Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Atmosphere

+7
BoltonTillIDie
Copper Dragon
doffcocker
Sgt. Bash
Bernard Dennis Park
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Best Atmosphere Empty Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What's the best atmosphere you've ever experienced at a game?

As home matches go the thrashing of Wolves at Burnden Park when Lofty took on the away following is definitely up there for me....Jimmy Phillips even scored a screamer to put the icing on the cake.

Another game against Wolves that had a really intense atmosphere was the play-off semi final when McGinlay chinned David Kelly and Fabian scored the winner.

Great memeories, I fear we'll never experience an atmosphere like that again.

2Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:29

Hull City away (Friday Night), Southampton away 1992 F.A Cup, Swindon in the League cup semi final in 1995, Arsenal away in the F.A cup (1995) but don't think anything will top Anfield in 1993. Games under floodlights are always a better atmosphere than Saturday afternoon games.

3Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:35

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

done this a few times haven't we.

for me at the reebok it was first leg of the playoff semi's vs ipswich when Johansen scored that screamer.

away from home i always loved going to fratton park great noise there and a cracking old ground.

4Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:41

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Bolton vs Birmingham 1994ish. The Zulus came in our end and we smashed them all over the place. Great atmosphere.

5Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:45

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Wigan away in the FA Cup last season, the South Stand at the DW was electric! Latics are clearly only second to Galatasaray in world football for creating atmosphere at the games....

If you don't agree with that. How about Leicester City at home in 2001. "That game" involving Robbie Savage? I think if he hadn't been taken off after our 2nd red, his life might actually have been in danger. Ironic that Trevor McDonald & co decided to use that game to hook Big Sam up to an ECG machine for there football manager stress episode!

6Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:48

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I went mad and jumped over about 5 rows of seats when Ricketts got the last minute equaliser in that game. Brilliant.

7Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:07

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

0-2 down with 9 men. What a comeback that was!

Some good away day atomospheres that spring to mind, Brum away in the quarter final last season (pity about the resulting Wembley fiasco, but that day at St Andrews will be remembered for a long time!) Also, Guimaraes away in the Uefa Cup, the atmosphere in that little square everyone gathered in before the game was fantastic, we then marched to the stadium with a local band! One of the best days as a Wanderer I'll probably ever have!

8Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:08

A cold night in Bournemouth when Phil Brown scored a last minute volley to win the game. There were only about 250 Bolton fans there but the atmosphere was ace.

9Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:10

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bolton 2-2 Hull.

10Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:10

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Passi wrote:A cold night in Bournemouth when Phil Brown scored a last minute volley to win the game. There were only about 250 Bolton fans there but the atmosphere was ace.

1993. Julian Darby got the other goal that night didn't he? Great times.

11Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:12

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

After the game, I was buzzing! Why did we let him go?

12Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:19

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:
Passi wrote:A cold night in Bournemouth when Phil Brown scored a last minute volley to win the game. There were only about 250 Bolton fans there but the atmosphere was ace.

1993. Julian Darby got the other goal that night didn't he? Great times.

In the 1993 game Julian Darby scored the winner, Phil Brown scored the first. It was the Tuesday before the Hull match on the Friday, my first year at Secondary school and went to every game that season.

13Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:23

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Didn't Scott Green flick it on for Brown to score late on? I can remember Darbys goal. A looping header which kind of went in of his shoulder. Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

14Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:24

Phil Brown did score the winner, my mind is playing tricks on me to.

15Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:29

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Derby County v Burnley FA Cup 3rd round replay 1992.....

REAL FANS ROAR OUT MESSAGE TO ALL THE FAT CATS

Jimmy Mullen is due in court this morning to answer a drink drive allegation.
On Saturday,he watched his goalkeeper inexplicably drop the ball to present Derby with a decisive second goal that swept his team out of the fa cup.
Now,you couldn't claim that these have been the the happiest few days in the life of fourth division Burnley.
And yet Mullen has found himself at the centre of a remarkable phenomenon perhaps unique in the grand history of football's most romantic competition.
I don't care what kind of response former Burnley midfield man Brian Flynn received as manager of Wrexham on their latest day of glory at West Ham.
It wouldn't have been a patch on the acclaim given to the boss of the club where he began.
I want to tell you about the most heartening, stimulating and optimistic occasion i have experienced for many .many years.
Derby v Burnley was a match in a time-warp.A third round match played on fourth round day . But the real blast from the past came from far more distant days...
When fans came only to back there beloved team, not fight there opposite numbers . when fences were not needed and policemen merely smiled in approval.
Burnley took 4,000 Lancashire lads and lasses to the midlands.and they were sensational.

Soon after goalkeeper Chris Pearce dropped his dreadful clanger they set up one of the loudest ,sustained dins I've ever heard on a foot ball ground anywhere in the world
"Jimmy Mullen's claret and blue army" was the chant from the terraces and double decker stand that housed Burnley's claret and blue army.
Over and over they chanted it. Clapping and stamping there feet and drumming on the advertisement boards in perfect rhythm.
On and on for 20 minutes until the end of the match and 15 Min's after.Until i urged the clubs chairman to get his manager and players to leave their dressing room , return to the pitch and wave their appreciation.
The bedlam was almost deafening, I t was a colorful and spectacular sight .But it was something far more important than that .
I wanted others to see and hear it . Big men important men who are making decisions that could alienate the game from ordinary working folk.
I wanted Graham Kelly to be there to prove to him that those who talk super leagues should not underestimate the passion of the so called little clubs.
I wanted sir John Quinton to be there so that the bank chairman chosen to preside over the elite could learn something of life at the other end of the scale.
I wanted officials of Man Utd and arsenal, Liverpool and the other fat cats behind the move to change the face of football to hear the voices of the people.
The bedlam of Burnley was not a simply a cry of support for another of the fa cups beaten teams It was a roar of defiance
"Traditions" said Arthur Cox , Derby's manager whose time in north east football taught him all there is to know about fanaticism." you heard the traditions of Burnleys past out there today.A major club of 30 years ago, don't forget" those who kept up that thunderous clatter were real football fans .
Genuine Football people with a deep love of their club ,no matter what the result
They had nothing to do with the executive box brigade and the corporate hospitality merchants to whom football is a pandering of the modern era.
They stood in the rain sat in the cold and screamed their allegiance to a game which,at the highest level, continues to turn its back.
English football has no right to dismiss or take lightly the support of people like those who raised their voices so valiantly at the baseball ground.
This remember was the support of a team who lost to a deflected free kick and a goal handed on a plate by a goalkeeper who couldn't catch the ball.
The frost that caused postponements had managers and scouts flocking to derby......
Brian Clough David Pleat, Neil Warnock, Ian Branfoot together with scouts from Villa,QPR,Norwich,Portsmouth,Leicester,West Ham...And with Leeds ,Man Utd, Oldham Coventry,Cambridge,Blackburn to name a few.
Some will report back about an individual player or one side or the other. But all will first tell the story of those incredible Burnley supporters

So at least the message will be cast far and wide . The cry from the fourth division will reach high places .
"In all my 23 years in the game I've never anything like that" Jimmy gasped
"It left my players feeling like they were prepared to die for those people "
It left Arthur Cox thinking out load"Burnley have had a reminder of how things could be.It was a demonstration of potential"
"They have to try to make sure they get promotion and don't let those people down" And that is a sobering thought.

Written by "John Sadler" sports journalist from the Sun

16Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:31

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Skipped that last post...

17Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:31

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

don't remember it as cold

great few days

18Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:31

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Bolton 2-2 Hull.

I see what you did there! That was a fucking awful night. I left with 20 minutes to go when we were 2-0 up. Driving away from the Reebok I had TowerFM on and when Hull levelled it to 2-2 I said to my wife, ' That's it now. Megson is well and truly fucked'.

19Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:35

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Lyric Todkill wrote:

don't remember it as cold

great few days

Didn't it piss it down?

20Best Atmosphere Empty Re: Best Atmosphere Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:46

I think I'm going senile.

My memory is a cold evening on an open embankment with Phil Brown scoring a late winner with a volley. When he scored he slowly walked towards the Bolton fans with arms aloft.

If I had a VCR I'd get my Roadrunner videos out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum