Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Relegation Options

+6
FullofSprite
scottjames30
Norpig
luckyPeterpiper
MartinBWFC
wanderlust
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Relegation Options - Page 2 Empty Re: Relegation Options Tue Dec 29 2015, 15:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Look at how well Holding is doing. He's had a trial by fire recently and today he looked confident and assured even though he was playing at right back. His performance was up there with Wheater's IMO. Clough was OK too although he still looks a bit lightweight and was easily dispossessed a few times. Still, the principle of testing the kids seems a good one.
Hi lusty, I responded to the question you asked which was would it be bad if the kids came in and got spanked every week. I think that would be a catastrophe for the reasons I stated. 

A better question might have been would they lose every match? I'm less certain of that than I was initially because the kids that are getting a game are starting to look pretty good.
I'm not suggesting they would lose every week but the important element is that they should be told that at long as they do their best, and show improvement they would not get pilloried if they did lose i.e. give them the opportunity to play without pressure. 

This is of course a psychological move because they would be playing to book their places in the squad for next season. And they would add their own pressure of wanting to prove they are good enough to wear the shirt.

They might indeed win a few but the important thing is that they are fast tracked into the senior squad and gain experience at a higher level than they would be expected to play in next year.
I agree they should be blooded and soon but I'd be very careful about telling them we've already accepted relegation. As long as it's mathematically possible to avoid the drop they should be told that's the aim. However if we don't make it they should also be told no one blames them and that as long as they gave their very best the manager is happy. Pressure is a part of football regardless of level and while I would do all I can to minimise it by not having unrealistic expectations piled onto their shoulders I certainly wouldn't tell them there isn't any at all.
Yep - that's pretty much what I'm trying to say except that the pressure will be self-generated - which is normal for a youngster trying to make a career for themselves.

22Relegation Options - Page 2 Empty Re: Relegation Options Tue Dec 29 2015, 15:20

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Look at how well Holding is doing. He's had a trial by fire recently and today he looked confident and assured even though he was playing at right back. His performance was up there with Wheater's IMO. Clough was OK too although he still looks a bit lightweight and was easily dispossessed a few times. Still, the principle of testing the kids seems a good one.
Hi lusty, I responded to the question you asked which was would it be bad if the kids came in and got spanked every week. I think that would be a catastrophe for the reasons I stated. 

A better question might have been would they lose every match? I'm less certain of that than I was initially because the kids that are getting a game are starting to look pretty good.
I'm not suggesting they would lose every week but the important element is that they should be told that at long as they do their best, and show improvement they would not get pilloried if they did lose i.e. give them the opportunity to play without pressure. 

This is of course a psychological move because they would be playing to book their places in the squad for next season. And they would add their own pressure of wanting to prove they are good enough to wear the shirt.

They might indeed win a few but the important thing is that they are fast tracked into the senior squad and gain experience at a higher level than they would be expected to play in next year.
I agree they should be blooded and soon but I'd be very careful about telling them we've already accepted relegation. As long as it's mathematically possible to avoid the drop they should be told that's the aim. However if we don't make it they should also be told no one blames them and that as long as they gave their very best the manager is happy. Pressure is a part of football regardless of level and while I would do all I can to minimise it by not having unrealistic expectations piled onto their shoulders I certainly wouldn't tell them there isn't any at all.
Yep - that's pretty much what I'm trying to say except that the pressure will be self-generated - which is normal for a youngster trying to make a career for themselves.
For once we seem to agree then.  Laughing

23Relegation Options - Page 2 Empty Re: Relegation Options Tue Dec 29 2015, 15:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

For once we seem to agree then.  Laughing
Took you a while but you got there in the end. Smile

Of course we may never get to the point of accepting the inevitability of relegation but if the worst happens and we go into admin with a 12 point deduction and a firesale we should fight to keep the kids and implement this approach straight away IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum