Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » End of the free press

End of the free press

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1End of the free press Empty End of the free press on Sat Nov 30 2019, 14:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Non-dom right wing billionaire and purveyor of lies Lord Rothermere has bought the "i" newspaper , one of the last bastions of apolitical news. Now the right wing tax dodging cabal of Rothermere, Barclay Brothers, Desmond and Murdoch will control 80% of the British media and it's increasingly looking like the offshore billionaires and their chums will have the nation by the nads.

Whilst it must be amusing for those who lean towards the right politically, does anyone of that persuasion agree that this is an unhealthy situation?

2End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Mon Dec 02 2019, 14:37

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Its not great as they are the ones leading the anti-Corbyn slur campaign that all the gammons lap up and like to quote on social media.

3End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Mon Dec 02 2019, 21:51

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Just keep reading Das Kapital. Every day. Keep it under your Pillow.

4End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Mon Dec 02 2019, 22:10

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Workers are exploited by factory owners and don't own the products of their labour, making them little better than machines. The factory owners and other capitalists hold all the power because they control the means of production, allowing them to amass vast fortunes while the workers fall deeper into poverty. This is an unsustainable way to organise society and it will eventually collapse under the weight of its own contradictions. Wink

5End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Tue Dec 17 2019, 23:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
We have the worst press in Europe. Unlikely to get any better.

6End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 08:47

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@boltonbonce wrote:We have the worst press in Europe. Unlikely to get any better.

If readers had not been fed a continual stream of lies about the EU (bendy bananas, etc) in the press would we even be facing brexit now?

And Boris is now seeking to hobble the tv stations to prevent any effective criticism or exposure of his non-stop lying. Some democracy.

7End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 11:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
A vote for Boris was a vote for bendy bananas.

8End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 12:10

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
But only a stupid person would think that. Smile

9End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 15:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:A vote for Boris was a vote for bendy bananas.

It was. It may have taken Murdoch and his cronies 40 years to overturn the people’s will and get the result they wanted on Europe, but they got there in the end. 

At last he’s got a government that does what he tells them to do (his words not mine) Very Happy

10End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 19:29

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
iIve heard a few times on the TV that the press did the country a disservice by the biased and thinly veiled abusive reporting. Although I believe this was by all the press outlets, it wasn't good when the Biased Broadcasting Company tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time.
Whereas I believe in the free press, I also think they should show less bias and more responsibility, as well as observing more of the reportees privacy.

11End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 19:42

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@wanderlust wrote:
It may have taken Murdoch and his cronies 40 years to overturn the people’s will
Jesus Christ  :facepalm:

12End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 19:58

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@gloswhite wrote:iIve heard a few times on the TV that the press did the country a disservice by the biased and thinly veiled abusive reporting. Although I believe this was by all the press outlets, it wasn't good when the Biased Broadcasting Company tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time.
Whereas I believe in the free press, I also think they should show less bias and more responsibility, as well as observing more of the reportees privacy.

Please give us a couple of examples of this alleged BBC bias. It should be very easy if they "tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time."

13End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 21:04

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
On the plus side, the takeover of the i newspaper doesn't seem to have had a detrimental effect on its neutral stance and non-sensationalist style....yet.

Conversely, the rest of the largely right-wing press have proved themselves vilely ruthless again in hounding and demonising anyone who was involved in persuading the authorities to look into phone-hacking and other unscrupulous practices, leading to the Leveson  recommendations about improving press standards. Hugh Grant, in particular, is getting it in the neck for his leading role in testifying about the way his phone and the tragic Millie Dowler's were hacked. Grotesque and flagrant lack of concern for decency by the tabloids plus Telegraph and the Times.

14End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 21:40

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:iIve heard a few times on the TV that the press did the country a disservice by the biased and thinly veiled abusive reporting. Although I believe this was by all the press outlets, it wasn't good when the Biased Broadcasting Company tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time.
Whereas I believe in the free press, I also think they should show less bias and more responsibility, as well as observing more of the reportees privacy.

Please give us a couple of examples of this alleged BBC bias. It should be very easy if they "tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time."
What gives you the right to keep asking other members questions when you can’t be bothered answering questions members put forward to you? Very Happy

15End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Wed Dec 18 2019, 21:50

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@karlypants wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:iIve heard a few times on the TV that the press did the country a disservice by the biased and thinly veiled abusive reporting. Although I believe this was by all the press outlets, it wasn't good when the Biased Broadcasting Company tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time.
Whereas I believe in the free press, I also think they should show less bias and more responsibility, as well as observing more of the reportees privacy.

Please give us a couple of examples of this alleged BBC bias. It should be very easy if they "tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time."
What gives you the right to keep asking other members questions when you can’t be bothered answering questions members put forward to you? Very Happy

I normally do answer serious questions. You never answer any as far as I am aware. You appear to prefer mindless abuse to reasonable discussion so I usually ignore you.

However I would be genuinely interested to see examples of this alleged bias as I suspect it is largely ot totally imaginary.

16End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Thu Dec 19 2019, 14:36

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
@xmiles wrote:
@karlypants wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:iIve heard a few times on the TV that the press did the country a disservice by the biased and thinly veiled abusive reporting. Although I believe this was by all the press outlets, it wasn't good when the Biased Broadcasting Company tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time.
Whereas I believe in the free press, I also think they should show less bias and more responsibility, as well as observing more of the reportees privacy.

Please give us a couple of examples of this alleged BBC bias. It should be very easy if they "tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time."
What gives you the right to keep asking other members questions when you can’t be bothered answering questions members put forward to you? Very Happy

I normally do answer serious questions. You never answer any as far as I am aware. You appear to prefer mindless abuse to reasonable discussion so I usually ignore you.

However I would be genuinely interested to see examples of this alleged bias as I suspect it is largely ot totally imaginary.
XM, your response/request for evidence actually proves my point in that you only see what you want to see. I've heard comments on both Sky news and ITV. I'm afraid I haven't logged every comment I've heard, I didn't think I needed to.

17End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Thu Dec 19 2019, 15:00

Guest


Guest
I think he’s after incidents rather than specific comments on this. Think we need to remember the Tory party claiming BBC bias doesn’t necessarily mean it’s true. For instance claiming BBC bias for Andrew Neil empty chairing Johnson is a load of rubbish.

18End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Thu Dec 19 2019, 15:49

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@gloswhite wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@karlypants wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:iIve heard a few times on the TV that the press did the country a disservice by the biased and thinly veiled abusive reporting. Although I believe this was by all the press outlets, it wasn't good when the Biased Broadcasting Company tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time.
Whereas I believe in the free press, I also think they should show less bias and more responsibility, as well as observing more of the reportees privacy.

Please give us a couple of examples of this alleged BBC bias. It should be very easy if they "tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time."
What gives you the right to keep asking other members questions when you can’t be bothered answering questions members put forward to you? Very Happy

I normally do answer serious questions. You never answer any as far as I am aware. You appear to prefer mindless abuse to reasonable discussion so I usually ignore you.

However I would be genuinely interested to see examples of this alleged bias as I suspect it is largely ot totally imaginary.
XM, your response/request for evidence actually proves my point in that you only see what you want to see. I've heard comments on both Sky news and ITV. I'm afraid I haven't logged every comment I've heard, I didn't think I needed to.

Asking for evidence is hardly proof. With that logic if you said the earth was flat and I asked for evidence, in your view that proves it is flat. The reality is that you believe it because you have been told it is true and it is you who are only seeing what you want to see.

As TROY has already pointed out I honestly would like to see some examples of specific incidents of this alleged bias.

19End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Thu Dec 19 2019, 18:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@karlypants wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:iIve heard a few times on the TV that the press did the country a disservice by the biased and thinly veiled abusive reporting. Although I believe this was by all the press outlets, it wasn't good when the Biased Broadcasting Company tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time.
Whereas I believe in the free press, I also think they should show less bias and more responsibility, as well as observing more of the reportees privacy.

Please give us a couple of examples of this alleged BBC bias. It should be very easy if they "tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time."
What gives you the right to keep asking other members questions when you can’t be bothered answering questions members put forward to you? Very Happy

I normally do answer serious questions. You never answer any as far as I am aware. You appear to prefer mindless abuse to reasonable discussion so I usually ignore you.

However I would be genuinely interested to see examples of this alleged bias as I suspect it is largely ot totally imaginary.
XM, your response/request for evidence actually proves my point in that you only see what you want to see. I've heard comments on both Sky news and ITV. I'm afraid I haven't logged every comment I've heard, I didn't think I needed to.

Asking for evidence is hardly proof. With that logic if you said the earth was flat and I asked for evidence, in your view that proves it is flat. The reality is that you believe it because you have been told it is true and it is you who are only seeing what you want to see.

As TROY has already pointed out I honestly would like to see some examples of specific incidents of this alleged bias.
Are you seriously saying this?
As an aside, prove the earth isn't flat, yourself, and without all the technical support you would need. Obviously, you can't. By the same token, when looking for news items to support your point of view, you rely on others, and as we all do, tend to believe those who generally think the same way as we do, but that doesn't make it right. 
At the moment I feel that the losers in this election, sorry, but that includes you XM, are hanging on to old arguments, as things are changing, and you don't have any new material. Lets see what happens, and If things do go off the rails, I will gladly agree with you, but digging up old news and regurgitating it doesn't do it for me.
In case I decide to ignore you again, have an excellent Christmas and New Year  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

20End of the free press Empty Re: End of the free press on Thu Dec 19 2019, 18:45

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@gloswhite wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@karlypants wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:iIve heard a few times on the TV that the press did the country a disservice by the biased and thinly veiled abusive reporting. Although I believe this was by all the press outlets, it wasn't good when the Biased Broadcasting Company tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time.
Whereas I believe in the free press, I also think they should show less bias and more responsibility, as well as observing more of the reportees privacy.

Please give us a couple of examples of this alleged BBC bias. It should be very easy if they "tried to slant things in Labour's favour most of the time."
What gives you the right to keep asking other members questions when you can’t be bothered answering questions members put forward to you? Very Happy

I normally do answer serious questions. You never answer any as far as I am aware. You appear to prefer mindless abuse to reasonable discussion so I usually ignore you.

However I would be genuinely interested to see examples of this alleged bias as I suspect it is largely ot totally imaginary.
XM, your response/request for evidence actually proves my point in that you only see what you want to see. I've heard comments on both Sky news and ITV. I'm afraid I haven't logged every comment I've heard, I didn't think I needed to.

Asking for evidence is hardly proof. With that logic if you said the earth was flat and I asked for evidence, in your view that proves it is flat. The reality is that you believe it because you have been told it is true and it is you who are only seeing what you want to see.

As TROY has already pointed out I honestly would like to see some examples of specific incidents of this alleged bias.
Are you seriously saying this?
As an aside, prove the earth isn't flat, yourself, and without all the technical support you would need. Obviously, you can't. By the same token, when looking for news items to support your point of view, you rely on others, and as we all do, tend to believe those who generally think the same way as we do, but that doesn't make it right. 
At the moment I feel that the losers in this election, sorry, but that includes you XM, are hanging on to old arguments, as things are changing, and you don't have any new material. Lets see what happens, and If things do go off the rails, I will gladly agree with you, but digging up old news and regurgitating it doesn't do it for me.
In case I decide to ignore you again, have an excellent Christmas and New Year  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So you can't provide a single example of this alleged bias but you still believe it. You really do take confirmation bias to extremes glos.

I look forward to you agreeing with me when things go off the rails (and with Boris in charge I am pretty certain it will) and wish you an excellent Christmas and New Year too. Smile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum