Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - will we survive?

+19
summercummings
Bollotom2014
Norpig
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
Ten Bobsworth
Leeds_Trotter
y2johnny
MartinBWFC
luckyPeterpiper
BoltonTillIDie
doffcocker
okocha
Cajunboy
wanderlust
karlypants
Angry Dad
finlaymcdanger
boltonbonce
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 29 of 50]

561Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 13:26

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Another prized dickhead...

562Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 13:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm getting a few tips. Nice to see Breadman at the end. Very Happy

563Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 14:12

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:Look, if you don't agree that Cummings is driving things behind the scenes then that's fine. It's just a theory, however it is a popular one amongst people who are far better connected to the government than any of us - so i don't think calling Lust an 'Utter Moron' is fair. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

One thing we do know for certain is that two weeks were wasted pursuing a strategy that couldn't work and would have cost thousands more lives. The damage done by the delay to isolation could be massive. Once this is out the way why they chose this response will need to be examined.

I don't doubt that Cummings is the puppet master behind the scenes but I very much doubt even he would change the priority of the medical advice from the country's Head of the National Institute for Health Research, who happens to be Chris Whitty.

It's clear the modelling based on the data available at the time turned out to be wrong when compared where we should have been on the predicted curve and where we found ourselves.

If I was Whitty and all my professional advise was ignored to make way for some political gerrymandering by Cummings - fully knowing that that would cost lives, then I would resign as I'm sure most people put into that position would.

I don't know Whitty but this is how he is regarded -

As it happens, Prof Whitty is one of the foremost UK experts in infectious diseases. He is the official in the right place at the right time to be leading Britain's response to the coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51924796

Doesn't strike me as one who would be railroaded into doing something for political reasons than national health reasons so I'd expect him to quit too if that was ever forced upon him.

There's also been no rumours of his medical advise being supressed in order to facilitate Cummings wishes as to what should happen either - and wouldn't you think that would be being said by those who are 'far better connected to the government than any of us' because I most certainly would - as he's clearly made loads of enemies in his time.

So yes I think it was fair and reasonable comment to call anyone an utter moron for believing that in this country the nations health plays second fiddle to a political desire to look good in elections five years away whilst currently holding a 80 seat majority now!

The problem seems to have been that too much reliance was placed on China's reported figures for the initial modelling and when more 'honest' data came from what happened in Italy and fed into a more refined model the findings shocked everyone and hence the changes in action since then.

For anyone who believes the Chinese totals to be 100% true at the time we ran predictions based upon it I give you this -

The Chinese doctor who tried to warn others about coronavirus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51364382

Coronavirus: Why the 'spike' in increase in deaths and cases in Hubei

Just about everyone who's been following China's official coronavirus numbers has been able to see that they have been incomplete. Government officials know this too. There's no way they've accounted for everybody infected. How could they?
But at least we had what appeared to be a trend. We could observe the pattern to try and estimate the trajectory of outbreak. Now that's gone too.
You can understand why it has been decided that people who have virus symptoms, plus a CT scan showing chest infection, are now being counted in the "definitely infected" column. However, this has thrown the trend mapping into chaos.
Over the past 24 hours in Hubei alone, nearly 15,000 people were moved into the infected column. This would have sent shockwaves around the world, but actually, if you consider Wednesday's cases by the old definition, the rate could well mean another day of decline: a completely different picture.
So now, we're scratching our heads: do we start looking at the pattern all over again from Thursday onwards? This has also left many wondering what the real death rate must have been over recent weeks and the extent to which we should be treating the overall figures seriously anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51482994

China accuses US of bringing coronavirus to Wuhan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/china-accuses-us-of-bringing-coronavirus-to-wuhan-c9rrfbrs7

564Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 14:27

I haven't read anyone suggest he has changed the priority of medical advice, just that he was one of the main proponents of the policy and that he took a rather callous outlook on it's expected results.

Fuck knows what argument you're trying to manufacture here.

565Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 14:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's so much rumour and bullshit going around.

I went to Morrisons at 9.30am this morning, it was quiet and most of the shelves were fully stocked. The self service checkout was completely empty. I got toilet roll, hand wash, Twirls and everything else I wanted.

Perhaps folk in Preston are just better behaved and less likely to panic?

566Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:There's so much rumour and bullshit going around.

I went to Morrisons at 9.30am this morning, it was quiet and most of the shelves were fully stocked. The self service checkout was completely empty. I got toilet roll, hand wash, Twirls and everything else I wanted.

Perhaps folk in Preston are just better behaved and less likely to panic?
Or they saw you going in and ran for their lives.

567Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:12

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:I haven't read anyone suggest he has changed the priority of medical advice, just that he was one of the main proponents of the policy and that he took a rather callous outlook on it's expected results.

Fuck knows what argument you're trying to manufacture here.

Eh???

If I recall correctly it is YOU that stuck your beak into argue.

All this started from was when I posted a video from a tweet showing what the governments policy was so we could all understand it that bit easier.

He who knows everything decided to tell us why the government was going wrong and decided that was because Cummings had decided political votes in five years time were more important that the nations health current health and what is best to fight the virus.

Utter bonkers obviously but he persisted with that line rather than simply accept he'd got it wrong.

You jumped in with the Sunday Times article which simply shows he fully supported the Chief Medical Advisors recommendation and didn't squash whatever it originally was a substituted his own 'political' more acceptable one instead.

Yes Cummings made some callus remarks, but he probably thought he was off the record at the time and in any event just stating the obvious to all and what most of us know already namely that it is the old and infirm that are the most mortally vulnerable to the virus one of which is my own brother.

As I've said I've taken the article at face value (unlike some) so how can it possibly be me that's trying to manufacturing an argument?  I'm not the ones trying to read into it things that are simply not there.

It's not me that trying to twist things based on personal prejudices over ones political affiliations. 

Not me that is trying to point score.

Last edited by Sluffy on Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:15; edited 1 time in total

568Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Bugger !
I've just got an email from the NHS telling me I'm at risk, and confining me to the house for 12 weeks.
I'm supposed to be working from 1830 to midnight and I can't get hold of anyone, and 3 contractors are supposed to be turning up.

569Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:16

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

JUST CHILL.

570Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:18

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

T.R.O.Y wrote:Literally the point of a forum.
No it isn't. Look up the meaning of forum. I dont see bitching or childish behaviour mentioned.

571Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:20

gloswhite wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:Literally the point of a forum.
No it isn't. Look up the meaning of forum. I dont see bitching or childish behaviour mentioned.

What's childish about discussing the government response to a public health crisis?

572Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:21

gloswhite wrote:Bugger !
I've just got an email from the NHS telling me I'm at risk, and confining me to the house for 12 weeks.
I'm supposed to be working from 1830 to midnight and I can't get hold of anyone, and 3 contractors are supposed to be turning up.

Sorry to read that, good luck - im sure boredom will prove to be the worst part!

573Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:

Sorry to read that, good luck - im sure boredom will prove to be the worst part!
Make sure you have footwear suited to long spells in the house.

574Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My Dad's just phoned as happy as I've heard him in years.

He's just received a phone call from John McGinlay asking if he's ok and does he need any help. Apparently he's ringing around all the over 70 season ticket holders on behalf of the club.

And McGinlay was happy to chat, he spent 20 minutes talking about the great times in the 90s.

Say what you want about the club and John McGinlay, but they both deserve a massive amount of credit for making a few peoples day a whole lot better.

575Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:My Dad's just phoned as happy as I've heard him in years.

He's just received a phone call from John McGinlay asking if he's ok and does he need any help. Apparently he's ringing around all the over 70s season ticket holders on behalf of the club.

And McGinlay was happy to chat, he spent 20 minutes talking about the great times in the 90s.

Say what you want about the club and John McGinlay, but they both deserve a massive amount of credit for making a few peoples day a whole lot better.
Hang on - didn't Stuffy inform us that he was a very bad man for saying nasty things about King Ken? Tell your dad to stop hobnobbing with undesirables or he risks being inundated with lengthy irrelevant diatribes and personal abuse.

576Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:42

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

He's just received a phone call from John McGinlay asking if he's ok and does he need any help. Apparently he's ringing around all the over 70 season ticket holders on behalf of the club.

Nice to hear some good news and well done John McGinlay.

577Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well done SJM and the Mighty Whites.

578Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:43

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Obviously your decision glos and you are in the high risk category but suppose you hadn't checked your email until after 1830.

579Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 16:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:

He's just received a phone call from John McGinlay asking if he's ok and does he need any help. Apparently he's ringing around all the over 70s season ticket holders on behalf of the club.

Hang on - didn't Stuffy inform us that he was a very bad man for saying nasty things about King Ken? Tell your dad to stop hobnobbing with undesirables or he risks being inundated with lengthy irrelevant diatribes and personal abuse.

How utterly pathetic are you???

We are talking about someone's dad in real life who is in the at risk category for his health and wellbeing, being delighted that he's received an unexpected call from one of his footballing idols and you've turned it into an Anderson issue and personal point scoring against me???

For fuck's sake try thinking of others rather than yourself ALL the time.

Natasha I'm happy for your dad and respect the club to be doing such a thing.  

I'm sure we all are apart from this looney who clearly cares for no one other than himself.

Fair play to McGinlay making people's days right now.

580Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 29 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 23 2020, 16:37

What’s that you said about bitching Glos?  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 29 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum