Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - will we survive?

+19
summercummings
Bollotom2014
Norpig
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
Ten Bobsworth
Leeds_Trotter
y2johnny
MartinBWFC
luckyPeterpiper
BoltonTillIDie
doffcocker
okocha
Cajunboy
wanderlust
karlypants
Angry Dad
finlaymcdanger
boltonbonce
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 45 of 50]

881Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Apr 09 2020, 23:03

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just seen that Bonce and it's a nice story for a change. Smile

882Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Apr 09 2020, 23:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Just seen that Bonce and it's a nice story for a change. Smile
Certainly is. Don't know about you KP, but this lockdown is sending my internal clock haywire. I sometimes forget if it's eight in the morning or eight at night. Shocked

883Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Apr 09 2020, 23:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:Thanks Sluffy. You seem to get paranoid in a situation like this as I do.

Nobody wants to take a risk with it.

Nice to hear that Boris is out of ICU now!

It does makes some of us think about our mortality that's for sure.

At my age and with my health condition I must be in the at risk category although I've not received any official notification to the effect.

I fairly certain that I'm probably ok if I did get the virus but my worry is that if I did need hospitalisation/ventilation, and demand is so high as to allocate on a priority basis, then my age and health would definitely count against me if say the choice was between myself and say a thirtysomething business woman from Preston - and really I couldn't disagree myself of such a choice.

The thing that annoys me most is when I venture out for a little bit of exercise is that I inevitably nearly get run over by joggers and/or cyclists who clearly are at times very much closer than the recommended 2 meters.

I have in my mind not only that they are frequently too close than they should be but also they are working hard and thus breathing hard and more frequently and 'pumping' out a great deal of breath that I inevitably will breath some of it in.

I don't know if others who are non smokers notice but I can often smell cigarette smoke a fair distance away from the smokers, most of which would have come from their breath.

The same must apply more so to the joggers and cyclists and surprise, surprise I've read this today -

20:27
Runners should be 10m away, says research

Anna Holligan
BBC News reporter cycling in The Hague
With the gyms closed and public transport to be avoided, many of us are running or cycling or simply walking to keep fit, commute or just catch a breath of fresh air. But a group of researchers are warning we should perhaps beware.
While the standard social distancing rule between 1–2 metres may be effective when you are standing still inside, according to a new simulation, people who are in motion should be given a wider berth to avoid passing on the Coronavirus.
In a simulation they found a pedestrian or cyclist sneezes, coughs or even just exhales, the saliva particles are left behind in the air.
Which means the person coming up behind you passes through this cloud of droplets.
By using methods used to enhance athletes performances, the teams from Eindhoven University of Technology and Leuven University found the greatest risk of infection exists in the slipstream.
On the basis of these results - which haven’t yet been published - they advise that those on the move should be given more of a social distance.
Walkers should get at least 4 metres, runners 10 metres and for cyclists at least 20 metres.
Something that’s pretty unrealistic in most cities.
And the teams have jumped the gun a bit, going to press before actually publishing a study, bypassing the normal route.
Jogging during the day has already been banned in Paris, this research may encourage us to think twice before overtaking, to ensure we’re getting a healthy breath of fresh air - rather than one that might include a strangers saliva particles.
Although there is no suggestion that cycling, running or walking is irresponsible during a pandemic. The advice in many places battling the virus is to stay at home as much as possible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52225173

I've simply move well out their way if I see them coming or just been holding my breath for as long as I can until I'm as far past the joggers/cyclists if I haen't but I still have some of the bastards shouting at me to get out the way as the cycle up behind me.

So much for respecting each others space then.

The selfish pillocks don't even think I could be a carrier myself who hasn't reacted to the virus - but could give it them!  

Obviously I hope I'm not but it just shows how thick many people actually are.

Hope they all get joggers nipple or saddle sores - or both!

Very Happy

Yes good news about Boris, hope he makes a complete recovery.

884Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Apr 09 2020, 23:31

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:Just seen that Bonce and it's a nice story for a change. Smile
Certainly is. Don't know about you KP, but this lockdown is sending my internal clock haywire. I sometimes forget if it's eight in the morning or eight at night. Shocked

Well in all fairness, I am drinking booze and eating more. My mum sent me a picture of her lunch with a glass of wine and it was only 12pm and it seems everyone is doing the same because there isn't much to do. She joked that we would all become overweight alcoholics by the time this ended!

After popping round with some groceries for my mum, the house further down I know are terrified of getting it. The daughter I think is 69 and the mum is getting on for 90 and they are stuck inside their house like everyone else and we all know it's depressisng.

I popped round to check on them and had quite a long chat with them through the window which helped a lot and help lifttheir spirits a bit due to their loneliness.

It's all just a sad and depressing situation right now.

885Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Apr 09 2020, 23:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

At the moment my motto is, when in doubt, hit the couch. A little snooze can give you a lift.

886Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Apr 09 2020, 23:40

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

I fairly certain that I'm probably ok if I did get the virus

I'm picking this bit out of your post because this virus isn't targeting certain people whether it's age, gender or ethnicity, it is targeting everyone and there is no certainty at all with this.

But there was an article somewhere that said most people of a certain age died from this i think over 60?

The reason I am pointing this out is that from what you have said, I wouldn't want you or others to be ignorant to it if that makes sense.

Last edited by karlypants on Thu Apr 09 2020, 23:45; edited 1 time in total

887Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Apr 09 2020, 23:40

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:At the moment my motto is, when in doubt, hit the couch. A little snooze can give you a lift.

I have noticed that I am sleeping more on the couch. Very Happy

888Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Apr 09 2020, 23:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

To be quite honest I can't seen this going away for atleast 12 months.

Everywhere has a high risk of this having a second wave.

Does anyone else think the same?

889Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 08:29

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I would be amazed if there isn't a second wave. It is the normal pattern for viral infections. Until we have a vaccine or herd immunity it won't go away. The bottom line is that more people are going to die and that most of them will be elderly and/or have underlying medical conditions. We can flatten the curve but we can't stop the virus killing people.

890Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 10:33

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Nice-2-metre

891Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 11:29

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

I fairly certain that I'm probably ok if I did get the virus

I'm picking this bit out of your post because this virus isn't targeting certain people whether it's age, gender or ethnicity, it is targeting everyone and there is no certainty at all with this.

But there was an article somewhere that said most people of a certain age died from this i think over 60?

The reason I am pointing this out is that from what you have said, I wouldn't want you or others to be ignorant to it if that makes sense.

What I was saying was based on percentages really.

From what we seem to know so far of those we KNOW who had it something like only 3% have gone on to die from it,

However it is suspected that many people have caught it and survived, so many in fact that if the belief is right and added to those who are known to have it then the percentage rate of those going on to die is 1% or even lower.

Some like Wanderlust earlier in this thread believed there was an orchestrated government cover up of those dying from the virus NOT being added to the official total of deaths but that's just bollocks and him believing everything he sees on social media.  In fact any deaths outside those recorded of the virus in hospital (ie the NHS daily totals) ARE retrospectively added to the total by the Office of National Statistics -

Separate figures, published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) also suggest the number of people dying with coronavirus is higher than the daily totals indicate.

The ONS examined registrations and found deaths in the community not included in the daily hospital deaths figures.

In the week to 27 March, for the 501 deaths recorded in hospitals the ONS also found 38 deaths linked to coronavirus in the community.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52167016

So that roughly a 4% rise on a 3% death total of KNOWN virus deaths - which is  basically 3.12% - so hardly statistically significant and again DOESN'T take into account the unknown number of people who have had the virus unknowingly (I have a nephew whose his father (my brother - who himself is undergoing cancer treatment) and I strongly think is one of them - although we of course don't know for sure - his wife having MS is scared shitless about possibly catching it herself - and my nephew caught whatever he did catch from his son who had it initially - all before lockdown too!  All are still well though.

Moving on we then look at the distribution of the deaths to age, which really starts to take off from 70 and over - I'm not there just yet!

So statistic wise I'm unlikely to catch the virus (who knows I may have had it already unknowingly and never realised it) and if I did the odds of it killing me are still in my favour PROVIDING I get the required hospital treatment/ventilation if I so need it - and that's the point I have worries about.

There's far more people at risk of catching the virus than me - all those doctors and nurses for a start - and I'm fairly sensible and level headed most of the time so I think there is a low risk of catching the virus in the current conditions and a more than decent chance I'd survive if I did.

There's not much point living in fear, you'd never cross a road for fear of getting knocked down if you did.

I'm not reckless, I accept I'm mortal but I may as make the most out of life as long as I'm able to and I'll try my best not to catch the virus whilst doing so.

Thanks for caring about me though - I do appreciate it!

Hope you and your family keep safe too - and despite anything else if you feel it is right to wash your hobnobs or whatever, then carry on doing it - it's your peace of mind and doing whatever you believe is the right thing to protect the ones you love, that counts.

892Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 12:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Nice-2-metre
Nice looking dude. Who is he? Razz

893Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 15:40

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I find the attitude of some police officers a little bit disturbing. What kind of halfwit talks about checking people's supermarket trolleys or telling a family not to play in their own front garden? Whatever happened to common sense?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52245937

894Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 15:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I wonder if Twirls and Vimto are 'non essential'?

To some people of course, they're vital.

895Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 15:53

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:I find the attitude of some police officers a little bit disturbing. What kind of halfwit talks about checking people's supermarket trolleys or telling a family not to play in their own front garden? Whatever happened to common sense?

They should be in the back garden.

896Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 15:54

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:I find the attitude of some police officers a little bit disturbing. What kind of halfwit talks about checking people's supermarket trolleys or telling a family not to play in their own front garden? Whatever happened to common sense?

Its rare that the Police have been accused of this particular trait.

897Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 15:58

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Cajunboy wrote:

Why?

898Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 15:59

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:

Its rare that the Police have been accused of this particular trait.

Smile

899Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 16:15

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:
Cajunboy wrote:

Why?
You obviously don't get my sense of humour.

900Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 45 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Apr 10 2020, 16:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The people in the apartment below mine are currently having a party in the communal garden. There are 6 people, of which only two live in the complex. I suspect the others are parents & siblings.

Should I do something?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 45 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum