Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Wine Topic

+6
xmiles
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
Chairmanda
boltonbonce
Mr Magoo
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Wine Topic Empty The Wine Topic Tue Dec 16 2014, 21:52

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Get on with it you gayers.

2The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Tue Dec 16 2014, 21:55

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Greetings from our President. (straight in,no messing about)

The Wine Topic 287684_1

3The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Tue Dec 16 2014, 22:05

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

That looks like Brucie relaxing in his garden at Wentworth where I met him in a hilarious, heart warming anecdote. It's not dismal because it's a hidden wine....(see what I did there?)

4The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Tue Dec 16 2014, 22:08

Why did i think it would be a moaning topic? (I know its whine not wine but magoo is the op)

5The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Tue Dec 16 2014, 22:10

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Greetings from our President. (straight in,no messing about)

The Wine Topic 287684_1

Top Man! :like:

I read somewhere that TV presenter Phillip Schofield has a very substantial and expensive wine collection. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for a bottle of Plonk. I have eaten in some tidy restaurants and I have often found that the wine is woefully overpriced. I can't stand pretentious folk who pretend they can identify the grape and the vineyard just from the sniff of a cork. It's bollocks and we all know it.

Gordon Ramsay proves that some wine critics don't know their arse from their elbow.

6The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Tue Dec 16 2014, 22:10

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The Wine Topic Big_bo11

7The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Tue Dec 16 2014, 22:17

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chairmanda wrote:That looks like Brucie relaxing in his garden at Wentworth where I met him in a hilarious, heart warming anecdote. It's not dismal because it's a hidden wine....(see what I did there?)
One day I'm gonna get this anecdote.
I'm biding my time. bounce

8The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Tue Dec 16 2014, 22:27

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Magoo would like this. Goes very well with pulled pork according to the reviews.
I've found it goes with pretty much anything.
Under a tenner too.
The Wine Topic Rib%20Shack%20NVweb

9The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Tue Dec 16 2014, 22:27

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

y2johnny wrote:Why did i think it would be a moaning topic? (I know its whine not wine but magoo is the op)
:wtf2: :stfu:

10The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Wed Dec 17 2014, 10:59

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Reebok Trotter wrote:
I read somewhere that TV presenter Phillip Schofield has a very substantial and expensive wine collection. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for a bottle of Plonk. I have eaten in some tidy restaurants and I have often found that the wine is woefully overpriced. I can't stand pretentious folk who pretend they can identify the grape and the vineyard just from the sniff of a cork. It's bollocks and we all know it.

Gordon Ramsay proves that some wine critics don't know their arse from their elbow.

I think this video shows that he does know something about wine. He totally nails the first two and he identifies the third and says it isn't worth the ludicrous price charged for it.

I like wine but would never spend a fortune on it. In terms of value most experts would say that lies in the area of approximately £7 to £12 a bottle and from my experience I would agree with that. However wine is to be enjoyed and if you like a cheaper wine there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

11The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Wed Dec 17 2014, 16:12

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I used to like Bulls Blood but haven't seen it for a while.
I went for a wine tasting afternoon in Byrnes of Clitheroe a couple of weeks ago. What it established for me was that price isn't the dictator!

12The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Wed Dec 17 2014, 16:25

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to go to the trade shows when I had a restaurant.

best tips are:
* find and stick with grape varietals you like e.g. Chilean Merlot, South African Pinotage etc. and bear them in mind when tasting new stuff
* there are some perfectly acceptable new world wines around a fiver if you can find them
* french wines at the lower end of the market tend to be overpriced for what they are
* germans make excellent red wine - but tend to keep it for themselves!
* the ratio between price and quality is logarythmic - the difference between a £20 (trade) bottle and a £50 bottle is minimal and the difference between that and £100 bottle is even smaller. You can pay a high price to smooth out perceived imperfections and some wine posers are willing to do it.
* drink what you like and ignore the crap about wine etiquette. If you want a rugged Shiraz with fish - have it. The customer is always right.
* Always try to oxygenate the wine regardless of price. Suggest decanter or swishing around in the glass for a couple of minutes rather than farting in it through a straw. If you're paying good money for wine, might as well drink it at it's best.

13The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Wed Dec 17 2014, 16:35

I may well get shot by the purists for this, but some years ago somebody (who was a Muslim and so didn't drink) brought a bottle of sweet red wine to our house as a gift.

I smiled politely and opened it to have with the meal, thinking "I bet this won't be too clever" but you know what, it was wonderful.

It tasted really fruity and there was none of the bitter after taste you can get with some reds.

I'd never had sweet red before but I really enjoyed it and it made me realise what a complete and utter snobby tugboat I'd always been about wine.

I learnt a valuable lesson that day.

14The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Wed Dec 17 2014, 19:59

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If I'm getting a white I usually go for Australian or an NZ Sauvignon Blanc.
Yellow Tail Chardonnay is good stuff at £5 a bottle in Asda at the minute.

If it's red, again it's usually Australian, or a Rioja.

I don't see the point in paying £4 for a bottle if I'm not gonna really enjoy it (not that you can't get a decent bottle for £4), but I don't see the point in paying £10 either.

15The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Wed Dec 17 2014, 20:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I am currently enjoying a bottle of Wolf Blass Red Label Chardonnay Semillon (2013 grape) all to myself.  :biggrin:

Wolf Blass is usually a more expensive wine but Morrisons had the 3 for £10 on this so bought 18 bockles! Cool

It was really meant for crimbo but ah fuck it! Very Happy

16The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Thu Dec 18 2014, 17:13

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:I am currently enjoying a bottle of Wolf Blass Red Label Chardonnay Semillon (2013 grape) all to myself.  :biggrin:

Wolf Blass is usually a more expensive wine but Morrisons had the 3 for £10 on this so bought 18 bockles! Cool

It was really meant for crimbo but ah fuck it! Very Happy

LOL. My missus made the same mistake - bought the "Xmas wine" 2 weeks ago. Ha!

17The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Thu Dec 18 2014, 17:23

Whilst we're on Christmas booze, the Tesco in Farnworth are doing 15 bottles of Budweiser for a tenner.

Which is a good deal.

Unless you walk another six feet to the right and discover the cases containing 20 bottles for eleven quid.

A pound more, but five extra bottles.

Even I can work out that that's a better deal.

18The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Thu Dec 18 2014, 18:04

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Whilst we're on Christmas booze, the Tesco in Farnworth are doing 15 bottles of Budweiser for a tenner.

Which is a good deal.

Unless you walk another six feet to the right and discover the cases containing 20 bottles for eleven quid.

Maybe the bottles in the 15 case are 330ml whereas the bottles in the 20 case are 275ml ?

19The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Thu Dec 18 2014, 18:17

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Breadman wrote:Whilst we're on Christmas booze, the Tesco in Farnworth are doing 15 bottles of Budweiser for a tenner.

Which is a good deal.

Maybe the bottles in the 15 case are 330ml whereas the bottles in the 20 case are 275ml ?
ASDA are doing 3 cases for £20. (12x300ml per case)

20The Wine Topic Empty Re: The Wine Topic Thu Dec 18 2014, 18:21

Nope, they're all the same size, RT.

I think it's just a glitch.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum