vaccine for the next two years already.

We've got to accept that Covid won't be going away anytime soon (almost certainly not in my lifetime) simply because ALL the world needs to be vaccinated and have their boosters - and that is impossible to achieve - if for no other reason because plenty people don't want to get a jab.

Eventually we will all just accept Covid as part of life as we do with flu and science seems to be able to keep it from killing us so far providing we take our booster jabs.

I get the impression that the worry we have with this most recent variation is not so much that it can't be controlled by having our jabs but more that it will spread quickly amongst those who aren't jabbed or deliberately not taken their second or booster ones - and that these folks (or a percentage of them) will be hospitalised and put the pressure on the NHS again.

It's interesting that Germany looks to be making the non jabbed in their country into social pariah's banning them from most places including shops (iirc).

I don't know how they will enforce such rules but maybe that's the future for us in the west if it does work and thus 'force' people to reluctantly have their jabs like the rest of us have?

31Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Fri Dec 03 2021, 17:43

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Very early days but I thought this little stat was interesting -

Posted at 16:57
Omicron cases in England likely to have been separate introductions - UK Health Security Agency

There were 22 confirmed cases of Omicron in England, as of 30 November.

A total of 12 of these cases were more than 14 days after receiving at least two doses of vaccine; two were more than 28 days after a first jab; and six were unvaccinated. Two had no available information.

None of these cases are known to have resulted in hospitalisation or death, the agency added.

32Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Wed Dec 15 2021, 16:08

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wow!

Posted at 16:04
BREAKING

Record 78,610 daily cases reported in UK

A further 78,610 Covid cases have been confirmed in the UK, the government has announced. It's a record number of daily cases for the UK.

The previous record for cases was in January.

Official figures released just now also show a further 165 people have died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59664383

Son be over 100,000 per day at this rate!

33Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Tue Dec 21 2021, 23:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A bit of personal bad news, my daughter tested positive for Covid today.

She tells me she feels fine but does have some cold like symptoms.

She's booked a test tomorrow to confirm the flow test but it does appear she has got it.

I'm sure she'll be fine, she's young and had two jabs, the last being about 3 or 4 months back if that.

I'm guessing she's got the Omicron version, and really only sharing my news to remind people to keep safe and that having  two jabs doesn't mean you can't catch it.

I'm sure she will be fine but I'm upset for her because she feels she's spoilt Christmas for all of us and is feeling down because of that.

She's not but that's how she feels.

Keep safe everyone.

34Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Wed Dec 22 2021, 02:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Despite the government faffing about re further Covid measures i.e. not wanting to appear to have "cancelled Xmas" so saving lockdown for New Year, it seems to me that the majority of people are doing it under their own volition aka without having to be told.

Retail and Leisure sectors are taking a hammering and other sectors are reporting higher than normal sick leave, holidays and general absenteeism.

35Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Wed Dec 22 2021, 07:59

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:A bit of personal bad news, my daughter tested positive for Covid today.

She's booked a test tomorrow to confirm the flow test but it does appear she has got it.

I'm sure she'll be fine, she's young and had two jabs, the last being about 3 or 4 months back if that.

I'm guessing she's got the Omicron version, and really only sharing my news to remind people to keep safe and that having  two jabs doesn't mean you can't catch it.

I'm sure she will be fine but I'm upset for her because she feels she's spoilt Christmas for all of us and is feeling down because of that.

Keep safe everyone.
Sorry to hear that Sluffy, she can't have a booster now until 4 weeks after her isolation ends. Mrs Pig is paranoid about going anywhere at the moment as we are going to her parents for Christmas Day and her Dad is in his 90's.

I have a feeling a lockdown is coming on Boxing Day anyway.

36Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Wed Dec 22 2021, 10:24

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Sorry to hear that Sluffy, she can't have a booster now until 4 weeks after her isolation ends. Mrs Pig is paranoid about going anywhere at the moment as we are going to her parents for Christmas Day and her Dad is in his 90's.

I have a feeling a lockdown is coming on Boxing Day anyway.

Thanks mate.

I'm sure she will be fine.

The thing is though is that in the last week she's not been doing anything 'silly' and not gone anywhere other to travel to work on public transport or to walk to the nearest food shops.

Her mum (the ex) has to have a hospital operation this week albeit a minor one and because she is staying with her mum over the Christmas holidays has been extra vigilant and taking flow test daily, for fear of her mum catching anything and having to cancel the op.

Of course she could have picked it up from anywhere even her mum, who who works and shops herself, but the point being Covid is out there big time and currently spreading rapidly - at least in and around London in the last week or so.

I can well understand your wife's paranoia at the moment and I think really we all know that if it wasn't for Christmas (and being hospitality and the shops busiest time of the year) we would certainly have had more restrictions by now.

The good thing - if there is a good thing in all this is that up to now the latest version Omicron doesn't look to be a 'killer' and reports of deaths from it seem to be very low so far (the BBC reported just 12 on Friday).

It takes about a month from the start of a new wave until deaths start to rise but it looks for now that Omicron isn't the 'killer' we feared it might have been.

Hope you, your wife and family all stay safe and have a cracking time with your father in law on Christmas Day!

37Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Wed Dec 22 2021, 10:26

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:A bit of personal bad news, my daughter tested positive for Covid today.

Keep safe everyone.

Sorry to hear that Sluffy but I’m sure she’ll be fine. My own daughters a nurse and she had the virus earlier this year but was fine other than a bad headache. I hope it is the Omicron strain because it’s supposed to be much milder. Good luck anyway and hope you all have a good Christmas. 🎄

38Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Wed Dec 22 2021, 10:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:

Keep safe everyone.

Sorry to hear that Sluffy but I’m sure she’ll be fine. My own daughters a nurse and she had the virus earlier this year but was fine other than a bad headache. I hope it is the Omicron strain because it’s supposed to be much milder. Good luck anyway and hope you all have a good Christmas. 🎄

Thanks 63, I very much appreciate your kind thoughts.

You have a great Christmas too!

39Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Wed Dec 22 2021, 10:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Thanks mate.

I'm sure she will be fine.

The thing is though is that in the last week she's not been doing anything 'silly' and not gone anywhere other to travel to work on public transport or to walk to the nearest food shops.

Her mum (the ex) has to have a hospital operation this week albeit a minor one and because she is staying with her mum over the Christmas holidays has been extra vigilant and taking flow test daily, for fear of her mum catching anything and having to cancel the op.

Of course she could have picked it up from anywhere even her mum, who who works and shops herself, but the point being Covid is out there big time and currently spreading rapidly - at least in and around London in the last week or so.

I can well understand your wife's paranoia at the moment and I think really we all know that if it wasn't for Christmas (and being hospitality and the shops busiest time of the year) we would certainly have had more restrictions by now.

The good thing - if there is a good thing in all this is that up to now the latest version Omicron doesn't look to be a 'killer' and reports of deaths from it seem to be very low so far (the BBC reported just 12 on Friday).

It takes about a month from the start of a new wave until deaths start to rise but it looks for now that Omicron isn't the 'killer' we feared it might have been.

Hope you, your wife and family all stay safe and have a cracking time with your father in law on Christmas Day!
That does seem to be the thinking on Omicron, very transmissable but not as severe as the other strains.

I've been unpacking 10 boxes of Pfizer vaccine this morning at work and we had 9 boxes yesterday (roughly 1170 doses per box) so the booster program is ramping up big time here

40Is Covid now over? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Covid now over? Wed Dec 22 2021, 10:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keep safe everyone.
I'm sure she'll be fine. And as for feeling she's spoilt Christmas, her getting well will be the best gift she can give.
There are good times ahead, I'm certain. Stay safe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum