Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Briton Sentenced To Death For Drug Smuggling

+10
Bernard Dennis Park
Sgt. Bash
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
bwfc71
Boggersbelief
BoltonTillIDie
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A grandmother from Teesside is given the death penalty after being found guilty of smuggling cocaine in her luggage.

British woman Lindsay Sandiford has been sentenced to death for drug smuggling on the Indonesian island of Bali.

The 56-year-old grandmother had been found guilty of violating the country's strict drug laws.

Sandiford was arrested in May 2012 at Bali airport when customs officers found 3.8kg of cocaine worth £1.6m in her luggage. She claimed she had been forced to smuggle the drugs into Bali from Thailand by a criminal gang.

Prosecutors announced in December that they would be recommending a 15-year jail sentence, after Sandiford agreed to co-operate in a sting operation after her arrest in which police swooped on four other suspects.

Delivering their verdict, a judge panel headed by Amser Simanjuntak said that Sandiford had damaged the image of Bali as a tourism destination and weakened the government's programme of drug annihilation.

"We find Lindsay Sandiford convincingly and legally guilty of importing narcotics," said Simanjuntak.

In her witness statement, Sandiford said: "I would like to begin by apologising to the Republic of Indonesia and the Indonesian people for my involvement.

"I would never have become involved in something like this but the lives of my children were in danger and I felt I had to protect them."

The Foreign Office confirmed that the suspects being held include Rachel Dougall and fellow British nationals Julian Ponder and Paul Beales. An Indian man was also arrested.

Dougall, whose young daughter is reportedly being cared for by their maid and gardener on the island, has claimed she was the victim of a "fit-up".

Reprieve, a charity which seeks to enforce human rights for prisoners, said Sandiford was targeted by drug traffickers.

Spokeswoman Harriet McCulloch said: "Lindsay was targeted by drug traffickers who exploited her vulnerability and made threats against her children.

"Following her arrest, she was interrogated by the Indonesian police without a translator, legal representation or the assistance of the British Embassy for 10 days.

A statement by Dr Jennifer Fleetwood, an expert on the coercion of women in the international drug trade, was also read out, which suggested that Sandiford's "vulnerability" would have made her an ideal target for drugs traffickers.

"There is evidence to suggest that a trafficker would seek someone who was vulnerable. Having reviewed extracts from Lindsay's medical records I know that Lindsay has a history of mental health issues.

"This may have unfortunately made her an attractive target for threats, manipulation and coercion by one or more parties over a period of time, which led to her being stopped at Ngurah Rai International Airport".

Briton Sentenced To Death For Drug Smuggling 159055062-1-522x293

http://news.sky.com/story/1041142/briton-sentenced-to-death-for-drug-smuggling

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Quite sad that the death penalty is being used... If she was taken advantage of then it's a horrible situation to be in. What would you do?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

She won't be executed. Not a chance

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

She knew what she was doing and had many a chance not to do it! Any threat is literally not a threat but a fear created, but can be quashed anytime. She alsoi knew what the most could happen to her if/when she was caught. Therefore she only has herself to blame, and if that means the death penalty then so be it. Indonesia is not the UK and a UK citizen should not rely on being British to get away from the death penalty. The sentance is normal for what/amount she did, therefore it is only right she faces the same punishment.

Just a pity we removed hanging in the sixties, and only more recently removed the last remnants of any death sentance from our judiciary, just a much a shame that France ended the guillotine punishment in 1977!!!

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just ridiculous for a bit of coke.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Just ridiculous for a bit of coke.

it's THEIR law!

People expect foreigners who come here to be treated the same as ourselves within the eye of the law so why would it be any different when we go over to their countries and we are treated the same as them in the eyes of their laws!?

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's not that she's a Brit and should therefore be punished in accordance with British law, it's that the punishment, in the modern world, seems ridiculous.

I might watch Midnight Express, tonight!

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

bwfc71 wrote:

it's THEIR law!

People expect foreigners who come here to be treated the same as ourselves within the eye of the law so why would it be any different when we go over to their countries and we are treated the same as them in the eyes of their laws!?

Absolutely right! If I am in a country that bans alcohol I won't drink alcohol even though I think it's a pretty stupid law. Interesting fact: the word alcohol is derived from Arabic.

Another interesting fact: every time a Brit is arrested for drug smuggling abroad it has been "planted" on them. Apparently no Brits ever engage in drug smuggling, or if they do they never get caught.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:

it's THEIR law!

I'm not bothered who's law it is, i can still have an opinion on whether think it's just or not.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I'm not bothered who's law it is, i can still have an opinion on whether think it's just or not.

You don't think drug dealers and smugglers should be put to death?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Of course not, considering i don't believe in the death penalty.

and certainly not for something so meaningless.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There used to be a saying, ' Things go better with Coke ' What a load of bullshit.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Of course not, considering i don't believe in the death penalty.

and certainly not for something so meaningless.

Cocaine is meaningless????
Shocked

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why is it meaningful?

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It destroys people lives and yet you say its meaningless?

Those who are mules or those who actually sell it are the scourge of the planet and deserve such actions as the death penlaty as that is what they are doing to the users - murdering them, but in most cases a slow and very painful death.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It's a harsh sentence IMO. I'm not against the death penalty, in fact I'd like to see it's revival in Britain for certain crimes. But the punishment has to fit the crime. A prison sentence is sufficient for drugs crime. The death penalty should be reserved for the most despicable and vile people produced by society (The Moors murderers, the Soham killer etc..)

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I love it when Hipster starts WUMing.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:It destroys people lives and yet you say its meaningless?

Those who are mules or those who actually sell it are the scourge of the planet and deserve such actions as the death penlaty as that is what they are doing to the users - murdering them, but in most cases a slow and very painful death.

The users are choosing to use it Chris.

I assume you feel the same way about your local barmaid and that Tesco worker who serves your fags.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster is bound to be pro-drugs, he lives in Aberdeen. What else has he got to look forward to?

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

What a silly old cow.

Getting caught is for losers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum