Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » How Has David Beckham Missed Out On A Knighthood Again?

How Has David Beckham Missed Out On A Knighthood Again?

+5
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
okocha
Natasha Whittam
Soul Kitchen
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

With the Queen's New Year Honours list details  just released how has David Smarmy once again missed out on a tap on each shoulder?
He's been putting himself about again this year, and importantly helping his eldest catch Rsole Whinger's eye, only to see the less deserving long serving and much loved actor John Hurt beat him to the punch!!
Well done to Esther Rantzen though for all she's done for disadvantaged kids, pity she missed Saville's antics, in becoming a Dame.
Still, Nat can give DB a shoulder to cry on as her dreams have still been unanswered for recognition?
Obviously winning a couple of fictional bullshit awards count for fuck all in Lizzy's eyes, and long may it continue!?!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:With the Queen's New Year Honours list details  just released how has David Smarmy once again missed out on a tap on each shoulder?
He's been putting himself about again this year, and importantly helping his eldest catch Rsole Whinger's eye, only to see the less deserving long serving and much loved actor John Hurt beat him to the punch!!
Well done to Esther Rantzen though for all she's done for disadvantaged kids, pity she missed Saville's antics, in becoming a Dame.
Still, Nat can give DB a shoulder to cry on as her dreams have still been unanswered for recognition?
Obviously winning a couple of fictional bullshit awards count for fuck all in Lizzy's eyes, and long may it continue!?!

There's nothing more disgusting than the New Year Honours List. A load of rich twats being rewarded for being rich twats.

Joan Collins and John Hurt for example, being honoured for "services to acting". What a load of shite. They were simply doing their job, and being paid silly amounts of money for doing it.

Then there's James Corden and Sheridan Smith, what the fuck? Corden is a gameshow host! Smith an average actress best known for her role in a chavvy show watched by nobody.

Did that bloke who caught Ebola get an honour? As soon as he was Ebola-free he was back in Sierra Leone helping the locals. Surely he is more deserving than some actor?

It's a fucking disgrace and makes you ashamed to be British.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I'm generally happy with those very often deserving winners of knighthoods, who are usually absolutely outstanding in their field. 
(Less so with the rich and famous who receive the OBE or CBE or MBE, often for very little).

Take two knighted Boltonians: Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Philip Craven, both extraordinarily special people, way beyond the norm and meriting universal recognition for what they have achieved, not just in their specialist field but also in terms of what they have done and given for society.



Last edited by okocha on Wed Dec 31 2014, 17:00; edited 1 time in total

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sir Ian is Burnley born and bred. Granted he did live in Bolton for a short while in the fifties but his birth and early childhood were spent in Burnley.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So Ian McKellan is an actor. So why does that get him knighted? Does an actor give more to the community than a nurse, doctor or prostitute?

It's a fucking disgrace - there are people up and down the country doing great work for charity but a load of actors get the rewards?!

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian McKellen was on that Portrait artist of the year show and he said he grew up in Wigan.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Mckellen studied at Bolton School and went on to be recognised as the greatest Shakespearean actor of his generation, but his knighthood was partly due to the huge amount of work he does for various charities, promotion of gay rights and work for youth, both here and abroad.

 I can't think of anyone more deserving of a knighthood. Try researching all the different voluntary work he does, whilst promoting causes involving injustice and suffering across the globe.

You need to be more informed before criticising.



Last edited by okocha on Wed Dec 31 2014, 16:59; edited 1 time in total

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc
Moderator
Moderator

I've never been a fan of the knightood for celebs, it's all well and good saying they have raised money for charity but they have a shit load of money in the first place so it's easier for them to give money away.

What about the men and women in warzones from the past and current wars who literally put their lives on the line?....Surely they deserve something like this more than an actor who has made a few films.

jussi22

jussi22
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Did that bloke who caught Ebola get an honour? As soon as he was Ebola-free he was back in Sierra Leone helping the locals. Surely he is more deserving than some actor?

There are better ways to try to commit suicide .

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:With the Queen's New Year Honours list details  just released how has David Smarmy once again missed out on a tap on each shoulder?
He's been putting himself about again this year, and importantly helping his eldest catch Rsole Whinger's eye, only to see the less deserving long serving and much loved actor John Hurt beat him to the punch!!
Well done to Esther Rantzen though for all she's done for disadvantaged kids, pity she missed Saville's antics, in becoming a Dame.
Still, Nat can give DB a shoulder to cry on as her dreams have still been unanswered for recognition?
Obviously winning a couple of fictional bullshit awards count for fuck all in Lizzy's eyes, and long may it continue!?!

There's nothing more disgusting than the New Year Honours List. A load of rich twats being rewarded for being rich twats.

Joan Collins and John Hurt for example, being honoured for "services to acting". What a load of shite. They were simply doing their job, and being paid silly amounts of money for doing it.

Then there's James Corden and Sheridan Smith, what the fuck? Corden is a gameshow host! Smith an average actress best known for her role in a chavvy show watched by nobody.

Did that bloke who caught Ebola get an honour? As soon as he was Ebola-free he was back in Sierra Leone helping the locals. Surely he is more deserving than some actor?

It's a fucking disgrace and makes you ashamed to be British.
:agree:

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:So Ian McKellan is an actor. So why does that get him knighted? Does an actor give more to the community than a nurse, doctor or prostitute?

It's a fucking disgrace - there are people up and down the country doing great work for charity but a load of actors get the rewards?!
You are right, Agnes Figgins should have got a Dame hood years ago for services to the community!!

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

McKellen is more inclined to give hands-on time, effort, patronage, lecture tours etc rather than just money to the various causes he supports. If you take the time to read below, you will see that he has done a huge amount to merit a knighthood besides being recognised as one of the finest stage actors of his era.

"I have been reluctant to lobby too much on other issues I most care about – nuclear weapons (against), religion (atheist), capital punishment(anti), AIDS (fund-raiser) because I never want to be forever spouting, diluting the impact of addressing my most urgent concern; legal and social equality for gay people worldwide."
McKellen is a co-founder of Stonewall, a LGB rights lobby group in the United Kingdom, named after the Stonewall riots.[61] McKellen is also patron of LGBT History Month,[62] Pride London, GAY-GLOS, The Lesbian & Gay Foundation]
 In 2006, McKellen spoke at the pre-launch of the 2007 LGBT History Month in the UK, lending his support to the organisation and its founder, Sue Sanders.[62] In 2007, he became a patron of The Albert Kennedy Trust, an organisation that provides support to young, homeless and troubled  people.

McKellen has taken his activism internationally
In 2010, McKellen extended his support for Liverpool's Homotopia festival in which a group of gay and lesbian Merseyside teenagers helped to produce an anti-homophobia campaign pack for schools and youth centres across the city.[69] In May 2011, he called Sergey SobyaninMoscow's mayor, a "coward" for refusing to allow gay parades in the city.[70]

Charity work[edit]

In April 2010, along with actors Brian Cox and Eleanor Bron, McKellen appeared in a series of TV advertisements to support Age UK, the charity recently formed from the merger of Age Concern and Help the Aged. All three actors gave their time free of charge.[71]
A cricket fan since childhood, McKellen umpired in March 2011 for a charity cricket match in New Zealand to support earthquake victims of the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake.[72][73]
McKellen is an honorary board member for the New York and Washington, DC based organization Only Make Believe.[74] Only Make Believe creates and performs interactive plays in children's hospitals and care facilities. He was honoured by the organisation in 2012 [75] and hosted their annual Make Believe on Broadway Gala in November 2013.[76]He garnered publicity for the organisation by stripping down to his Lord of the Rings underwear on stage.

Isaac Theatre Royal, Christchurch[edit]

While in New Zealand filming The Hobbit in 2012, McKellen announced a special New Zealand tour 'Shakespeare, Tolkien, and You!', with proceeds from the shows going to help save the Isaac Theatre Royal, which suffered extensive damage during the 2011 Christchurch earthquake. McKellen said he opted to help save the building as it was the last theatre he played in New Zealand (Waiting For Godot in 2010) and the locals' love for it made it a place worth supporting.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fair enough if McKellen does work for charity, but he was awarded his knighthood for services to the arts. In other words for doing his job which is ridiculously overpaid.

Who is more important to the community - a nurse earning little more than minimum wage or Gandalf?

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No, Natasha, he was knighted for both services to the arts and to the various causes he champions.

If you or I could do a fraction of the good he has done to make a difference in the world, we would be due a huge debt of gratitude and recognition from queen and country. We should be proud of him (and of Sir Philip Craven), rather than try to belittle their efforts. 

Massive talent always attracts money. If he gets paid vast sums, it's hardly his fault, and I suspect he would work for far, far less because it's clear that he is committed to his causes and exerts himself according to his sense of what is the right thing to do to fight injustice, prejudice and intolerance. It's called being true to one's principles. How tolerant and principled are you?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:If you or I could do a fraction of the good he has done to make a difference in the world

Speak for yourself, I am very active in helping the homeless. I gave one man half my Twirl the other day.

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Just in case the not-so-closet Rag lovers missed it, Beckham Junior got hitched yesterday and it headlined in the Mail Online. WHY?
..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Its in the Mirror too and the Express.

Mr Ben 1, commenting in the Mirror isn't impressed:

Who cares ! People are starving and there's a 3rd World War looming, and you are reporting on this stuff...terrible for a left wing news paper


You just can't get decent chip paper these days!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Its in the Mirror too and the Express.

Mr Ben 1, commenting in the Mirror isn't impressed:

Who cares ! People are starving and there's a 3rd World War looming, and you are reporting on this stuff...terrible for a left wing news paper


You just can't get decent chip paper these days!
I'm still mourning the loss of The Dandy.

I'm a bitter man these days.

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:
I'm still mourning the loss of The Dandy.

I'm a bitter man these days.


Bitter? I expect Prince Harry is too. He and his lovely wife didn't get an invite either, allegedly.

But you have to draw the line somewhere, don't you, and they only had a measly $3million to spend on the bash.

Sponsored content



Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum