Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 3-2 Bristol City

+21
Alf Hooker
Lyric Todkill
Bernard Dennis Park
aaron_bwfc
JonnyRandom
doffcocker
Michael Bolton
Spillthebeans
Keegan
terenceanne
karlypants
gloswhite
Sluffy
Bolton Nuts
Hipster_Nebula
WhiteBic
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
Angry Dad
inf
BoltonTillIDie
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

101Bolton 3-2 Bristol City - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 3-2 Bristol City Sun Oct 21 2012, 09:36

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so I wasn't expecting to be Barca overnight. Going two goals down had me fearing the worst. The first goal was fair enough but giving away the penalty in that fashion was far too familiar a scenario and whatever happens it's clear there's a lot more work to be done with the defence. But who can complain about the comeback and moreover the style with which we did it? OK we were at home but we dominated possession and played very patiently.

There seemed to be less panic going forward with players willing to pass sideways if nothing was on rather than giving it away as we have been doing. Retaining possession reduced the threat on our own goal and it was a far more assured performance than we've had recently despite the early setbacks. There seemed to be more options and the players' attitude seemed much more controlled and focussed.

We will play better teams, we have to go on the road and I'm not overwhelmed with all the selections but IMO there were a lot of positives that came out of the game. More importantly, the negatives are things that can be worked on and I think the dreamteam showed enough tactical nous to suggest that they'll be able to come up with the answers despite the limited budget - in other words I think they'll get the best out of the current squad.

Going forward, we looked much better than we have done although the defence is still a major concern and I'm not sure that any combination of Mills, Ream and Knight will ever be good enough but I live in hope. Clearly they're sticking with a back 4 and maybe they'll try playing Ricketts in the middle again to calm things down until Wheater is back and Riley on the right at some stage but after yesterday the back four is my only real concern given that we've shown we can play with confidence going forward and convert chances into goals.

Only one game but if they keep that level of performance, commitment, patience and mobility up we could become a force to be reckoned with in this league. It will be difficult over the next few games, but I hope the Board give these lads a proper chance to build on this positive start.

7/10 IMO.

102Bolton 3-2 Bristol City - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 3-2 Bristol City Sun Oct 21 2012, 18:02

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Plenty of positives tbh. Couldn't fault the first Bristol goal, it was a cracker. Ream gave away the penalty for their second but I won't hold it against him as it's his first time back for a few games.

I thought the back four did okay. JP has gone with Ream and Mills in the middle and I thought they did okay. Mills was filling the R/B slot and letting Mears get forward.

Why was Mears wearing gloves ? It wasn't even cold ?

Little Jay Spearing had a good game and it was good to see Petrov back on the wing.

Kevin Davies get's his share of stick but he gave their No.6 a torrid afternoon.

I really don't mind us conceding 2 goals as long as we score three. A good confidence boosting performance under JP and SL. More of the same at Wolves on Tuesday night please!

103Bolton 3-2 Bristol City - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 3-2 Bristol City Sun Oct 21 2012, 19:52

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WTF was up with the Bristol City fans yesterday ? They were kicking off in the South stand lower throughout the game and the police were scarce by their absence.

They caused damage at Scotts and Harvesters after the game and there were also skirmishes at the train station.

I can understand them being gutted at losing after leading 2-0 but there is no excuse for taking it out on two family pubs.

104Bolton 3-2 Bristol City - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 3-2 Bristol City Sun Oct 21 2012, 20:15

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Didn't see the game but this is the picture im getting from reports, on here and the (shitty) Football League Show.

We were very unlucky to go 1 down nevermind two, first was a great volley (still shouldn't be able to do it but its forgivable, we didn't exactly give him an easy chance) second was a silly penalty in virtually their only other attack in the first half (Ream has looked nervous this season but Id rather we kept him on, he was good last season and I just think hes needs to regain confidence and get his mind on the job) First half they only had two shots didn't they? and two goals...

The rest of the game it looks as though we absolutely hammered them. Our second two goals were very good, in fact the 3rd was fantastic, worthy of praise for any premiership team, nevermind in comparison with how we've been playing.

It looks like had we gotten a bit more luck at the start then 2/3-0 wouldn't have flattered us. So im pretty happy about it.

Big Positives for me:

- I was worried about Ream, really liked him last year with Wheater, but if the staff are thinking hes up to it then im guessing it was just Coyles Zat-love keeping him out.

- Chungy played, for me he has the most footballing skill in our whole squad, the type of player who can produce a bit of magic and win the match, and hes actually proven in on various occasions. One minute after his introduction hes involved with a goal, of course Petrov deserves most of the credit, but still good to see.

- Kevin Davies played well. For me he has all season, and to get the goals and assists he has in such a poor team proves it, I really don't get how people can argue with this. He intelligent and knows the game. Im glad he did a good through ball assist this time to shut up the people how just say 'anyone can do a header' whenever he plays well.

- Tactics seem to be less obvious. When would Coyle, if needing a goal, take of a striker and replace him with Chungy, he wouldn't, he would have just stuck N'gog on (or more likely Afobe since N'gog would have started) and we would just be playing the exact same way. Also I saw someone here saying Afobe kept swapping with the wingers to confuse their defense, sounds good.

Negative:

I know hes been on international duty, but Sordell not even making the bench ! Im just hoping its because he hasn't been involved much in the new training so they are giving him a bit of time and not that hes had a big falling out with the staff. Jimmy is known to drop youth players if they are giving any lip (as they should be) But im hoping this isn't the case.

But all in all, im pretty happy.

105Bolton 3-2 Bristol City - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 3-2 Bristol City Sun Oct 21 2012, 22:06

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:Didn't see the game but this is the picture im getting from reports, on here and the (shitty) Football League Show.

We were very unlucky to go 1 down nevermind two, first was a great volley (still shouldn't be able to do it but its forgivable, we didn't exactly give him an easy chance) second was a silly penalty in virtually their only other attack in the first half (Ream has looked nervous this season but Id rather we kept him on, he was good last season and I just think hes needs to regain confidence and get his mind on the job) First half they only had two shots didn't they? and two goals...

The rest of the game it looks as though we absolutely hammered them. Our second two goals were very good, in fact the 3rd was fantastic, worthy of praise for any premiership team, nevermind in comparison with how we've been playing.

It looks like had we gotten a bit more luck at the start then 2/3-0 wouldn't have flattered us. So im pretty happy about it.

Big Positives for me:

- I was worried about Ream, really liked him last year with Wheater, but if the staff are thinking hes up to it then im guessing it was just Coyles Zat-love keeping him out.

- Chungy played, for me he has the most footballing skill in our whole squad, the type of player who can produce a bit of magic and win the match, and hes actually proven in on various occasions. One minute after his introduction hes involved with a goal, of course Petrov deserves most of the credit, but still good to see.

- Kevin Davies played well. For me he has all season, and to get the goals and assists he has in such a poor team proves it, I really don't get how people can argue with this. He intelligent and knows the game. Im glad he did a good through ball assist this time to shut up the people how just say 'anyone can do a header' whenever he plays well.

- Tactics seem to be less obvious. When would Coyle, if needing a goal, take of a striker and replace him with Chungy, he wouldn't, he would have just stuck N'gog on (or more likely Afobe since N'gog would have started) and we would just be playing the exact same way. Also I saw someone here saying Afobe kept swapping with the wingers to confuse their defense, sounds good.

Negative:

I know hes been on international duty, but Sordell not even making the bench ! Im just hoping its because he hasn't been involved much in the new training so they are giving him a bit of time and not that hes had a big falling out with the staff. Jimmy is known to drop youth players if they are giving any lip (as they should be) But im hoping this isn't the case.

But all in all, im pretty happy.

I concur.

106Bolton 3-2 Bristol City - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 3-2 Bristol City Sun Oct 21 2012, 22:09

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

If Sordell can slot into the role which Afobe was asked to do on Saturday then we may see the best of him. Not sure that free role they gave Afobe will be a common thing under JP/SL but it looked good.

107Bolton 3-2 Bristol City - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 3-2 Bristol City Mon Oct 22 2012, 10:08

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Culcheth_White wrote:
JonnyRandom wrote:I said at the game today when we were 2 goals down and im glad i was proved right, we did no way deserve to be 2 down. Their first was a crackin over head kick which i think caught everyone by surprise. 2nd was just a penelty. Nothing could be done about them 2.

Most of the game we were sat in their half being patient and waiting for a gap which was shown for the second and third goal. We looked organised and balanced throught. Only thing i think should be swapped it mears.

Plus it was odd to see our manager constantly stood up wearing pants instead of shorts!

Hopefully we will push on from here and if we can play the way we did we will be flying up the table.

Icing on the cake was their rioting fans at the end!! I counted 7 police cars flying past as i walked to me car!

Good post! I used to live on Hough Lane in Tyldesley btw.

cheers, I live right at the back of fred longworths school. (not with binoculars or anything Shocked )

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum