Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Our striking options

+3
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
Sgt. Bash
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Our striking options Empty Our striking options Sun Jan 20 2013, 14:50

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

What is your order of starting preference for our current strikers? For me (when all fit):

1 - Sordell

He has scored 3 goals in 2 games against a PL team. He clearly has what it takes to score goals and clearly does it better from a starting place rather than coming off the bench.

2 - Craig Davies

We've opted to buy him, he's proven at this level with Barnsley. Lets see what he can do for us!

3 - Kevin Davies

He is a club legend and always will be for me. However, age has long since caught up with him. He can still do a job at this level, but we've got other options, so I'd use Kev as an impact sub when needed.

4 - N'Gog

He has a good game once every two months. He has the talent, but doesn't seem to have the mentality to use it to his full potential. I'm losing patience, but he would move up my preference list if he got his head down, and started to improve his performances.

5 - Afobe

He didn't show anything at Huddersfield to suggest he will be a prolific striker, and he hasn't here either. He has scored the odd goal for us though, so maybe there is a slim hope. He won't break into Arsenal's first team though, that's for sure!

6 - Eaves

He has proven himself at League 2 level, but this is the Championship and we have a few options up front now. I imagine he will leave the club without getting a chance ala Danny Ward.

7 & 8 - Sampson & Odelusi

Not a lot to say really, they're both still kids.

9 - O'Halloran

He is currently at Tranmere on loan, I hope he has a good wash when he gets back to Bolton.

2Our striking options Empty Re: Our striking options Sun Jan 20 2013, 15:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Most of the time, DF is likely to opt for one striker at the moment. That may change when he has the defence the way he wants them but his preference historically has been for 1 up front.

So it seems to me that we are carrying a lot of strikers that won't get a game unless they can fit into an already over-crowded midfield pack. I reckon DF will get rid of at least two or will just wind it down at the end of the season - Afobe will return to his club, SKD will (be) retire(d), Ngog will be sold, and the rest will have to compete for one regular place. Strikers 6 to 9 will have to do something special to be in contention.

Sordell is probably the best long-term prospect, but he will have to be patient, keep his head in the right place and do quite a bit more to win Dougie's confidence. Dougie comes across as a bit of a "stickler" to me and not a man who will tolerate any behaviour he doesn't like. He seems to get ideas and sticks with them with no regard to what anyone else says about it, including the fans. He's his own man and rightly or wrongly, he will stick to his guns and won't care about who he upsets along the way. It's his way or the highway and Sordell needs to learn that quickly. I think Dougie sees him as a direct replacement for SKD when he goes, but for now SKD is Dougie's first choice and Sordell needs to recognise that too.

3Our striking options Empty Re: Our striking options Mon Jan 21 2013, 16:40

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Who cares, Dougie will always pick Kevin Davies.

4Our striking options Empty Re: Our striking options Tue Jan 22 2013, 09:43

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I wanted KD out in the summer, not for belief that he'd be of no use whatsoever but that he would be used inappropriately, as in the previous 18 months. I'm also sceptical about the phrase "staying on on reduced wages". Reduced? Sure. Economical? Not necessarily. The club has lost all sense of value for money in recent years with a wage bill continuously larger than half the Premier League. Davies has previously been the club's highest earner and had PL interest in January. There's no way he's here on the cheap.
All in all, he has done a respectable job, though one that for the best part has made it difficult to play an effective attacking game.

Craig Davies caused us all sorts of problems at the Reebok in November - quick with a good eye for goal. The likes of Norwich and Swansea aren't comfortable PL outfits now because they spent a shitload on big names. They got the best out of previously lower league players like Davies. I'd be excited, only the club's recent habit of bringing in but bench warmers kills that slightly. We'll see.

People forget Afobe is 19. He has been a disappointment for the majority, but there have been glimpses of potential - quick, two-footed, scored a few goals. It doesn't help sticking him out wide.

5Our striking options Empty Re: Our striking options Tue Jan 22 2013, 10:12

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Total agreement with your selection I think

6Our striking options Empty Re: Our striking options Tue Jan 22 2013, 10:57

doffcocker wrote:I wanted KD out in the summer, not for belief that he'd be of no use whatsoever but that he would be used inappropriately, as in the previous 18 months. I'm also sceptical about the phrase "staying on on reduced wages". Reduced? Sure. Economical? Not necessarily. The club has lost all sense of value for money in recent years with a wage bill continuously larger than half the Premier League. Davies has previously been the club's highest earner and had PL interest in January. There's no way he's here on the cheap.
All in all, he has done a respectable job, though one that for the best part has made it difficult to play an effective attacking game.

Craig Davies caused us all sorts of problems at the Reebok in November - quick with a good eye for goal. The likes of Norwich and Swansea aren't comfortable PL outfits now because they spent a shitload on big names. They got the best out of previously lower league players like Davies. I'd be excited, only the club's recent habit of bringing in but bench warmers kills that slightly. We'll see.

People forget Afobe is 19. He has been a disappointment for the majority, but there have been glimpses of potential - quick, two-footed, scored a few goals. It doesn't help sticking him out wide.

I don't really see the point in Afobe to be honest, I'd rather send him back so Sordell had less competition for game time.

Think everything else you've said is bang on, I'm excited to see Craig Davies given a regular run too. Considering how tight our budget is I'm sure Dougie hasn't brought him in to sit on the bench (I hope), I want to see him thrown in soon.

I am a big fan of SKD but as you say he shouldn't be our number one striker at his age, they don't use him correctly. He'd have far more impact off the bench and I think a more dynamic front man would suit our midfielders better.

7Our striking options Empty Re: Our striking options Wed Jan 23 2013, 00:21

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Afobe should not be keeping others out of the team IMO. Nowt against him but he will be off soon and we need to use "Our" strikers.

8Our striking options Empty Re: Our striking options Wed Jan 23 2013, 12:32

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

The thing is Afobe isn't even used as a striker when he comes on, he's always shoved out wide right which will never give him a great chance of showing his potential as a striker. Having said that he hasn't exactly set the league a light when he has come on so what coyle ever saw in him god only knows.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum