Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Relegation Options

+6
FullofSprite
scottjames30
Norpig
luckyPeterpiper
MartinBWFC
wanderlust
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Relegation Options Empty Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 15:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Putting aside all the permutations re administration, new ownership, selling our best players etc I'd like to know what everybody thinks about this...

We are very likely to go down this year. Most of the senior players aren't up to the job and we have a transfer embargo and no money so we can't replace them for now.

1. At what point do we need to accept that we are going down and start making moves to protect our assets as best as possible and make preparations for life in League One by promoting the Development squad and giving them all first team experience until the end of the season?
  2. What is the best way to get rid of 10 or so senior players in January? Can we legally terminate contracts? If not, how can we get rid?
  3. Would you retain Rob Hall and bring him back to be part of the new team?
  4. What would your ideal team to prepare for League One be?
  5. Would losing every game between now and the end of the season be a problem if we gave young players experience at this level?

2Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 15:20

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Putting aside all the permutations re administration, new ownership, selling our best players etc I'd like to know what everybody thinks about this...

We are very likely to go down this year. Most of the senior players aren't up to the job and we have a transfer embargo and no money so we can't replace them for now.

1. At what point do we need to accept that we are going down and start making moves to protect our assets as best as possible and make preparations for life in League One by promoting the Development squad and giving them all first team experience until the end of the season?
  2. What is the best way to get rid of 10 or so senior players in January? Can we legally terminate contracts? If not, how can we get rid?
  3. Would you retain Rob Hall and bring him back to be part of the new team?
  4. What would your ideal team to prepare for League One be?
  5. Would losing every game between now and the end of the season be a problem if we gave young players experience at this level?

Number 5 would be a disaster, imagine their confidence having been spanked every week.

3Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 15:53

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

1. Now. 
2. Admin may solve that problem for us as the administrator will look to offload players and will try to negotiate smaller payoffs for those that no one wants to buy. 
3. Yes.
4. One with fight and confidence, a mix of youth and experience that can blend well and show some skill, same as in any league.
5. Catastrophe would be a better word for the reason Martin stated. We've already got too many players who are so used to losing they've forgotten how to win, doing that to the development squad lads would be rank insanity.

4Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 16:24

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i think we have to accept relegation now and start to rebuild. I would sell anyone we could get even a small fee for (except Clough and Vela but that would be a big ask). I'm thinking of people like Trotter, Medo, Wheater, Dervite and even Mavies. They won't be here next season so we may as well let them go now.

With them leaving it would give a few of the youngsters a chance to come through and still have a few senior players in the team as well, We couldn't just let the youngsters in all at the same time as it would wreck their confidence. I would also bring back the likes of Threlkeld and White and get them more involved as next season they will be needed.

Not sure about Hall, he may do a good job in league 1 but would he want to come back?

The likes of Wilson, Feeney and even Madine would be ok in league 1 as well, who knows we might even see us winning a few games  Smile

5Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 16:44

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope we go bust and go to liquidation, then we can start from the bottom, F.C Bolton or summat.

Build a ground in Bolton and get the hell out of Horwich, that's the best option for me..

6Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 18:04

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

luckyPeterpiper wrote:1. Now. 
2. Admin may solve that problem for us as the administrator will look to offload players and will try to negotiate smaller payoffs for those that no one wants to buy. 
3. Yes.
4. One with fight and confidence, a mix of youth and experience that can blend well and show some skill, same as in any league.
5. Catastrophe would be a better word for the reason Martin stated. We've already got too many players who are so used to losing they've forgotten how to win, doing that to the development squad lads would be rank insanity.
Admin bit was put to Iles from BN.

He was against it for two reasons.

Admin would cost money (so we may have fire sales to put us into admin) apparently.

Some good people will lose their jobs.

From my perspective

If we have a takeover those "good people" will lose their jobs anyway - if new set up do their jobs properly.

Admin costing money well we're losing money everyday as it is - we may end up jumping to liquidation

7Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 20:27

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Merge with Chorley, make a North West super club. We could probably fill Victory Park.

8Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 20:46

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Merge with Chorley, make a North West super club. We could probably fill Victory Park.
Right now we'd struggle to fill the main stand at Astley Park.  affraid Sleep scratch :lazy: :whistle:
And yes Nat, I know it doesn't have one.   :biggrin:

Last edited by luckyPeterpiper on Sun Dec 27 2015, 20:47; edited 1 time in total

9Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 20:46

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just shut up shop.

10Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 20:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Just shut up shop.

Would you miss not going to Bolton games?

11Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 21:01

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pull yourselves together men! 2 wins and we're back in the mix.
Not easy to see where they're gonna come from,but lets starch those stiff upper lips,and give those Blackburn chappies what for. I'll fight them on the beaches if necessary(weather permitting).
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

12Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 21:03

boltonbonce wrote:Pull yourselves together men! 2 wins and we're back in the mix.
Not easy to see where they're gonna come from,but lets starch those stiff upper lips,and give those Blackburn chappies what for. I'll fight them on the beaches if necessary(weather permitting).
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

:clap:

13Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 21:06

dubzee

David Ngog
David Ngog

Haha brilliant bonce... I'm all for it Very Happy

http://www.xwirenetworks.co.uk

14Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 21:07

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We shall fight them at Horwich Parkway, we shall fight them in Scan and in the Vue cinema, we shall fight them on the hill and in KFC, we shall fight them in the turnstiles and in the dressing rooms, we shall fight them on the pitch and we shall never surrender. 

If the Trotter Empire should last for a thousand years let men look back and say "This was their finest hour ...."  :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk:

15Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Sun Dec 27 2015, 21:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A line is drawn. ::bwfc::

16Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Mon Dec 28 2015, 10:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Putting aside all the permutations re administration, new ownership, selling our best players etc I'd like to know what everybody thinks about this...

5. Would losing every game between now and the end of the season be a problem if we gave young players experience at this level?

Number 5 would be a disaster (catastrophe according to LPP) imagine their confidence having been spanked every week.
I don't think this would be a disaster.
The current first X1 are getting spanked every week and the youngsters know it (mind you so are they in the U21s and U18s so it's not an alien concept to them)
They also understand the financial difficulties we are in AND that we are likely to get relegated.

So what an amazing BOOST to their confidence it would be for the manager to turn round to them and tell them that THEY are the future of the club and that we have every confidence in them to bring the club back in the next few years so here is a chance to prove that confidence is well deserved,

They have been chosen for fast tracking into the first team AND it doesn't matter at all if they lose every game - it's down to them to show that they can fight and perform at Championship level so that they will be well prepared for life in League 1.

This is their big audition and I believe they would grab it with both hands. They would be given a big stage and a safety net with no pressure to get results - but they are playing for their places and future with the club.

And regardless of their attitude towards that philosophy, they would know that they would be in the shop window so their football future hangs on how they grow over the next few months.

It's a "no lose" situation for BWFC as far as I can see. Kids either succeed or fail. If they succeed we either get new players on the cheap or they acquire a saleable value in which case we can get the money. If they fail, we can clear them out and make way for others. Providing we manage their confidence between now and the end of the season by reiterating we accept relegation ergo no pressure from BWFC - just from themselves to improve their performances - the club can't lose.

Point is it's exactly the type of "shit or get off the pan" strategy desperately needed to stop us repeating the same old mistakes until there's no time left to prepare properly for L1.

17Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Tue Dec 29 2015, 01:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Look at how well Holding is doing. He's had a trial by fire recently and today he looked confident and assured even though he was playing at right back. His performance was up there with Wheater's IMO. Clough was OK too although he still looks a bit lightweight and was easily dispossessed a few times. Still, the principle of testing the kids seems a good one.

18Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Tue Dec 29 2015, 12:41

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Look at how well Holding is doing. He's had a trial by fire recently and today he looked confident and assured even though he was playing at right back. His performance was up there with Wheater's IMO. Clough was OK too although he still looks a bit lightweight and was easily dispossessed a few times. Still, the principle of testing the kids seems a good one.
Hi lusty, I responded to the question you asked which was would it be bad if the kids came in and got spanked every week. I think that would be a catastrophe for the reasons I stated. 

A better question might have been would they lose every match? I'm less certain of that than I was initially because the kids that are getting a game are starting to look pretty good. I disagree with your assessment of Clough yesterday, I thought he did very well but the BRFC centre halves in particular stuck very close to him all day and he doesn't yet have the sheer mass needed to outmuscle them. A few decent size steaks and some time in the gym will help him add some bulk. Not so sure I'd wax quite as lyrical about Holding but as you say he was played out of his best position and at least held his own. 

Overall it was a good day yesterday and brought a much needed bright spot to an otherwise awful period in the club's history but whether or not it will be a turning point remains to be seen.

19Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Tue Dec 29 2015, 13:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Look at how well Holding is doing. He's had a trial by fire recently and today he looked confident and assured even though he was playing at right back. His performance was up there with Wheater's IMO. Clough was OK too although he still looks a bit lightweight and was easily dispossessed a few times. Still, the principle of testing the kids seems a good one.
Hi lusty, I responded to the question you asked which was would it be bad if the kids came in and got spanked every week. I think that would be a catastrophe for the reasons I stated. 

A better question might have been would they lose every match? I'm less certain of that than I was initially because the kids that are getting a game are starting to look pretty good.
I'm not suggesting they would lose every week but the important element is that they should be told that at long as they do their best, and show improvement they would not get pilloried if they did lose i.e. give them the opportunity to play without pressure. 

This is of course a psychological move because they would be playing to book their places in the squad for next season. And they would add their own pressure of wanting to prove they are good enough to wear the shirt.

They might indeed win a few but the important thing is that they are fast tracked into the senior squad and gain experience at a higher level than they would be expected to play in next year.

20Relegation Options Empty Re: Relegation Options Tue Dec 29 2015, 14:37

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

A better question might have been would they lose every match? I'm less certain of that than I was initially because the kids that are getting a game are starting to look pretty good.
I'm not suggesting they would lose every week but the important element is that they should be told that at long as they do their best, and show improvement they would not get pilloried if they did lose i.e. give them the opportunity to play without pressure. 

This is of course a psychological move because they would be playing to book their places in the squad for next season. And they would add their own pressure of wanting to prove they are good enough to wear the shirt.

They might indeed win a few but the important thing is that they are fast tracked into the senior squad and gain experience at a higher level than they would be expected to play in next year.
I agree they should be blooded and soon but I'd be very careful about telling them we've already accepted relegation. As long as it's mathematically possible to avoid the drop they should be told that's the aim. However if we don't make it they should also be told no one blames them and that as long as they gave their very best the manager is happy. Pressure is a part of football regardless of level and while I would do all I can to minimise it by not having unrealistic expectations piled onto their shoulders I certainly wouldn't tell them there isn't any at all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum