Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who do you want to be our new manager?

+9
gloswhite
okocha
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
Norpig
MartinBWFC
Boggersbelief
finlaymcdanger
Bwfc1958
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Who is your choice to be the new manager?

Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_lcap0%Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_lcap18%Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_rcap 18% [ 3 ]
Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_lcap0%Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_lcap6%Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_lcap18%Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_rcap 18% [ 3 ]
Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_lcap12%Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_rcap 12% [ 2 ]
Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_lcap6%Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_lcap40%Who do you want to be our new manager?  Vote_rcap 40% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

One vote only. Who is your pick?

Gary Monk because his name rhymes with.........

(Sorry.......)

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

However unrealistic, I had to go with Allardyce. Appleton and Pearson also appealing though.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

finlaymcdanger wrote:However unrealistic, I had to go with Allardyce. Appleton and Pearson also appealing though.

Appleton? Seriously?

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

finlaymcdanger wrote:However unrealistic, I had to go with Allardyce. Appleton and Pearson.
Dream team.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Boggersbelief wrote:
finlaymcdanger wrote:However unrealistic, I had to go with Allardyce. Appleton and Pearson also appealing though.

Appleton? Seriously?

Yes. We're Division 3. It's time to get realistic.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chris Wilder for me, he sounds like the kind of manager we need after what i've read about his managerial career so far.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I see that Allardyce has the latest votes so far which is to be expected due to his success at the club in the past.

I feel there would be no chance now that he would come back.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ha ha, Gary Monk?

It's this sort of thinking that helped get us where we are. Monk has virtually no managerial experience and certainly none in the lower leagues.

We will be in League 1. We need a manager experienced in the lower leagues. Someone with proven ability of putting together a team on a tight budget.

Wilder is clearly the best option, but there are other names on that list that would fit the bill. Even Di Canio did very well in the lower leagues.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Big Sam is probably the only person in that list who could get our shower of shite winning games of football again. The chances of that happening are slim to none though I would say so I would go for Chris Wilder I think.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Two (probably highly unrealistic!) ideas:- The Neville brothers: Boltonians, experienced, bright, knowledgeable, articulate, good with the media. Cost?

Steve Claridge: who knows more about lower league football than him? Talks a good game and is very personable, enthusiastic, passionate and persuasive. Hard to prise him away from TV duties?? Cost?  Managerial experience?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I'm seeing the term 'lower league experience' being bandied about, but what is that exactly?

What would we expect from such a manager ?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:I'm seeing the term 'lower league experience' being bandied about, but what is that exactly?

Experience of being a manager in League 1 or 2.

Tomorrow I'll explain the offside rule to you.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Don't be an arse Nat. You know what I mean, or maybe you don't actually know ?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Don't be an arse Nat. You know what I mean, or maybe you don't actually know ?

I genuinely have no idea what you were getting at.

And don't call me an arse, you bellend.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm still curious as to why Nigel Pearson is out of a job apart from his obvious straight talking to the media and a less-than-subtle way with words on occasion. He comes across as a complete tw@t but the job he did at Leicester has to be admired. He instituted a sound structure, got great results, hard-working and attacking playing style and made some great signings including from the lower leagues.

I also liked the way he took no shit from James McArthur so there'd be no room for overpaid ponces in his squad. Whatever people may think of him, I think he laid the foundations for Leicester's current success and on that basis I think he'd be good for us.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Unusual event, I agree with Nat. I believe we need a manager who knows L1 and L2 and most importantly how to get teams promoted from them back into the Championship at least. 

Rodgers, Allardyce and the other 'big' names on the poll list are out, we can't begin to afford them even if we could convince them to come. My vote has gone to Paul Ince because he's been successful down at this level before and because I think he might well see us as a chance to vindicate himself after the treatment he got at Blackburn. Can we afford him? Probably not and I don't think we'll get him but that's true of practically everyone on that list.

Sadly it doesn't matter who we want, given the finances we clearly don't have it's going to be a case of being stuck with what we get. Who knows? Maybe someone we haven't thought of will want to make his managerial debut with us and do well?

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I can't see Sam coming back unless he is offered some sort of ownership percentage of the club or a salary that we don't have currently.  Darkside & Eddie left a bad taste in his mouth and Eddie is still there.  On top of that Sam makes a nice living bouncing around the Prem and a bit of commentary on the tele. Give that up for an away game on a Tuesday night at Bury...... aye.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
gloswhite wrote:Don't be an arse Nat. You know what I mean, or maybe you don't actually know ?

What gloswhite is asking is why do we need somebody with League One experience as opposed to Championship experience or even PL experience.

Are the rules different in League One? Is it 8 a side?

But more to the point, how many managers get brought to clubs because they so called "know this league", and end up making a complete mess anyway? Just look at Adkins, twice got clubs promoted from League One - probably just the sort of experience you're going on about - yet clearly doing a crappy job at Sheff Utd.

Let's be honest, people bang on about experience, but it's just verbal diarrhoea.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

doffcocker wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

What gloswhite is asking is why do we need somebody with League One experience as opposed to Championship experience or even PL experience.

Are the rules different in League One? Is it 8 a side?

But more to the point, how many managers get brought to clubs because they so called "know this league", and end up making a complete mess anyway? Just look at Adkins, twice got clubs promoted from League One - probably just the sort of experience you're going on about - yet clearly doing a crappy job at Sheff Utd.

Let's be honest, people bang on about experience, but it's just verbal diarrhoea.
No but the type of football played in the lower reaches is very different. It takes a lot more in terms of skill than people might think to get promoted from there but it mostly takes a lot of fight and the tackling is much harder. There's a different sort of mindset that you just don't see in the top two divisions, much less in the way of diving etc and referees tend to be more lenient towards defenders. In some ways League One is what division two used to be like in the pre-premiership era. It's got some nice football but it's mostly about who wants the win most. Managers who are used to seeing flair players get a penalty because they tripped over a long blade of grass don't tend to do well down there while those who are into grit and strength do. 

Oddly enough L1 is probably made to order for a Megson type manager, one who wants a rock solid defence that never concedes and a team that nicks wins on the break. I'm not saying there is no skill at all, far from it but the sort of tiki-taka stuff that the upper reaches like Barca and Bayern play just doesn't work down here. It's an older fashioned sort of football and it needs a manager who knows when and how to mix the physical and skill sides of the game in a different way to those of the top two tiers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum