Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Centre backs?

+3
Reebok Trotter
aaron_bwfc
Sluffy
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Centre backs? Empty Centre backs? Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Did I understand correctly that Kevin Davies and Ricketts finished the game as our centre backs?

If so wtf are we going to do in our next games, as if I understand it, Knight seems to have been well and truly dropped - he played with the under 21's yesterday (with Wylde who I thought had gone out on loan - clearly not) and Mills went off injured.

Wheater is out long term.

What happened to Ream - did we play three centre backs at the end - or is he simply not good enough?

Should Davies play at the back - he gives an awful lot of free kicks away playing up front?

I'm at a loss to understand what exactly is going on here - can anybody enlighten me please?

2Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:35

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

From what it sounded like on the radio, Davies finished at centre back with...now bear with me, Andrews up top with Ngog.

The sooner Wheater is back the better.

3Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:36

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought Wylde had gone to Carlisle ?

4Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:37

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Not sure that ever came off, I didn't see any official story regarding it.

Maybe it was called off after OC was sacked.

5Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:42

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Reebok Trotter wrote:I thought Wylde had gone to Carlisle ?

Zat Knight, Marcos Alonso and Gregg Wylde all play 90 minutes in County Ground defeat

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:44

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

It was genius to put K Davies at the back and unexpected by everyone!
What a master stroke.

He had become ineffectual up top and was being missed out in our fast paced attacking moves. Wolves had become limited to long balling it as we piled on the pressure. So Ream moved forward slightly to give us a more impregnable midfield and Kevin Davies was put at the back as his key strength is in winning the ball in the air. Davies mopped up a lot at the back toward the end as Wolves kept booting it high. To me it is extremely clever use of a players strengths and demonstrates astute tactical awareness.

7Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:47

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

jayjay23 wrote:It was genius to put K Davies at the back and unexpected by everyone!
What a master stroke.

He had become ineffectual up top and was being missed out in our fast paced attacking moves. Wolves had become limited to long balling it as we piled on the pressure. So Ream moved forward slightly to give us a more impregnable midfield and Kevin Davies was put at the back as his key strength is in winning the ball in the air. Davies mopped up a lot at the back toward the end as Wolves kept booting it high. To me it is extremely clever use of a players strengths and demonstrates astute tactical awareness.

It just goes to show that JP knows the players and can read the game. Why didn't Coyle think of this ?

8Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Wed Oct 24 2012, 13:12

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:What happened to Ream - did we play three centre backs at the end - or is he simply not good enough?

Ream finished the game at left back!

9Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Wed Oct 24 2012, 14:08

Thought Ream had a good game last night, him and Ricketts would be my pairing vs Boro

10Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Wed Oct 24 2012, 16:28

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

jayjay23 wrote:So Ream moved forward slightly to give us a more impregnable midfield.

Have you just made this up?

11Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Wed Oct 24 2012, 16:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I keep telling you, the dream team has the nous to make the best of what we've got.

Not sure about playing BKD at the back for 90 minutes but if we're getting aerial bombardment there's none better - as long as he doesn't give away penalties.

Sam Ricketts showed he can do a class job at CB when Cahill was injured so why he hasn't been used there since still amazes me.

Squad rotation has been an alien concept this season and I know it's not ideal to play players "out of position" but playing to their strengths is perfectly acceptable IMO.

Whatever they're doing, it's starting to work and we'll get by until Wheater is back. Now just give Riley a shot at LB and I'll be happy.

12Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Wed Oct 24 2012, 16:50

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ricketts could partner Ream at centre back and Mills could play at RB. Also, can we expect to see Sordell play against Boro ?

13Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Wed Oct 24 2012, 17:02

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not sure if Ream is good enough, sadly. Difficult to say who the weakest link is, but it ain't Ricketts.

Don't think it's a popular pairing but Knight was great when he had Ricketts alongside him last year.

Doubt they'll start Sordell at the moment but would love to see him if possible in the new approach as his link up play is great.

14Centre backs? Empty Re: Centre backs? Wed Oct 24 2012, 17:09

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I've been surprised with Ream this season, he looked decent last season though we went down but both him and Mills IMO look out of their depth at times. Mills is aweful in the air at winning headers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum