Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Depressing BWFC Performance?

+10
BoltonTillIDie
Banks of the Croal
Culcheth_White
Sluffy
doffcocker
Keegan
xmiles
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:36

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Today is a dark day in our history, getting thrashed by 7 kids all aged 14 or under.

Have there been darker days? What is the darkest day you've experienced watching BWFC?

2Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:39

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

1. 0-1 (AET) vs Tranmere Rovers, 2nd division play-off final 1991.
2. 0-5 vs Stoke City, FA Cup Semi-Final 2011.
3. 0-2 vs Watford, 1st division play-off final, 1999.
4. 0-0 vs Aston Villa, FA Cup Semi-final 2000.
5. 0-6 vs Manchester United, Premier League 1996.

3Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The 6-0 home defeat to Man Utd always cuts deep, as does the Tranmere play-off defeat. Being 3-0 up at Watford and losing was quite depressing as well.

4Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:45

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Like Super John said, none of the players even cared enough to get booked in that 0-6 v Man United. Roy McFarland is the worst manager we've had in my time supporting BWFC. We played Man United with a midfield consising of David Lee, Richard Sneekes and Alan Thompson - it makes me cringe to this day.

5Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:Like Super John said, none of the players even cared enough to get booked in that 0-6 v Man United. Roy McFarland is the worst manager we've had in my time supporting BWFC. We played Man United with a midfield consising of David Lee, Richard Sneekes and Alan Thompson - it makes me cringe to this day.

Stop making me re-live it.

6Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:47

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well if were talking recent, when we lost away to Villa under Megson, 4-0.

it was during an absolutely awful run, with some of the worst football in history, and we were completely outplayed by a bang average Villa team.

and to compound it all Megson was in charge.

7Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:50

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

largehat wrote:1. 0-1 (AET) vs Tranmere Rovers, 2nd division play-off final 1991.
2. 0-5 vs Stoke City, FA Cup Semi-Final 2011.
3. 0-2 vs Watford, 1st division play-off final, 1999.
4. 0-0 vs Aston Villa, FA Cup Semi-final 2000.
5. 0-6 vs Manchester United, Premier League 1996.

A depressingly good list but unfortunately there are plenty more. Just listing 3 more off the top of my head and without looking up the dates (they are all from quite a few years back):

1. being 3-0 up at Chelsea and losing 4-3 in the last minute with an own goal
2. being 1-0 up at Charlton but losing 4-1 on the last day of the season and getting relegated to the old third division
3. being relegated to the fourth division after losing in the play-offs to Aldershot (I think we drew at home and lost at Aldershot).

Losing 3-0 to Portsmouth today was hardly our finest hour but it doesn't compare to the 8 disasters above.

8Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:51

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Stop making me re-live it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"If my answers frighten you, you should stop asking scary questions."

9Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:54

largehat wrote:Like Super John said, none of the players even cared enough to get booked in that 0-6 v Man United. Roy McFarland is the worst manager we've had in my time supporting BWFC. We played Man United with a midfield consising of David Lee, Richard Sneekes and Alan Thompson - it makes me cringe to this day.

Didn't Sasa Curcic make his debut in that game?

Losing 5-0 to United at home last season was worse than the 6-0 from 95.

10Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 17:00

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

OneOinCoyle wrote:

It didn't feel that way at the time. We get hammered by Man United every season now, but that was our first competitive game against them for about 15 years, and it was the one fixture we all looked for when the fixtures came out.

You're right, though OOiC, it was Curcic not Sneekes. So a midfield of Curcic, Lee, Sellars and Thompson vs Keane, Butt, Beckham and Giggs. 3 wide players and a cavalier attacking midfielder on debut. I looked up the full teams below.

Keith Branagan
Scott Green
Simon Coleman
Chris Fairclough
Jimmy Phillips
Sasa Curcic
Scott Sellars
Alan Thompson
Nathan Blake
David Lee
Fabian De Freitas

Peter Schmeichel
Phil Neville
Denis Irwin
Steve Bruce
Gary Pallister
David Beckham
Nicky Butt
Roy Keane
Andy Cole
Eric Cantona
Ryan Giggs

11Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 17:05

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I can't imagine how we managed to lose that game.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

12Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 17:10

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

You could pick from the majority of games under Megson but I'd virtually given up caring during that period. Having said that, ironically losing against ten men at Wigan after throwing Europe down the drain was horrendous. There won't be a more negative performance against ten men in history.

Losing to Wigan at home last season was also awful. We'd just started looking decent after ditching Kevin Davies and going to a 4-5-1, and only for the biggest game of the season to date, Clueless reverts back to the same uninspiring system that got us into shit in the first place. We created next to nothing against the worst defence in the league at that point.

13Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 17:37

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It's even worse when you read the LEAD UP to the match!

OWEN Coyle has no qualms about pitching his Wanderers side into a potential cauldron at Fratton Park tomorrow.

Emotions are raw at Portsmouth because of the ongoing precarious financial situation that leaves the club staring liquidation in the face.

A fan protest march has been organised before the game, which could, in the worst case scenario, be the club’s last should they fail to reach a settlement with the three remaining big earners on their books before an August 10 deadline set down by administrators.

Among them, former Whites defender Tal Ben Haim, who is currently persona non grata on the South Coast after sticking to his guns over a £2million settlement he claims is owed to him for the final year of his contract.

He was booed by both sets of supporters in a midweek friendly at Aldershot and should be pitched in again tomorrow for an even more vitriolic reception.

Coyle sought assurances from his opposite number Michael Appleton that the team Wanderers were about to face would be of sufficient standard to make the trip worthwhile.

Happy with the answer he got, he is expecting a good workout for the side that chalked up their first win of pre-season at Morecambe on Wednesday night.

“I’ve spoken to Michael because, of course, you would have reservations looking from the outside in,” he told The Bolton News. “But he’s assured me there will be a strong squad put out there and we’re going to Portsmouth knowing it will be a tough game.

“The other thing you know heading to Fratton Park is that there will be a partisan crowd.

I just felt that kind of atmosphere could only help our preparation. We’ve played every game so far away from home purposely.”

Several players were kept out of the action at the Globe Arena after playing the majority of the weekend’s draw at Crewe. Coyle hopes the 2-0 victory can give his side some momentum but also warned that he expects to see some improvement on the defensive side after a few nervous moments at Morecambe.

“We rested a couple of the lads because we didn’t want them playing 90 minutes back to back right now but they’ll be back into the frame again for Portsmouth,” he confirmed.

“But how they went about it in the first half was really good. They scored two goals and could have had a few more.

“They had a few chances and I’ve let them know in no uncertain terms that there are things I want them to cut out as well, so there’s still things to work on.”

Minor injuries to Chung-Yong Lee, Zat Knight, Chris Eagles, Matt Mills, Tim Ream and David Ngog all now appear to have cleared, leaving Coyle with a relatively full squad to pick from.

And heading into the final three games of the summer, he is now aiming to concentrate on the fine tuning after dealing with the hard graft of fitness.

We have trained them very hard and even in the games up in Scotland, we’d been training in the morning and then playing in the afternoon,” he said.

Those fitness levels are up now and they’ll serve us well all season.

“What we’re doing now is not training on the morning of the games, and we’re treating it as if it’s a proper matchday. Hopefully with that will come the sharpness, and I’ve got no doubt that over the next two weeks it will build and build.

Step by step it’s going the right way, and that continues with Portsmouth, Tranmere and then Barcelona B at home before the little matter of a trip to Burnley.”

Ben Haim – who left Wanderers in 2007 for Chelsea and has since played for Manchester City, West Ham and Sunderland – will be joined by another Pompey player currently trying to sever ties with the club, Liam Lawrence, although a third, Dave Kitson, is injured.

Pompey will give trials to former Derby front men Brian Howard and Izale McLeod and ex-Chelsea full-back Jon Harley.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The man is deluded!

14Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 21:22

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

OneOinCoyle wrote:

Sasa Curcic made his debut at Burnden Park, against Arsenal on the 31ST October 1995.

15Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sat Aug 04 2012, 23:54

Culcheth_White wrote:
OneOinCoyle wrote:

Sasa Curcic made his debut at Burnden Park, against Arsenal on the 31ST October 1995.

Ok. Was that a Monday night game when we won 1-0 and Mcateer scored? Don't think Roy Mcfarland was manager for the United game either but I could be wrong.

16Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sun Aug 05 2012, 00:18

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'm not doing very well on this thread, OOiC. Happy to stand corrected again. That United game took place the month after McFarland was sacked.

17Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sun Aug 05 2012, 00:25

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Seen some shite over the years, but the 5-0 Stoke beating, was the catalyst for where we are now.

18Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sun Aug 05 2012, 00:35

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

5-0 against Stoke in FA Cup was the worst result I have experienced!

19Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sun Aug 05 2012, 13:46

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

8-0 to Burnley in two weeks .....that one might hurt Cool

20Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Empty Re: Most Depressing BWFC Performance? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:10

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Blimey, where do you start with this one? Over recent years almost every game has depressed me. WBA 2-2 in our last home game (if we held out we would have been safe), 0-3 at home to Fulham, 1-2 at home to Wigan, 0-5 at home to Man Utd, 1-5 at home to Chelsea, then are the games like the Watford play off final, losing at Chelsea on the last game of the season in 1998 was very upsetting, Tranmere in the Rumblelows Cup back in the mid 90s.

I feel thoroughly depressed now! Where's my razor blade?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum