Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Holidays

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My Holidays Empty My Holidays Thu Oct 27 2022, 11:48

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thanks to being given "time off" yet again by you know who I've been on my holidays..

...and on my return I notice that the number of posts and discussions has shrunk like the stream via an enlarged prostate so I thought I'd ask where folk are going for their jollies?
This time I went to Malta and Gozo - first time for me.
In brief:
* overpopulated
* impressive limestone architecture throughout, especially the fortifications and religious buildings.
* average 28+ degrees at this time of the year
* loaded with history given it's strategic location
* rammed with impressive Catholic religious iconography and cathedrals - St Paul was shipwrecked there 
* visited loads of neolithic temples dating back to 4k BC, catacombs throughout the ages, Knights Templar/Knights Hospitaller, Arabic and Phoenician stuff
* Language is a mix of Arabic, Italian and English so confusing for linguists but 93% speaks English
* Hired a car - 11 euros a day. Petrol 1.34 euros/ltr! Diesel 1.26/ltr
* Stayed in Rabat (arabic for suburb) which is adjoined to M'dina (arabic for town) - beautiful with 5 Michelin restaurants although generally the food is Italian - orientated.
* Small - saw it all in two weeks and probably won't be going back - but for history/military/religious/sun/foodie fans it's definitely worth seeing.

Planning to go (finally) to Jamaica in January but BA have stopped flying to Montego Bay and travel company are being barstewards about finding alternative direct flight, even though hotel is booked. We'll see.

Anyone else going off for some winter sun?

2My Holidays Empty Re: My Holidays Thu Oct 27 2022, 11:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm too busy having internet problems. There was a huge Sky outage on Tuesday across Cheshire, and many other areas, and we're only just back to normal.
So  I had a sort of mini holiday from Nuts. And I'm sure Nuts felt all the better for it.

3My Holidays Empty Re: My Holidays Thu Oct 27 2022, 12:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:I'm too busy having internet problems. There was a huge Sky outage on Tuesday across Cheshire, and many other areas, and we're only just back to normal.
So  I had a sort of mini holiday from Nuts. And I'm sure Nuts felt all the better for it.
Thought you'd be on the piste Boncey..

4My Holidays Empty Re: My Holidays Thu Oct 27 2022, 12:07

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some men are born to ski. I'm not one of them.

5My Holidays Empty Re: My Holidays Thu Oct 27 2022, 14:10

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Been to Malta. The old buses are good, otherwise you have to be some sort of religious maniac to enjoy whats on offer. Gozo was more interesting, and we were only there for a couple of hours. 
You have to wonder what a country, or island, can offer, when the national dish is rabbit stew  Very Happy

6My Holidays Empty Re: My Holidays Thu Oct 27 2022, 15:08

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Some men are born to ski. I'm not one of them.
More of a sledge man, I would say.My Holidays Unknow39

7My Holidays Empty Re: My Holidays Thu Oct 27 2022, 15:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Everyone knows about our holiday going pear shaped so I think we will just have a staycation next year. Very Happy

8My Holidays Empty Re: My Holidays Thu Oct 27 2022, 15:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Been to Malta. The old buses are good, otherwise you have to be some sort of religious maniac to enjoy whats on offer. Gozo was more interesting, and we were only there for a couple of hours. 
You have to wonder what a country, or island, can offer, when the national dish is rabbit stew  Very Happy
I love rabbit stew providing it's cooked properly.
The one exception was on Xante years ago when a restaurant served me rabbit in red wine and thyme with rabbit livers. Looked great but this particular rabbit had 5 livers and three hearts - all overcooked and the livers were dry and powdery.
One of the fancy restaurants in Malta served a very tasty rabbit terrine - beautifully cooked - and I could eat that all day.

TBF rabbit is a bit more exotic than cod and potatoes Smile
Although our national dish nowadays is chicken tikka masala isn't it?

9My Holidays Empty Re: My Holidays Thu Oct 27 2022, 16:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
More of a sledge man, I would say.My Holidays Unknow39
Now that's more like it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum