Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What was your bus?

+17
Dunkels King
doffcocker
BoltonTillIDie
NickFazer
Bwfc1958
scottjames30
karlypants
Soul Kitchen
bwfc71
carl baxter
Chairmanda
wanderlust
whatsgoingon
Reebok Trotter
Banks of the Croal
Sluffy
Bolton Nuts
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

61What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 14:18

That is another outright lie.

Sorry, but it is.

I lived just off Ivy Road between 1970 and 1989 and there has never been a bus route up it.

62What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 14:37

Seriously are we arguing about where a bus used to go 45 ago. 

A new new low.

63What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:14

If they withdrew it in 1970 isnt there a chance it may have been withdrew early 1970 and you moved in after it had been withdrew.

Just playing devils advocate here.

64What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I got hit by a bus once. The number 9. It was leaving The Stocks Hotel in Walkden,so wasn't moving at any great speed.
Even aged ten I knew my destiny.

65What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:31

My dad had his foot run over by a bus once, near Hacken Lane in Darcy Lever. Think it was the 536.

66What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:36

I used to cycle and run up and down Ivy Rd all the time in the 70's and 80's - never got hit by a bus once.

Because there weren't any.

67What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:37

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I used to cycle and run up and down Ivy Rd all the time in the 70's and 80's - never got hit by a bus once.

Because there weren't any.
Laughing

68What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Valerie Singleton(of Blue Peter fame)drove over my foot as she left our school. She'd be drumming up support for the Blue Peter Christmas appeal.
I managed to scrunch my toes up,so I was fine.
I still have my BP badge,although I didn't get it for being run over.

69What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:39

I don't know where Ivy Road is.

70What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:42

Barb Dwyer wrote:I don't know where Ivy Road is.

Not surprising because it's quite difficult to get to so not many people know it.

If only there was a bus you could catch......

71What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I fell off a bus once!

In the old days the bit where you got on and off the bus had no door - just a vertical hand rail (as per photo).

Well it was kind of common back then for people to run and jump up on to the bus if it had just set off, or drop off the back as it was slowing down to stop or take a bend.

The getting on bit was easy to learn but not so the getting off!

The first time I was brave enough to try it I simply just stepped off (backwards was the way to do it) and stood still but the momentum I had pitched me head first into the road after and behind the bus.

Lots of bumps and grazes but I was ok - felt a bit of a plonker though!

What I hadn't realised in my youth was that the trick to getting off the bus was to sort of run after it because the momentum you had when leaving it in motion.

Taught me a lesson of physics however.

I did get the hang of it after then but the open backed busses where withdrawn from service in Bolton shortly after that time.

Probably a wise move actually!

Very Happy

What was your bus? - Page 4 London-bus-side120626

Last edited by Sluffy on Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:56; edited 1 time in total

72What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 15:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I know that feeling. Doing it and trying to look cool doing it,is an art in itself.

I too,have the bruises to prove it.

73What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 16:31

My mum ran over my foot in an old mini cooper.  I think it did more damage to the car

74What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Sun Aug 07 2016, 16:36

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:My mum ran over my foot in an old mini cooper.  I think it did more damage to the car
Laughing

75What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Mon Aug 08 2016, 09:15

Number8bus

Number8bus
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

It's got to be the Number 8 bus obviously. Jumped on it at the Windmill, Pendlebury, and jumped off at the King Billy, Burnden Park...

I tend to use the Number 11 now from Teignmouth, Devon, to St Marychurch to watch Torquay United... 

Buses, who knew they could be such a fascinating topic of discussion?

I saw a lovely stamp the other day, it had some old birds head on it, and it was stuck on an envelope...

Spiffing what...

76What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Mon Aug 08 2016, 12:31

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When i was at Smithills a bus actually went over a lad in our year. It was the old type of bus with doors in the middle as well and as it was crawling up Smithills Dean Rd kids were opening the door and messing about and trying to get on. One lad tried to get on but was pushed off by another and went under the bus and the back wheels went right over him.

I can remember to this day being on that bus and feeling the bus go over a bump (or so i though it was). The lad was off school for months and months and smashed his pelvis amongst other injuries

77What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Mon Aug 08 2016, 12:40

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:When i was at Smithills a bus actually went over a lad in our year. It was the old type of bus with doors in the middle as well and as it was crawling up Smithills Dean Rd kids were opening the door and messing about and trying to get on. One lad tried to get on but was pushed off by another and went under the bus and the back wheels went right over him.

I can remember to this day being on that bus and feeling the bus go over a bump (or so i though it was). The lad was off school for months and months and smashed his pelvis amongst other injuries
Good God! Shocked

78What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Mon Aug 08 2016, 12:43

Number8bus

Number8bus
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

karlypants wrote:
Norpig wrote:When i was at Smithills a bus actually went over a lad in our year. It was the old type of bus with doors in the middle as well and as it was crawling up Smithills Dean Rd kids were opening the door and messing about and trying to get on. One lad tried to get on but was pushed off by another and went under the bus and the back wheels went right over him.

Good God! Shocked
Should have had the correct fare.... firm, but fair....

79What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Mon Aug 08 2016, 12:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Proper bus.
What was your bus? - Page 4 DBN-978_lr

80What was your bus? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was your bus? Wed Aug 10 2016, 17:30

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:That is another outright lie.

Sorry, but it is.

I lived just off Ivy Road between 1970 and 1989 and there has never been a bus route up it.

This is from a message I posted on another forum with regards to this query and the response I got was....

Hi Chris

Having looked in the timetable collection at Museum of Transport Boyle St, it appears the 504 finished In Bolton Area changes from 30 March 1981 but re-emerged at De-Reg for short time

Basically the 502 went up Ivy Road to Barrow Bridge but in the changes the 504 was withdrawn and 502 replaced the 502 to go up Elgin Street

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum