Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?

+17
okocha
rammywhite
BoltonTillIDie
luckyPeterpiper
finlaymcdanger
Growler
karlypants
Keegan
Bollotom2014
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
wanderlust
scottjames30
whatsgoingon
Boggersbelief
boltonbonce
King Bill
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

121BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Wed Mar 04 2020, 11:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just had a surveyor in to check a ceiling repair, and, noticing all the memorabilia informed me that his great grandfather played for Bolton Wanderers as well as Lancashire at cricket.
His name was John Oldham. He also flew Spitfire's, and died during the war.
I must say, I can find no record of him. Anyone know owt?

122BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Mon Apr 13 2020, 15:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remember this guy?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

123BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Apr 14 2020, 08:16

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Remember this guy?
Is it Alonso's brother?

124BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Apr 14 2020, 08:20

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Or Harsanyi?

125BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Apr 14 2020, 10:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Or Harsanyi?
Correct. Not one to have on the wall. Very Happy

126BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Jan 12 2021, 17:36

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have a mate selling an Adam Bogdan signed glove in a frame if anyone's interested? A bit left field i know but i bet Boncey wants it  Very Happy

127BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Jan 12 2021, 17:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I have a mate selling an Adam Bogdan signed glove in a frame if anyone's interested? A bit left field i know but i bet Boncey wants it  Very Happy
I assume the other glove is still up Bogdan's arse? Smile

128BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Jan 12 2021, 17:46

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
I assume the other glove is still up Bogdan's arse? Smile
i'll take that as a no then?

129BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Jan 12 2021, 17:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
i'll take that as a no then?
Yes. I keep my dodgy stuff in a box. Like my signed photo of Zat Knight. It's a hall of shame in there.
Just checked and there's a picture of Tuncay in there as well. Might have a good rummage through it later.

130BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Jan 26 2021, 09:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looking through some old programmes and came across this Easter Monday encounter with Burnley in 1954. The game finished 1-1, with 25,857 in attendance. Wouldn't mind a few of those old boys now.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

131BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Jan 26 2021, 10:12

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't think my mate had much luck selling the Bogdan glove  Very Happy

He even advertised it on the Reebok roar FB page with not much interest.

132BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue Apr 13 2021, 12:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sorting through some Wanderers stuff, and I found this. Bill Ridding, George Taylor, are there, but do you know any of the others? Look like mainly back room staff getting ready for Christmas pud.

133BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue May 25 2021, 14:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Came across this one today. Can you name the Wanderer. Or the Liverpool player. The year is 1951. 10 points for each.

134BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue May 25 2021, 15:54

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The teams that day -

From the picture it looks to me that the Bolton player is close to the goal line (foreground) and if so the Bolton player running back behind him isn't going on an overlap, so more likely getting between the ball and goal to defend it.

Assuming then we are defending and Liverpool attacking, then my guess based on players in that era sticking in their positions rather than being more fluid on the field as these days, then the Bolton player is more likely to be a defender and the Liverpool player a striker (wingers sticking mostly to the touchlines).

I'm guessing the Bolton player is therefore a centre half (Murphy or Ball) and the Liverpool player Liddell or Stubbins.

If the Bolton player is running back to goal then I assume the picture is taken to the right side of the goal area, so it seems the odds therefore if players stuck to their positions more than didn't would be Danny Murphy and Billy Liddell.

However a google at Liddell pictures seems to show he had a centre parting in his hair and the picture seems to suggest the player had a side parting - which Stubbins pictures seem to show he had - so my guess is Stubbins for the Liverpool player.

Just to complete my little analysis I tried to find a picture Danny Murphy but failed but I did find a team picture of Wanderers for 1958/9 season and it seems pretty clear to me that the Bolton player is in actual fact Roy Hartle.

Seeing he isn't shown on the team for that day (in the link above) I can only conclude that either Bonce has the wrong year for the picture or the stat site is wrong?

Bolton didn't seem to play Liverpool twice that year either in different seasons or in the cup.

Roy Hartle isn't shown as being in the team for the match the following year...

...so I suspect the picture is a few years younger than what Bonce believes it to be???

Although the stat site may equally be wrong as I've not bothered to verify its accuracy either.

Sorry, didn't set out to doubt your word Boncey, or create a mystery!

135BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue May 25 2021, 16:03

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You've not had much on this afternoon have you Sluffy?  Laughing

136BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue May 25 2021, 16:25

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:You've not had much on this afternoon have you Sluffy?  Laughing
Unbelievable stuff Sluffy.  :rofl:

It's Danny Murphy and Albert Stubbins.

Ask a simple question and Sluffy goes all Poirot. Brilliant. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

137BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue May 25 2021, 16:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

138BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue May 25 2021, 17:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:You've not had much on this afternoon have you Sluffy?  Laughing

Tbh I've been stuck indoors for the last two weeks or more simply because of the weather, it's been abysmal round my way.

I do try and pop out for an hour or so when I can daily but have been caught out and drenched at least three times - and that's just staying local.

As for looking things up it is just second nature to me, I've always enjoyed finding things out all my life I guess.  

With the internet so quick and easy to use it is so simple to do these days and I simply can't understand why most people don't use it rather than believe as gospel utter bollocks from random people they have no idea who they are, or what reason they have for saying stuff, on social media as they often do!!!

I mean how difficult and how long does it take to Google 'Bolton v Liverpool 1951' then a google image search for a few old footballers - two maybe three minutes at most it probably took me.

Below is a picture of Roy Hartle which looks to me very much like the picture in the photo of the Bolton player...

...Google couldn't find a picture of Bolton's Danny Murphy to compare but I rather think it may well be Roy after all?

As for the rest - position on the pitch, player positions, etc, that's just all just common sense to me and having had experience of actually playing many games of footy over the years.

139BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue May 25 2021, 18:02

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

boltonbonce wrote:Just had a surveyor in to check a ceiling repair, and, noticing all the memorabilia informed me that his great grandfather played for Bolton Wanderers as well as Lancashire at cricket.
His name was John Oldham. He also flew Spitfire's, and died during the war.
I must say, I can find no record of him. Anyone know owt?
Sorry to be late to the party, Boncey, but here's the chap you mentioned

140BWFC memorabilia, what you got ?  - Page 7 Empty Re: BWFC memorabilia, what you got ? Tue May 25 2021, 19:25

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bollotom2014 wrote:
Sorry to be late to the party, Boncey, but here's the chap you mentioned

Wow, Bollo, you've made my day. Couldn't find a thing about him until this. I initially thought he'd died during the war.
Great stuff, thanks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum