Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who do you want now NGog is with the Welsh?

+9
Natasha Whittam
Boggersbelief
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
doffcocker
boltonbonce
wanderlust
Culcheth_White
BL3White
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

BL3White

BL3White
David Ngog
David Ngog

Simple question really... NGog joined Swansea today on a PERMANENT deal for an undosclosed fee. On my way back from driving him there I was wondering who would you want out of any realistic targets for his sale income/saved wages. I'd like us to loan a goalscorer with a bit of flair. And have a run at maybe Dawson. Ngog was on more than enough for two players and Dawson cant get a game atm.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I don't think it really matters who we want. Dougie has his mind set on Joe Mason.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think if Dougie is targetting 4 players on the basis of having got Ngog off the wage bill and receiving half a million he'll be looking at loan deals.
If he loans premiership players like Dawson and McNaughton, their combined wage bills are likely to exceed Ngog's salary but the half mill would give him some leeway - but then it will be spent and at the end of the season we'll be no better off as a club.
Loaning players to have a run at promotion is a waste of time from this position, so I'd rather see the money going into a more sustainable option that will benefit us in the long term.

I'd like to see the defence sorted out before anything else, but not a temporary/expensive fix like the one being proposed.

So I'm hoping that Dougie will cast his net wider and find either lower cost defenders that can do a job to get us safely through the season, or rising stars on a permanent basis.

Same approach re midfielders/striker. I'd prefer rising stars to big names.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As far as a striker goes,I'd like us to go for Sam Baldock at Bristol City. Might get him at a decent price.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Culcheth_White wrote:I don't think it really matters who we want. Dougie has his mind set on Joe Mason.

As a lone striker, Joe Mason is quite simply pathetic. And let's face it, "lone striker" is the job description.

I hear he might be on his way to Bournemouth for £2m so hopefully we've seen the last of him.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If i was looking to get a striker on basically no budget I'd certainly be looking into the lower leagues or for someone in the youth team to start getting 10-15 minutes a game, slowly building to a starting sport. 

Lets face it, we're not going to go up this season so while we don't have strikers banging in the goals lets see what we have and then can stick or twist at the end of the season.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For sure we are not going up this season.

What would be wrong in saving our money (for the next transfer window) and not getting any loan deals in and instead giving our reserves game time instead?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Obviously the threat of relegation. 

Not sure it's justified with this group but "senior" pro's generally get that reputation that they're able to handle "the fight" more so than youngsters.

but still don't see the harm in one or two of the young players getting spot minutes.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leigh griffiths.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

doffcocker wrote:
Culcheth_White wrote:I don't think it really matters who we want. Dougie has his mind set on Joe Mason.

As a lone striker, Joe Mason is quite simply pathetic. And let's face it, "lone striker" is the job description.

I hear he might be on his way to Bournemouth for £2m so hopefully we've seen the last of him.
Apparently, Mason's proposed move to Bournemouth has fallen through, hence the reason why Dougie still wants him. I agree with you about the lone striker role though, he's not cut out for that role, imo.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is no guarantee that spending money now on average-at-best strikers will be any more of a guarantee of our survival than bringing on our promising young front men like Odelusi and Clough.

Assuming that Dougie has enough sense not to waste money on a fool's errand promotion bid this season, we should be focusing on the longer term development of our squad. Better to invest in players with potential for the development squad and give them more first team opportunities to bring them on IMO.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie openly admitted at the AGM that the current crop of youngsters aren't good enough.

Fuck me, they must be pretty dire if they're no better than Knight, Mills & Baptiste.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Dougie openly admitted at the AGM that the current crop of youngsters aren't good enough.

Fuck me, they must be pretty dire if they're no better than Knight, Mills & Baptiste.

...and yet Clough keeps scoring at the lower level and Odelusi looks no worse than Cavies, Ngog, Beckford etc when he plays for the first team.
This thread is about how we might spend the money freed up by the sale of Ngog and the suggestion was to buy better quality youngsters with which to develop the team rather than overpay for established players who have already tried and failed at this level.

At least with youngsters they haven't failed yet and they're still in with a chance of coming good. Plus they're a lot cheaper so we could afford a few to hedge our bets with.

We really are fucked, aren't we?

We're down to one fit striker and some bloke on loan who is a massive gamble.

The defence is leakier than a busted colander, we're desperate for a left back and the centre-halves are playing like they've just met each other for the first time.

And we're skint......

Happy days.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:We really are fucked, aren't we?

The defence is leakier than a busted colander, we're desperate for a left back and the centre-halves are playing like they've just met each other for the first time.

And we're skint......

Happy days.
 but we will all be on the chatbox later no doubt!

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Norpig wrote:
But of course! Very Happy

(We're Nuts!)

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:
Norpig wrote:
But of course! Very Happy

(We're Nuts!)

Can't argue with that Keegan!  lol! 

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:We really are fucked, aren't we?

And we're skint......

Despite which some fans still think Dougie's job is to get us promoted this season.
Well spotted that man.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Given the situation we're currently in surely at least trying Sordell, Eaves, Odelusi or even Wilkinson or Clough has to be more sensible than bringing in loans who will in the end deliver nothing. Hopefully the new Striker will be successful but given his previous record there's no reason to be confident of that and even if he does surprise us it will only raise his value beyond our reach. 

Of course we already know our Management (Gartside) has no idea when it comes to finances but surely even they must see the waste and futility in loans rather than trying your own. It's certainly not easy for Dougie but he really does seem to make a hard job even harder.

Lusty,

If you're gonna quote me, please don't add bits that you've made up.

The wife does that and it's annoying.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum