Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fags: The World Has Gone Mad

+4
Jake McHale
Hipster_Nebula
Bwfc1958
Natasha Whittam
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 14:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The UK government is pressing ahead with its plan to introduce standardised cigarette packaging, they will basically be plain apart from pictures of deformed lungs and suchlike to inform you that you are killing yourself.

My hero Nigel Farage called the move an "appalling intrusion into consumer choice". And he is right.

Don't get me wrong, I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. Not a single puff. I despise the things and the dirty people that smoke them. However, if people want to kill themselves then they should be allowed to do as they please.

Same with alcohol, if people want to drink themselves into an early grave then let them. And don't even get me started on fatty foods, if fatties want to kill themselves with sugar then they should be allowed to.

Surely no one thinks this is a good move? And does anyone really think it will have an impact on the number of people smoking or taking up smoking?

2Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 14:19

I wouldn't have thought it would effect people's decisions to smoke, but there's evidence from Australia that says it reduces the number of young people starting in the first place - I think I heard 33% of smoker in the UK are addicted by the time they're 18, so if it helps to reduce that number it's probably a good thing. 

Completely understand why tobacco companies are pissed off though, it's not as if cigarettes are the only freely available product which is harmful. Too late for me though, I've been struggling to quit for the last year or so, pathetic will power unfortunately.

3Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 14:27

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I was sceptical about this as well but if Australia is anything to go by it should do what they want it to. I'm not sure why the government are backing this though considering the amount they pull in in tax.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c4016952-0d4a-11e4-bcb2-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3PYnVYUQO

4Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 14:28

Think the timing of it explains why the government are doing this now, bit of good press that Cameron will be all over I'm sure.

5Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 14:31

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

bwfc1874 wrote:Think the timing of it explains why the government are doing this now, bit of good press that Cameron will be all over I'm sure.
You're probably right but the decision to ban smoking in cars carrying children is correct, regardless of motive.

6Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 14:34

No I completely agree, don't disagree with either of those policies. Anything that reduces smoking rates (particularly in regards to children) can only be a good thing.

7Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 16:27

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why does the drink industry consistently avoid this kind of attention? I don't understand it.

8Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 17:41

Jake McHale

Jake McHale
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

There's too many fags being smoked.

9Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 19:07

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:The UK government is pressing ahead with its plan to introduce standardised cigarette packaging, they will basically be plain apart from pictures of deformed lungs and suchlike to inform you that you are killing yourself.

My hero Nigel Farage called the move an "appalling intrusion into consumer choice". And he is right.

Don't get me wrong, I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. Not a single puff. I despise the things and the dirty people that smoke them. However, if people want to kill themselves then they should be allowed to do as they please.

Same with alcohol, if people want to drink themselves into an early grave then let them. And don't even get me started on fatty foods, if fatties want to kill themselves with sugar then they should be allowed to.

Surely no one thinks this is a good move? And does anyone really think it will have an impact on the number of people smoking or taking up smoking?
You overlook the effect on the overrun NHS. Your argument is much too simplistic. Those who lead healthy lives would have every right to feel peeved if all hospital beds were to be filled by those who have selfishly abused their bodies but still expect people's taxes to be spent on their health needs.

Not only that but smokers, heavy drinkers and drug users endanger other people's lives and easily resort to violence, again costing the tax payer huge amounts in terms of policing and care. Members of society need to consider the consequences of their irresponsibilty, and lack of concern for others.

10Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 19:12

okocha wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:The UK government is pressing ahead with its plan to introduce standardised cigarette packaging, they will basically be plain apart from pictures of deformed lungs and suchlike to inform you that you are killing yourself.

You overlook the effect on the overrun NHS. Your argument is much too simplistic. Those who lead healthy lives would have every right to feel peeved if all hospital beds were to be filled by those who have selfishly abused their bodies but still expect people's taxes to be spent on their health needs.

Not only that but smokers, heavy drinkers and drug users endanger other people's lives and easily resort to violence, again costing the tax payer huge amounts in terms of policing and care. Members of society need to consider the consequences of their irresponsibilty, and lack of concern for others.
Drinkers and smokers pay more tax than anyone else.

im neither a drinker or smoker but even i can see this

11Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 19:19

okocha wrote:You overlook the effect on the overrun NHS. Your argument is much too simplistic. Those who lead healthy lives would have every right to feel peeved if all hospital beds were to be filled by those who have selfishly abused their bodies but still expect people's taxes to be spent on their health needs.

In 2009 smoking related diseases cost the NHS £5 bn, in 2012-13 12.3 bn was made in tax revenue can't find data for the same year. I'm afraid it's you with too simplistic a view on this. 

If you're going to take that attitude to drinkers, smokers and users why not take it to the obese too?

12Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 19:22

bwfc1874 wrote:
okocha wrote:You overlook the effect on the overrun NHS. Your argument is much too simplistic. Those who lead healthy lives would have every right to feel peeved if all hospital beds were to be filled by those who have selfishly abused their bodies but still expect people's taxes to be spent on their health needs.

In 2009 smoking related diseases cost the NHS £5 bn, in 2012-13 12.3 bn was made in tax revenue can't find data for the same year. I'm afraid it's you with too simplistic a view on this. 

If you're going to take that attitude to drinkers, smokers and users why not take it to the obese too?
Oi, i was on your  side, leave me out of it

13Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 19:25

Very Happy

14Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 19:28

I pay tax on my subway, the mackies and burger king plus the 4 litres of pepsi max, 6 bags of crisp and 2 large packs of dairy milk buttons...and once ive had that for my breakfast..........

15Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 19:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:I pay tax on my subway, the mackies and burger king plus the 4 litres of pepsi max, 6 bags of crisp and 2 large packs of dairy milk buttons...and once ive had that for my breakfast..........

I've never wanted you more.

16Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 19:40

Natasha Whittam wrote:
y2johnny wrote:I pay tax on my subway, the mackies and burger king plus the 4 litres of pepsi max, 6 bags of crisp and 2 large packs of dairy milk buttons...and once ive had that for my breakfast..........

I've never wanted you more.
Well if you want me to come visit whittham towers just hire a crane to get me out of the house........jerry springer is optional.

8 stone of it is my bollocks Wink

17Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 21:22

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I wonder why the government want people to stop smoking?

Because they really couldn't give two shits about folk tbh, and they're making loads of money out of the fag tax.

18Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 21:43

wanderful life

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

If you go in every town centre,anywhere in the Uk,you see big fat birds about 22 arses as wide as a ten tonne truck in the standard black leggings,pushing a buggy with her equally fat friends.

So what are there kids eating.Surely Nutrition should be put on the National corricoleum along with learning about the pitfalls of drink,drugs and smoking.

19Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 21:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderful life wrote:If you go in every town centre,anywhere in the Uk,you see big fat birds about 22 arses as wide as a ten tonne truck in the standard black leggings,pushing a buggy with her equally fat friends.

So what are there kids eating.Surely Nutrition should be put on the National corricoleum along with learning about the pitfalls of drink,drugs and smoking.

Get real, 99.9% of the nation know certain foods/drink make you fat.

The government should start a two doughnut per week law, that would soon sort the fatties out.

20Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Empty Re: Fags: The World Has Gone Mad Thu Jan 22 2015, 21:49

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Im on a veg and fish diet for one month, dont let the bastards make you fat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum